Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Forces - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 258 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Sonic Forces

#3856 User is offline Deef 

Posted 17 September 2017 - 01:54 AM

The levels might be built around the story, but the story seems built around "Let's throw as much reminiscent junk as possible together and see if it sells."

#3857 User is offline HEDGESMFG 

Posted 17 September 2017 - 02:54 AM

I want Mania to outsell this, but I still want Forces to be good.

Heck, I've been rewatching Sonic X subbed all week again with official subs, and it reminded me of how much I still like the original cast, despite the mid 2000s "shitty friends" shenanigans.

The lack of a sonic plot I found interesting actually hurt my enjoyment of games like Unleashed/Lost Worlds. I let it slide for Generations and Colors a bit, but I still wasn't really fond of the former's near pointless story.

Leave the silent short cutscenes for classic Sonic, and even then at least give me full zone transitions.

Waiting and seeing. The recycled assets/levels debacle will prove just whether I preorder this.

#3858 User is offline Laughingcow 

Posted 17 September 2017 - 03:21 AM

The issue isn't with us (sane ones) wanting Forces to fail. We just want it to be good, and (based on everything we've seen) it's not looking that way. It has everything it needs to be good:

Solid premise in the "Hero army vs Evil Army".
Boost gameplay which has been done successfully for three games already.
A build-a-character system that panders to a significant part of the Sonic fanbase.
A stupid theme song reminiscent of the Adventure games.
Classic Sonic who's popularity has unquestionably skyrocketed after the success of Sonic Mania.
Knuckles NOT being portrayed as a retard.

Yet, here we are. Many still skeptical about the game. Because the simple fact of that matter: Having all the ingredients to make a delicious cake doesn't mean you'll make a delicious cake.

The hero army is a background piece and the Evil army is recycled.
The Boost gameplay and level design (based on what has been shown) has not improved over the previous games.
The Build-a-character system seems pointless with none of the wisp-ons looking particularly unique.
The theme song sounds like something that should be playing while Sonic and OC are unclogging a toilet. Compared to "Dreams of an Absolution", it's lacking.
The physics of Classic Sonic (which are important as it was a major criticism of Generations) haven't been fixed and may be worse now.

So far, the only thing in the "ingredients" that is working would be Knuckles being the resistance leader. Even then, they could still fudge that up if it turns out they're losing because he sucks at his job...
This post has been edited by Laughingcow: 17 September 2017 - 03:22 AM

#3859 User is offline Atendega 

Posted 16 minutes ago

• My toppest kek to thee
  • Project:Collecting insults from Lobotomy <3
Episode Shadow.

I approve.

This is the first time we've officially had another character playable with the boost formula, too.
This post has been edited by Atendega: 13 minutes ago

#3860 User is online Dark Sonic 

Posted 12 minutes ago

• Project:Posting a lot (I have a lot of time at work)
  • Wiki edits:10
Episode Shadow?

What the hell could this entail?

I'm actually somewhat interested.

EDIT: Here's the description btw:

Get EPISODE SHADOW to uncover the untold story of the new villain, Infinite, and rediscover three updated stages playing as Shadow. Plus, play as Shadow in over 10 Modern Sonic based stages!

Experience the full story behind the new villain's rise to power and as you find renewed replayablity across Modern Sonic stages. The fate of Sonic the Hedgehog's world is in your hands – Join the Uprising.

So we get Shadow Generations and the ability to play as Shadow in Modern Sonic's stages, and they say over 10 and so far we've seen 2. OK FINALLY, a slight window into this game's fucking content. I've almost been worried that this game is just going to be Green Hill and Ruined City.

Why'd it take them this long to realize that this is basically all people want when it comes to alternate playable characters btw? A character skin and some extra levels. Granted I don't care too much about Shadow, but seeing as how us Classic fans got Tails and Knuckles in this way in Mania, it's nice to see them throw a bone to Modern fans and give them their character in a similar way.
This post has been edited by Dark Sonic: 7 minutes ago

#3861 User is offline Atendega 

Posted 11 minutes ago

• My toppest kek to thee
  • Project:Collecting insults from Lobotomy <3

View PostDark Sonic, on 12 minutes ago, said:

What the hell could this entail?
Just scroll down :v:

Get EPISODE SHADOW to uncover the untold story of the new villain, Infinite, and rediscover three updated stages playing as Shadow. Plus, play as Shadow in over 10 Modern Sonic based stages!

Experience the full story behind the new villain's rise to power and as you find renewed replayablity across Modern Sonic stages. The fate of Sonic the Hedgehog's world is in your hands – Join the Uprising.
Also, the complete screenshot teased yesterday:
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Atendega: 6 minutes ago

#3862 User is online Dark Sonic 

Posted 5 minutes ago

• Project:Posting a lot (I have a lot of time at work)
  • Wiki edits:10
^ That is some lovely over the top anime esq nonsense. It's perfect :specialed:

As lovely as this is though how about some new levels :v:
This post has been edited by Dark Sonic: 2 minutes ago

#3863 User is online Xenomon 

Posted 2 minutes ago

Episode shadow? Kind of like episode met-

Wait a second...

• 258 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum