Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Hacking Contest 2016: THE RESULTS - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Sonic Hacking Contest 2016: THE RESULTS We're all glad this is over...until 2017.

#31 User is offline Super Egg 

Posted 15 November 2016 - 04:10 PM

• Master of MS Paint.
  • Project:Sonic 2 beta 3 hoax
  • Wiki edits:46
Hey guys, I love all your potential Media Panel Suggestions, I really do. I would like to make note though, I've seen a few of you asking for MegaGWolf, Johnny, and RedHotSonic as part of the media panel. Fun fact guys, they already were!!! We made your dreams come true before the 2017 contest even started =V

Real talk, I want to take a notable cue from a lot of people asking for Cobanermani456. We tried contacting him, but he never responded back. He was with us I believe last year, so you know, anything is possible. We're working hard on getting him and a lot of new faces for next year, so keep the suggestion coming.

I would like to add, from reading a few evaluations, I'm seeing the words "biased" and "bigotry" being thrown around in a few evaluations. Hilarious might I add, but a little concerning. The other reason for this post is about streams content.

Here's the deal, we are human, and we are entitled to say whatever the fuck we want. We, well at least the rest of the media panelists, try to keep things rather tame. However, what people need to understand is that a lot of the more "adult" humor being thrown around is either tongue in cheek, extreme, or utterly sarcastic. If you honestly think any of us are bigots, then you clearly don't belong around anybody near here. On a personal note, I am well known for more over abundance of making humorous jabs at things people would call "controversial." However, I never mean anything seriously, unless it's clear I am not joking. So all this talk about bigotry, tl;dr, get over it. If SonicBoom, the guy who designed the sombrero badniks, is a Mexican, and finds all these supposed "racist" things hysterical, then y'all can grow some tougher skin as well. Seriously people, bigotry? Come on now.

As far as bias goes, we don't let personal grievances cloud our judgement. We give credit where credit is due. If we said your hack was shit, it wasn't because we have it out for you, your hack was just shit. Sorry, I'm not gonna sugarcoat things, but if we were heavily against any hacks, it's because they legitimately pissed us off. Royameadow's works pissed us off because we couldn't play them normally, and when some of us could finally play it, it ended up giving us eye aches. Blue Knuckles pissed us off because it was hot garbage that could be made in about 5 minutes. The rest infuriated us because of how basic they were. There is no bias, shit hacks were shit.

All in all, we work hard to get shit together, but you guys need to get your shit together as well. The judges' attitude is reflected by the quality of the entries.

In summary, remember, when life gives you shitty hacks, make sombreros!

#32 User is offline rata 

Posted 15 November 2016 - 07:43 PM

• Project:Trying to be useful somehow.
Okay, now I'm lost with all theese sombreros thing. What did I miss?

Side note, it not necessary to call them sombreros while speaking Englisk, Sombrero means Hat.

#33 User is offline Spanner 

Posted 16 November 2016 - 10:27 AM

• Sonic Hacking Contest Lead Organiser
  • Project:Sonic the Hedgehog Hacking Contest, Other Stuff
  • Wiki edits:2,193
Just a reminder that we are still looking for your evaluation of this contest. You have until the end of Sunday 20th November to do this.

#34 User is offline LazloPsylus 

Posted 19 November 2016 - 11:17 PM

• Take your technical inquiries and shove them.
  • Project:Too Many to list.
  • Wiki edits:16
Alright, we're down to the last day of evaluations. Get them in if you haven't done so yet.

#35 User is offline Ayla 

Posted 20 November 2016 - 06:00 PM

• I shat on your desk ^^
  • Project:Hacking Contest, StH Overlooked, Personal Indie game
  • Wiki edits:67
I know there's a post above me from Lazlo saying this, but we've got some very close votes on some final plans for next year (ie, the community is split). If you have not done an evaluation already, please submit yours!! It takes only a bit of your time, and it helps guarantee a better contest for everyone next year! Here's the link:

https://docs.google....TJMQ3A5G19bcxJY

Please be aware that this form is being CLOSED at 12am EST / 5am GMT, so you only have a few hours left to potentially change the contest next year. The issue that has a split vote is pretty significant and, while I can't say what it is, your single vote will decide what happens. The judges even submitted their own evaluations to try to sway the vote one way or another, but the judges themselves are split! Anyway, it's a close race, so please fill yours out if you haven't!! =)

~Julia

#36 User is offline Spanner 

Posted 21 November 2016 - 12:16 AM

Okay, the evaluation period is over. We'll be looking at all these responses to see what we need to do for next year's contest.

Obviously we've got some stuff figured out already, but these responses will also help deal with other things to do with the contest.

As promised, here are the evaluation of all the hacks this year from the judges. Not all judges were able to evaluate all entries due to time constraints, but we hope you will at least appreciate what we've got for you regardless.
This post has been edited by Spanner: 21 November 2016 - 12:16 AM

#37 User is offline Selbi 

Posted 21 November 2016 - 09:01 AM

• Impaled with Extreme Prejudice
  • Project:Sonic ERaZor
  • Wiki edits:320
There's a meta thing I've wanted to address but forgot in my evaluation. Has little to do with the current dilemma anyway, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

The issue is that the website isn't "downward compatible". With each new contest the old links get obsolete, the /entry/ in a URL gets replaced with a /history##/. All direct links to entries from that time get broken. This is especially an issue because where before was a link to a certain hack you now go to a completely different entry page of a completely different hack.

Could probably use some redesign for the following years.

#38 User is offline Spanner 

Posted 21 November 2016 - 09:44 AM

Results Page? Results Page!

#39 User is offline redhotsonic 

Posted 22 November 2016 - 06:07 AM

• Also known as RHS
  • Project:Sonic Bash!
  • Wiki edits:24
Selbi, I think the site is getting changed completely next year. Including the server so hopefully it won't break down.

• 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users