Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Chaotix Hacking (formerly Chaotix Level Editing) - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 10 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Chaotix Hacking (formerly Chaotix Level Editing) In case you haven't noticed what I'm doing to the SCHG page...

#76 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 03 March 2010 - 02:16 PM

• Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10
QUOTE (DigitalDuck @ Mar 3 2010, 11:15 AM)
QUOTE (Dark Sonic @ Mar 3 2010, 07:06 PM)
Wow that's actually kind of cool, an original genesis styled Super Sonic. But you have to wonder, seeing as how they just based the sprites for Sonic off those from Sonic 1, why wouldn't they have just used Sonic 2 Super Sonic?

There were sprites for Sonic in Chaotix? Even if so, they were probably just ripped from Crackers, which was for standalone MegaDrive. They'd want to rework the sprites to take full advantage of the improved graphics the 32X offers.

Well Crackers, Chaotix, whatever. Either way when Sonic was in that game a lot of his sprites were based off his Sonic 1 sprites, with a different palette however.

#77 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 03 March 2010 - 03:28 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
QUOTE (SGR @ Mar 3 2010, 07:11 PM)
QUOTE (Dark Sonic @ Mar 3 2010, 02:06 PM)
QUOTE (SGR @ Mar 3 2010, 09:23 AM)
Made some mockups:

Most of the coloring was guesswork using mostly existing Chaotix colors. Only two custom colors had to be used, one for the bright whites and one for the coloring on the shoes. I'm uncertain about those white splotches, but I had to improvise. Also the arm positioning, again, was improvised.

Wow that's actually kind of cool, an original genesis styled Super Sonic. But you have to wonder, seeing as how they just based the sprites for Sonic off those from Sonic 1, why wouldn't they have just used Sonic 2 Super Sonic?

The main theory that's going around right now is that these specific sprites are leftovers from a potential alternate ending. Seeing as how they redrew Tails for the biplane, I'm guessing they just wanted to make different sprites for it, that's all. v smile.png v

Makes sense, yeah.

These are still pretty damn awesome though! Are these the last made official classic Sonic sprites, do you think? SPA had green eyes, so doesn't count...

#78 User is online Master Emerald 

Posted 03 March 2010 - 03:37 PM

• Project:-
  • Wiki edits:22
SPA had green eyes, so doesn't count...

SPA is just classics+green eyes+strong belly =P.

#79 User is offline Diablohead 

Posted 03 March 2010 - 03:42 PM

• Indie dev
  • Project:games
  • Wiki edits:16
I like how the 32x super sonic looks, rather slick.

*edit* what sonic 4 should have been like...
This post has been edited by Diablohead: 03 March 2010 - 03:43 PM

#80 User is offline Heran Bago 

Posted 03 March 2010 - 05:29 PM

• Ah! It's Puyo battle then.
  • Project:勉強
  • Wiki edits:4
Stuff is still being discovered hidden in Chaotix. Amazing.

These sprites would make sense for a prototype ending but also make sense as protos from a proposed/scrapped proper intro. Intro comes to mind because they're 32X remakes of the Sonic 3 intro sprites. It would have been a good starting plot point to say or show why Sonic, Tails, and "Going Super" aren't in the game. If it were to be practically a repeat of the Sonic 3 intro or difficult to implement than it would be first in line to the cutting board.

#81 User is offline SGR 

Posted 03 March 2010 - 05:59 PM

• It's time for Animaniacs.
  • Wiki edits:84
QUOTE (Heran Bago @ Mar 3 2010, 05:29 PM)
If it were to be practically a repeat of the Sonic 3 intro or difficult to implement than it would be first in line to the cutting board.

objection.gif

Incorrect. These sprites are not in the 1207 proto, so if it was first in line, why have they been discovered inside the final game?

Your idea of intro is plausible too. We'll just never truly know unless we get in contact with someone. If that ever happens, that is. :P
This post has been edited by SGR: 03 March 2010 - 06:00 PM

#82 User is offline Andlabs 

Posted 03 March 2010 - 06:27 PM

• 「いっきまーす」
  • Project:Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
  • Wiki edits:7,061
QUOTE (SGR @ Mar 3 2010, 05:59 PM)
Your idea of intro is plausible too. We'll just never truly know unless we get in contact with someone. If that ever happens, that is. :P

Do a quick Google search for any of the programmers and tell me how many you find are NOT also the names of other famous Japanese people and that have done anything in the past five years. Our best bet is probably an artist.
This post has been edited by Andlabs: 03 March 2010 - 06:28 PM

#83 User is offline Ross-Irving 

Posted 03 March 2010 - 09:38 PM

• Wiki edits:1
Wowee! Super Sonic, along with Tails in the Tornado in Chaotix. Andlabs, good for you making the discovery, that's awesome. SGR, the mockups are absolutely nifty. Now my mind is jumping around with questions. What plans did the developers have with these? I'm guessing a cameo appearance, but then again Sonic Crackers was like some sort of thing that led into Chaotix. The Tails head sprite does look like its from Sonic 2 or 3, just rendered differently according to Chaotix's palette.

