Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic the Hedgehog - 50Hz Effect - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 4 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Sonic the Hedgehog - 50Hz Effect

#31 User is offline mentski 

Posted 24 March 2016 - 11:09 PM

• Pfff.
  • Project:Being a mysterious face.
I hold no nostalgia for 50hz, for I was a member of the Glorious NTSC Grey Import Mega Drive Master Race, and as such, looked down on my lowly friends with their slow Mega Drives with their white detailing, crappy looking logo, and no where near as cool looking golden "16-BIT" text.

Yes: I was THAT arsehole.

#32 User is offline winterhell 

Posted 25 March 2016 - 04:18 AM

I grew up with all the Mega Drive games + Chaotix on PAL 50Hz. Nowadays I don't ever look back and play only the 60Hz versions.

#33 User is offline Nova 

Posted 25 March 2016 - 04:31 AM

• オ カ エ リ ナ サ λ
  • Wiki edits:17
Personally, even though I played almost nothing else until the release of the PlayStation, 50hz Sonic didn't really have a huge effect on me. Played it that way as a kid but when I got Mega Collection after losing my Mega Drive and games, I played Sonic 1 and I instantly put in the NTSC code to play the 60hz version. I guess emulation did that to me, as I had been playing the games on my PC for a while before this. It's why whenever I do my yearly marathon of the games, I start with Taxman's Sonic 1 or even Mega Collection.

#34 User is offline Aerosol 

Posted 25 March 2016 - 05:05 AM

• FML and FU2
  • Project:Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
Do you really only marathon the games once a year? I blitz through Sonic 2 whenever I have a spare 40-minutes or so with nothing better to do :v:

#35 User is offline Nova 

Posted 25 March 2016 - 05:27 AM

• オ カ エ リ ナ サ λ
  • Wiki edits:17
Well, I sometimes play them throughout the year but I generally only go back to Sonic 1 if I'm doing 'the marathon'.

#36 User is offline Yuzoboy 

Posted 02 April 2016 - 05:25 PM

I also grew up with the 50Hz PAL versions of Sonic 1, 2 and loved the music as a child. Even now when I listen to the slower versions, especially Labyrinth Zone, I can be taken back to the simpler days of gaming non-stop after school :)

#37 User is offline Sir_mihael 

Posted 03 April 2016 - 06:53 PM

• DON'T TRUST THIS MAN
I do kinda love the slowed down PAL Sonic 1. It's half the reason I keep the PAL PS2 'Mega Collection Plus' around, just for that reason. That being said, I normally try to avoid PAL whenever I can these days, unless the devs have done a good job to optimize the game to compensate.

Konami were crazy good at PAL optimization back in the day. Fullscreen, full speed. They even fixed bugs from the US releases of certain games (Suikoden II immediately comes to mind).

Seems like 50hz is still an issue with certain Virtual Console/PSN releases though. Was the PAL Wii Sonic 1 release slowed down still?

#38 User is offline Clownacy 

Posted 03 April 2016 - 08:06 PM

Oddly, despite my first experiences of Sonic being at 50hz, the slow music and gameplay doesn't strike me as familiar at all. Maybe it's because I spent the later part of my childhood playing the Mega Drive titles on the Gamecube Mega Collection, but 60hz has always been the way I know.

Frankly, even if I stuck with 50hz for longer than I did, I'd never go back to it. If it wasn't the way it was intended to be played, it isn't the way it should be played.
This post has been edited by Clownacy: 03 April 2016 - 08:08 PM

#39 User is offline DigitalDuck 

Posted 04 April 2016 - 09:15 AM

• Arriving four years late.
  • Project:TurBoa, S1RL

View PostClownacy, on 03 April 2016 - 08:06 PM, said:

Frankly, even if I stuck with 50hz for longer than I did, I'd never go back to it. If it wasn't the way it was intended to be played, it isn't the way it should be played.

I disagree with this statement.

The way a game should be played is the way the player enjoys most. For example, the way Sonic CD should be played, for me, is by ignoring the special stages entirely and smashing all the generators and holograms. The way Sonic '06 should be played, for me, is by using the gems to jump out of bounds and do random shit with the dodgy physics engine.

