Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Cancelled SegaSonic game SegaSonic Bros. (1992) found - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 26 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Cancelled SegaSonic game SegaSonic Bros. (1992) found Found by guy who found and dumped the popcorn machine thing

#376 User is offline Prototype 

Posted 17 January 2019 - 03:37 AM

So, what are the odds that there may be some other weird SegaSonic branded games stashed away somewhere?

#377 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 17 January 2019 - 12:37 PM

• match up tails to the cards
  • Project:you just can't catch 'em, wiggly worms
  • Wiki edits:20,569

View PostPrototype, on 17 January 2019 - 03:37 AM, said:

So, what are the odds that there may be some other weird SegaSonic branded games stashed away somewhere?

Clues for this one were right in front of our face - EGM openly talked about its existence and other magazines dropped hints... but nobody was paying attention. I don't think the value of old gaming magazines is quite as appreciated as it should be.

https://retrocdn.net..._magazine_scans

You are almost certain to find other examples. Maybe not of Sonic arcade games, but definitely unreleased and prototype things that nobody has documented online.

#378 User is offline Yoritoshi 

Posted 18 January 2019 - 05:56 PM

• Project:Cosmic Boll
https://www.youtube....h?v=xNSjm7HZm-Y
2:20 to 2:40 is the fastest the game can be cleared. Now for some words.

SegaSonic Bros. just feels really unusual, and it does need some investment from the player to make sense. The tutorial doesn't seem to explain that the game isn't endless and you have the goal of either capping level or score. Getting 10 million points as soon as possible is, then, the most Sonical and "correct" way of playing the game to completion. And to work towards that, we're given a single method: full screen clears, which give a score multiplier that only works for further back-to-back full screen clears. Everything else is a distraction, as clearing anything under the fourth row while leaving leftovers is worth an insignificant amount of points, breaks the multiplier and can make the board uneven and hard to work with until the next Chaos Emerald comes. Traditional chains aren't rewarded at all, either.

I felt torn while resetting over and over until I got that 2:35 time. Would people have cared to get their names on the best times table? It is an ok fun game and looks flashy. It requires skill to arrange the spheres so you don't clear anything before you want to, but also luck because we obviously can't guess at which row a full clear will be available right every time. However, when one figures the game is leaning so much on a single working strategy, some aspects end up ringing hollow. I don't feel like getting to level 99 when even seeing the white Sonics appear make me already feel defeated. Also rather annoying is that just like in Columns we can only spin the blocks in one direction.

But in the end I'm just glad to see the game out there after all.

#379 User is offline Powpuck 

Posted 21 January 2019 - 03:35 PM

View PostPrototype, on 06 January 2019 - 02:53 AM, said:

So obviously the Sonic band colours are inconsistent between the game and concept art, but I gotta say that I just love the "White with Red Crest" colouring for Sharps. Makes him look like this little stout angry chicken man, which appeals to me more than a parakeet.

I suppose if he were a rooster, Sonic's band would be taking the phrase "rock out with your cock out" to the literal extreme.

I don't believe the bird was ever meant to be anything other than a parrot; the red-and-white scheme in particular are evocative of salmon-crested cockatoos, as does the blunt beak.

http://farm3.staticf...01b2_z.jpg?zz=1

Further, both cockatoos and parakeets are members of the greater parrot family, the psittacines. Naoto Ohshima even tweeted that he was named Max the Parrot, suggesting that he was using the species interchangeably. The implications for the monkey haven't been stated.

https://mobile.twitt...791068586233856
This post has been edited by Powpuck: 21 January 2019 - 03:50 PM

• 26 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users