Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic the Hedgehog (2019) movie - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 110 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Sonic the Hedgehog (2019) movie 4/30 - Trailer is live

#1621 User is offline Hitlersaurus Christ 

Posted 16 May 2019 - 04:09 AM

• Not actually a nazi, possibly the messiah, definitely a dinosaur
  • Project:SNOIC GENERATONS PLUS
From now on classic and modern are to be known as The Fat Mouse and The Detestable Green Eyed Demon respectively

#1622 User is offline UpCDownCLeftCRightC 

Posted 16 May 2019 - 06:17 AM

View PostLaughingcow, on 15 May 2019 - 09:46 PM, said:

View PostUpCDownCLeftCRightC, on 15 May 2019 - 02:28 PM, said:

That's.....not what i was after at all.
You can be a fan of whatever game you want and desire what you want. I also would be excited to see a remake of Sonic Adventure if it happened, it's one of my favorite games in the series. But that's not the point of my contention.

My point was that you are using a name to describe something that already has another name and not being careful or clear about it at all. Adventure Sonic clearly references the Sonic Adventure games to like 99% of people who have ever had a modest exposure to this franchise's history, whether you intend it to or not. The way you specified that thing in particular and then said SEGA is working on another game using that moniker, was done in a confusing manner. I can guarantee that nobody but you thought you actually meant "Modern Sonic" which is the "official" moniker of the character since 2011, literally by the company and head of sonic team who have said it innumerable amounts of times publicly. You may have a problem with the modern sonic title (I could agree with that in principle) and even choose to call sonic something else entirely to suit your preference. I'm fine with that, it's your choice. I would not complain about something that small and insignificant.
But if you're going to do it, you cant just cross reference something else as widely known as the adventure games and then not explain what you're doing because nobody is going to know what you mean. This also matters because we're on a forum where we like to discuss what may comes next as the franchise's big games and rumors and the like....not to mention, Sonic adventure 3 is something that is sort of loudly and constantly clamored for from a particular part of the fanbase.

Imagine you telling some other diehard sonic adventure fans that another "adventure sonic" game has been officially announced for next year....then that person looks into it and finds out its sonic generations 2, releasing November 2021. Obviously they're going to wonder why you made that statement, or wonder at the very least if you're some sort of troll.

Again you can call it whatever you like, but if you're going to cross reference some other distinct name that has been conventionally adopted for the majority of people in that subculture, at least be clear about it.

Nope.

You are putting way more thought into this than me. The problem is that your thoughts on "Adventure Sonic" don't have anything underneath. It's the same mythical mindset that expects a new Adventure game to be this amazing thing when it was just Sonic Forces (which a ton of Adventure fans hailed as some kind of second coming then quickly backpedaled when they realized the game was crap). There isn't a real definition beneath it so I'm going to use the term for the simple selfish desire to stop calling the current iteration "Modern". It's gonna confuse some people yeah, but unless you have a better term, I'll keep using it.

I'm sorry, what??

You came up with a designation that no one else recognizes but you. I simply told you the name that SEGA and the vast majority of people use. You very obviously will confuse people by your choice of the name "adventure sonic" when the clearly already references something everyone is already very familiar with. In general it doesnt matter what you call Sonic, I certainly do not care, but you did not bother explain what you meant and used a name that the overwhelming majority of people associate with something else.

On top of that you started talking about some random shit that has nothing to do with the conversation. My thoughts about the adventure games and expectations about the adventure games, meaningless adventure definitions....for crying out loud these have nothing at all to do with the topic at hand. Do you not understand that NO ONE cares how you are defining these things? You can define Sonic however you want!!! Hey, you can even call him Adventure Sonic for now on, just like you've always dreamed! But if you are going to do that and you know people aren't going to understand what you mean because the thing you're referencing is most often referred to by another name....just be clear about it first. Its not that important in general, it's just misleading when the conversation is about looking towards the next game in the franchise and everybody knows that the style and design across the series has had many variations and names commonly associated with those. It doesnt matter if the names are appropriate or not, that's not the point. Just be clear about what you're talking about.

This has gotten way OT so this will be my last reply to this.

#1623 User is offline Laughingcow 

Posted 16 May 2019 - 10:16 AM

View PostUpCDownCLeftCRightC, on 16 May 2019 - 06:17 AM, said:

In general it doesnt matter what you call Sonic, I certainly do not care

Adventure Sonic it is then.