I don't play Sonic in 50Hz because I prefer it in 60Hz. It would've been 50Hz as a kid, but since I've been able to emulate it I've always used 60Hz versions. Even if it was intended to be played in 50Hz, it's better in 60Hz.

#40 User is offline E-122-Psi 

Posted 04 April 2016 - 10:43 AM

• Wiki edits:41
I grew up with the 50hz version, though I remember feeling the slower take was a bit odd and even a bit eerie. Since I had played Sonic 2 first I noticed off the bat that the theme song was slower and more basic and, along with the more basic controlling and speed cap, the whole thing felt like it was trudging much more.

I remember seeing a version in an Arcade booth that played the proper speed and thinking 'Ahh it all makes sense now', even if I didn't figure out yet it was the difference in frame rates and just thought I had brought a buggy Sonic 1.

#41 User is offline Naean 

Posted 04 April 2016 - 03:14 PM

• Self-employed artist with affinity for fine detail pen drawings.
  • Project:2D. Sonic Level Designs
  • Wiki edits:24
I grew up playing the 50 hertz version of Sonic 1, and honestly, I much prefer some of its music played slower.

While I think that some of its music tracks are better suited to the 60 hertz version's speed, I significantly enjoy Marble Zone, Labyrinth Zone, Final Zone, Special Stages and especially Star Light Zone music tracks played on the 50 hertz version's speed. Star Light Zone is the one that really sticks out to me the most, as it simply sounds "too rushed" and "off" for me in the 60 hertz version. Its melody, to me, is one that works best at a slower pace, and sounds really relaxing and dream-like in the 50 hertz version. :)
This post has been edited by Naean: 04 April 2016 - 03:16 PM

#42 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 04 April 2016 - 08:41 PM

• Wiki edits:18

View PostNaean, on 04 April 2016 - 03:14 PM, said:

Its melody, to me, is one that works best at a slower pace, and sounds really relaxing and dream-like in the 50 hertz version. :)

That's nice when you want to go to sleep, but for a fast-paced videogame? Naaah. =P

#43 User is offline Sir_mihael 

Posted 06 April 2016 - 11:16 PM

• DON'T TRUST THIS MAN

View PostNaean, on 04 April 2016 - 03:14 PM, said:

I grew up playing the 50 hertz version of Sonic 1, and honestly, I much prefer some of its music played slower.

While I think that some of its music tracks are better suited to the 60 hertz version's speed, I significantly enjoy Marble Zone, Labyrinth Zone, Final Zone, Special Stages and especially Star Light Zone music tracks played on the 50 hertz version's speed. Star Light Zone is the one that really sticks out to me the most, as it simply sounds "too rushed" and "off" for me in the 60 hertz version. Its melody, to me, is one that works best at a slower pace, and sounds really relaxing and dream-like in the 50 hertz version. :)/>

It's rare I get to legit use the phrase "Oooh.. Right in the childhood." But that was it. Perfect.

I don't think I could play through Star Light Zone now with this tempo, but man, it works so well as a standalone tune. I swear some of the 50hz Castlevania tunes had a good beat to them slowed down as well. I'll have to try and run the ROM in 50 to remember.

#44 User is offline redhotsonic 

Posted 20 May 2016 - 11:52 AM

• Also known as RHS
  • Project:Sonic Bash!
  • Wiki edits:24
Sorry for the bump, but I said I was going to do it, and I finally have. Here is a 10 minute video to explain my views on Sonic 1 in 50Hz.

LINK

#45 User is offline Kosinski 

Posted 08 June 2016 - 02:57 PM

The 60hz version was alright and pretty damn good, but it can't give me the same level of nostalgia the 50hz version did.
I was born in Europe and I had an european Mega Drive way back then, bundled with a copy of Sonic 1. The levels, music, feel, graphics were just great.
Now I have a Genesis import from US and the game has a negative-vibe to it. It almost feels like an entirely different game.
I enjoy 50 hertz Spring Yard Zone far more compared to the 60 hz version IMO.
It almost feels like SYZ was meant to be played at that speed.
This post has been edited by Kosinski: 09 June 2016 - 02:37 AM

• 4 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users