Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Simple Sonic Worlds - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Simple Sonic Worlds And "Not So" Simple Sonic Worlds.

#16 User is offline Techokami 

Posted 03 February 2018 - 09:48 AM

• For use only on NTSC Genesis systems
  • Project:Sonic Edge
  • Wiki edits:63
In Sonic Worlds Delta, there is a block of events specifically for setting up parallax backgrounds. This is located in Sonic Worlds -> General methods -> Startup Events -> Parallax Setup. You put your pieces in the bottommost layer (Layer 1) and set them up as described in the aformentioned event group. There is also a sample in the form of a Background System Box object in that layer, showing a parallax scrolling set of boxes that glow.

Simple Sonic Worlds, however, removes this block of code... 😕

#17 User is offline Ice 

Posted 03 February 2018 - 12:36 PM

View PostTechokami, on 03 February 2018 - 09:48 AM, said:

In Sonic Worlds Delta, there is a block of events specifically for setting up parallax backgrounds. This is located in Sonic Worlds -> General methods -> Startup Events -> Parallax Setup. You put your pieces in the bottommost layer (Layer 1) and set them up as described in the aformentioned event group. There is also a sample in the form of a Background System Box object in that layer, showing a parallax scrolling set of boxes that glow.

Simple Sonic Worlds, however, removes this block of code... 😕

I know 😯

Figured it out yesterday when I was researching for hours....

I was just wandering if there was another way since it got removed in Not-so-simple sonic worlds

#18 User is offline LakeFeperd 

Posted 03 February 2018 - 09:16 PM

• Project:Spark the electric jester
Good, that should be a lesson not to ask things before you exhausted all your options. The more you ask the less people are likely to actually help you.
Might be tough to hear but, keep asking for help to a minimum.

Also, If you really have to ask something again, please do it in a polite manner, it can be annoying to some people as some of us are quite busy with our daily lives.

Sorry, I just have to get this out there before you get into a shitstorm with someone, trust me I've seen this happen. Game Dev is frustrating and the rewards can only come after years and years of work so try not to get desperate, not knowing what to do is normal, it will happen over and over and over again, find ways to deal with it, like, doing something else instead.

Anyways, there is a way to do it in simple worlds but it's not that intuitive and I would need to make a full tutorial for that one. It's basic programming logic so you'll be able to figure out how to do it over time.
Your best bet so far is to learn as much of fusion as you can (i mean the code) and port over the system from delta, which is basically copying the groups that relate to the parallax system, which there is two i believe and then creating a "background system box" object, making it the exact same size as the image you import into it, adding a qualifier that the code messes around with in the code and then setting certain variables, (i think D and E for position and F for scrolling which shoud be set to "time/10*-1" or something, maybe without the "-1" as scrolling ahead doesn't seem to work for some reason.

Okay at this point you can probably see why I removed it from simple worlds? I mean you can just copy and past the one that's inside delta into your own game but you'll have to removed the outline effect and also the place in the code that changes it and sets it's variables so good luck finding that or searching over the shitty checkmark editor.
That is, if you can open delta to begin with.

#19 User is offline Ice 

Posted 03 February 2018 - 11:48 PM

View PostLakeFeperd, on 03 February 2018 - 09:16 PM, said:

Good, that should be a lesson not to ask things before you exhausted all your options. The more you ask the less people are likely to actually help you.
Might be tough to hear but, keep asking for help to a minimum.

Also, If you really have to ask something again, please do it in a polite manner, it can be annoying to some people as some of us are quite busy with our daily lives.

Sorry, I just have to get this out there before you get into a shitstorm with someone, trust me I've seen this happen. Game Dev is frustrating and the rewards can only come after years and years of work so try not to get desperate, not knowing what to do is normal, it will happen over and over and over again, find ways to deal with it, like, doing something else instead.

Anyways, there is a way to do it in simple worlds but it's not that intuitive and I would need to make a full tutorial for that one. It's basic programming logic so you'll be able to figure out how to do it over time.
Your best bet so far is to learn as much of fusion as you can (i mean the code) and port over the system from delta, which is basically copying the groups that relate to the parallax system, which there is two i believe and then creating a "background system box" object, making it the exact same size as the image you import into it, adding a qualifier that the code messes around with in the code and then setting certain variables, (i think D and E for position and F for scrolling which shoud be set to "time/10*-1" or something, maybe without the "-1" as scrolling ahead doesn't seem to work for some reason.

Okay at this point you can probably see why I removed it from simple worlds? I mean you can just copy and past the one that's inside delta into your own game but you'll have to removed the outline effect and also the place in the code that changes it and sets it's variables so good luck finding that or searching over the shitty checkmark editor.
That is, if you can open delta to begin with.

I'm sorry If I asked in a way that was impolite, rude, or just plain mean and I really appreciate you telling me that I was, because I'm not that type of person :(

And yes everything you've stated is correct and I already knew why you got rid of it in your simple sonic worlds. I was still trying to see if there was another way besides using the background parallax because the way you had it set up in simple sonic worlds is the best for me I love how easy & simple it is!
But at this point, just animating it on ms maybe the most tedious but it's also the most easiest way to do so.

I will finish watching all of your tutorials which REALLY helped me a lot but I stopped to learn about the engine which also helped me majorly as well.
Good luck on your 3d Fark game (I said Fark since he is the main character this time).

And I will take your advice and not get desperate next time or try something else, we live & learn after all :)

#20 User is offline PkR 

Posted 04 February 2018 - 01:09 AM

• Project:SADX Dreamcast Conversion, The Emeralds' Awakening
There's a very simple way of doing basic parallax that was used way back in the MMF1.5 days.

Make a large enough patterned Background System Box, then add an "Always" event that sets its X coordinate to X Left Frame * multiplier. The multiplier is a positive value between 0 and 1. The closer it is to 1, the slower it moves. Try 0.9 for a test. Same for Y scrolling, but with Y Top frame * multiplier (can be different from the X multiplier too).
This is probably as basic as you could get, obviously you'd need to adjust the code if you want scrolling clouds for example.

#21 User is offline LakeFeperd 

Posted 04 February 2018 - 08:39 AM

• Project:Spark the electric jester
Well, a way to do it in simple is an object that moves to the desired direction and then snaps back to its original position once its moved its own lenght. This can get tricky though. If you want it to move via a floating point, that is a value like 0.5, you'll need to store and set the objects position in a variable and then change that variable instead of moving it normally.

Aside from the variable thing, this is basic fusion programming logic and it will do good on you to try to learn it yourself. If you get stuck, move on top something else and get back to it, see it as an exercise.

#22 User is offline Ice 

Posted 04 February 2018 - 02:10 PM

Sure, I'll try out both of these.
Thanks again guys :)

• 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users