Then, Uekawa Sonic, I guess?

I actually like that with Classic being "Ohshima Sonic" but I've been told nobody cares so I'll stick to Adventure Sonic. Someone needs to make a meme out of that with Oshima, Uekawa, and the movie version.

#1624 User is offline Aerosol 

Posted 16 May 2019 - 10:57 AM

• FML and FU2
  • Project:Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
The Stubborn is strong with this one.

No-one has said you're wrong per se, just that you're gonna mislead people. Which you seem fine with so case closed I guess.

#1625 User is online dot.kh 

Posted 16 May 2019 - 11:16 AM

• puniboy 4 president
Sorry, but...

...didn't Uekawa-san's Sonic debut in Sonic R?

Now, one line of dialogue that must never come to fruition: "I'm Modern, but you can call me Sonic!". Truth be told, the name "Modern Sonic" doesn't sound bad, but ultimately sucks because it was born of frustration about "modern Sonic games being not as good as the classic Sonic games" – but that's another story.
This post has been edited by dot.kh: 16 May 2019 - 11:32 AM

#1626 User is offline Laughingcow 

Posted 16 May 2019 - 11:34 AM

Damn, you're right. Uekawa-san was the "Character designer".
http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_R
I guess that makes Adventure Sonic his second chance at redesigning Sonic for 3d.

Yeah, stubborn and thick skinned though wouldn't it be ironic if that mainline Sonic game that's in development decided to continue the trend with Sonic Forces and try to do something kind of Adventure-ish.

#1627 User is offline The Growler 

Posted 16 May 2019 - 12:12 PM

How about call "Adventure-era Sonic" Late 90s ['98]/Early 2000s ['01] Sonic?

That will be both more accurate, and we'll know what era we're talking about.

But people are going off topic again on here
This post has been edited by The Growler: 16 May 2019 - 12:14 PM

#1628 User is offline Aerosol 

Posted 16 May 2019 - 12:28 PM

• FML and FU2
  • Project:Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
Yea let's all mourn the personal lives of the VFX team that will be chained to their desks for next 7 months instead.

#1629 User is offline grap3fruitman 

Posted 16 May 2019 - 05:25 PM

• Wiki edits:5
Heisei era Sonic and Reiwa era Sonic

#1630 User is offline High Fidelity 

Posted 17 May 2019 - 03:39 AM

View PostThe Growler, on 16 May 2019 - 12:12 PM, said:

How about call "Adventure-era Sonic" Late 90s ['98]/Early 2000s ['01] Sonic?

That will be both more accurate, and we'll know what era we're talking about.

But people are going off topic again on here

A better way to categorise it:

Good Sonic & Shit Sonic

#1631 User is online ICEknight 

Posted 17 May 2019 - 10:01 PM

• Wiki edits:18
Sheesh, can't you guys just call him his official internal name, Generic Sonic? :v:
This post has been edited by ICEknight: 17 May 2019 - 10:02 PM

#1632 User is offline netscapenow 

Posted 17 May 2019 - 10:20 PM

Obviously we should call Classic and Modern "Diddy Sonic" and "Lanky Sonic" respectively.

#1633 User is offline Hitlersaurus Christ 

Posted 17 May 2019 - 11:38 PM

• Not actually a nazi, possibly the messiah, definitely a dinosaur
  • Project:SNOIC GENERATONS PLUS
Dom Sonic and Sub Sonic

#1634 User is offline SystemsReady 

Posted 18 May 2019 - 01:28 PM

• Project:Right now just focusing on getting this new PC machine all set up!

View Postnetscapenow, on 17 May 2019 - 10:20 PM, said:

Obviously we should call Classic and Modern "Diddy Sonic" and "Lanky Sonic" respectively.

"Lanky Sonic" is Sonic 06 Sonic

#1635 User is offline Sir_mihael 

Posted 18 May 2019 - 02:01 PM

• DON'T TRUST THIS MAN

View PostSystemsReady, on 18 May 2019 - 01:28 PM, said:

View Postnetscapenow, on 17 May 2019 - 10:20 PM, said:

"Lanky Sonic" is Sonic 06 Sonic

I like to think the gems you buy in Sonic 06 turns him into a different member of the DK Crew each time.

• 110 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 1 anonymous users