Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Genesis Chiptune Synth using oiginal hardware - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

Genesis Chiptune Synth using oiginal hardware

#1 User is offline Aesculapius Piranha 

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:13 PM

• つづく
  • Project:Diva
  • Wiki edits:6
http://hackaday.com/...original-chips/

The distinctive sound of consoles from that era has gained a significant following in the chiptunes community, with an active scene composing fresh pieces, and creating projects working with them. One such project is [jarek319]’s Sega Genesis native hardware chiptune synthesiser, in which music stored as VGM files on a MicroSD card are parsed by an ATSAMD21G18 processor and sent to a YM2612 and an SN76489 as you'd have found in the original console. The audio output matches the original circuit to replicate the classic sound as closely as possible, and there is even some talk about adding MIDI functionality for this hardware.

Not sure if there is already a topic somewhere on this, or if it is one of you all that did it, but it is pretty damn cool that someone went and did it.

#2 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:41 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
This is pretty damn awesome! Depending on the price I might get one of these.

#3 User is offline Breadbin 

Posted 17 February 2017 - 04:14 PM

This looks awesome. I'm always interesting in electronic hacking projects but have never actually got into them due to lack of knowledge, but I am always fascinated that things like this can be done.

So, as per the OP said, do you literally just load up a VGM file and this little parses it and plays it as accurately as possible. Do you think there would be any loss in sound quality through the parsing process?

Like Overlord, depending on the price I may have to pick one of these up.

#4 User is offline Donnyku 

Posted 17 February 2017 - 07:01 PM

• yay
  • Project:Pony Sprites
  • Wiki edits:2
now if only those Genesis/MegaDrive on a Chip systems could include these. Pretty awesome and I am wanting one

#5 User is offline kazblox 

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:02 PM

• Project:Sonic 3?
Something about that board sounds horribly wrong. The PSG chip here doesn't attempt to make any noise, as seen in the first video, plus the refresh rate timings seem to be done wrong on the VGM player here, as in the songs are slightly slower than usual...

Otherwise, this is a great effort, even with MIDI support.

Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users