Just neat.

#84 User is offline SGR 

Posted 03 March 2010 - 09:50 PM

QUOTE (Ross-Irving @ Mar 3 2010, 09:38 PM)
The Tails head sprite does look like its from Sonic 2 or 3, just rendered differently according to Chaotix's palette.

It matches near-perfectly with the one in Crackers (which in turn was based off S2's/S3's), but it has been redrawn.

#85 User is offline True Dude 

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:00 PM

• Wiki edits:980
I gotta say I wasn't near interested in this thread, and I just stopped in real quick, and HOLY FUCK TAILS IN TORNADO AND AWESOME SUPER SONIC!!! Really makes you wonder what this game would've been if it hadn't been obviously rushed.

#86 User is offline RGamer2009 

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:07 PM

• True Blue
  • Wiki edits:3,086
QUOTE (True Dude @ Mar 3 2010, 11:00 PM)
I gotta say I wasn't near interested in this thread, and I just stopped in real quick, and HOLY FUCK TAILS IN TORNADO AND AWESOME SUPER SONIC!!! Really makes you wonder what this game would've been if it hadn't been obviously rushed.

Makes you wonder if we could "finish" Chaotix to use this cut material... :D

#87 User is offline True Dude 

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:19 PM

• Wiki edits:980
QUOTE (RGamer2009 @ Mar 3 2010, 10:07 PM)
QUOTE (True Dude @ Mar 3 2010, 11:00 PM)

Makes you wonder if we could "finish" Chaotix to use this cut material... :D

Now now, we've already attempted that with Sonic X-treme, and look how far that's got us.

Though this would be more like Sonic 2 Delta or Sonic 2 Longer Version, actually, and those worked out really well.

#88 User is offline SGR 

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:56 PM

WATCH THIS POST. It will be updated with animated possible unused objects soon.

Here's some unused stuff:

Not sure about this one. Isn't it in Techno Tower? Either way it's unfamiliar.

A banner of some kind. The original piece was just a small sliver, I assumed it needed to be flipped. Yes, that is the correct palette. Everything in the area it's found in uses it.

A bubble, also in 1207. Obvious what it was used for.

I'm guessing this is a bumper. There is also a yellow variant.

Splash, obvious. Also was in 1207.

Hey, it's Tobu! This time in his actual colors. Also a 1207 remnant.

I have no words to describe this.

Robotnik laughing. Two potential animations. These are used, just rarely seen.

What's he looking at?

also includes wing sprites I felt too lazy to upload.

More potential intro stuff?
This post has been edited by SGR: 04 March 2010 - 04:46 PM

#89 User is offline Andlabs 

Posted 04 March 2010 - 12:56 AM

• 「いっきまーす」
  • Project:Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
  • Wiki edits:7,061
Special Stages: Easy Mode (Iteration 1)
And so I leave the worlds of levels and art for a bit and start doing the special stages...

Basically at $80000 (lol convenient) you get six entries of eight bytes of the form

CODE
long    Address of palette for stage
byte    # of blue spheres necessary for part 1
byte    # of blue spheres necessary for part 2
word    $FFFF

Sorry, no hidden Special Stages (yet...?)

By the way, pretty much everything related to data loading in the special stages is done SH-2 side, unlike the levels, which is all done 68000 side. I wonder why...
The 68000 writes the number of Chaos Rings, something else I have to determine, and the number of rings that you have upon entering... to the framebuffer of all places (instead of the convenient communication ports provided for that very purpose). Again, I wonder why...
This post has been edited by Andlabs: 04 March 2010 - 01:02 AM

#90 User is offline Neo 

Posted 04 March 2010 - 01:18 AM

• Clackerjack
  • Project:Sonic 3 Unlocked
  • Wiki edits:1

Why on earth didn't we look before!?

There's also some giant Mosqui in there, but I don't know their palette. Are they used anywhere in the game?
This post has been edited by Neo: 04 March 2010 - 01:23 AM

• 10 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users