Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Mario & Sonic ~ The Adventure We're Still Waiting For - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Mario & Sonic ~ The Adventure We're Still Waiting For How to balance two distinct playstyles and still be epic

#16 User is offline Scripten 

Posted 27 December 2011 - 11:21 PM

View PostWriter, on 27 December 2011 - 10:22 PM, said:

Yoshi's Dash Pepper says hi.

Well, I'll be damned. I almost forgot about that. Still, that only leaves Sonic with his spindash as a power. Or maybe the shield powers will help him... Or lightdash... Okay, I think we're good, actually.

#17 User is offline Caniad Bach 

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:01 AM

• is a peanut
The only way you could actually make such an idea work would be to do a sort of Sonic Heroes type system. Where you press a button and switch between the two, and use their distinctive abilities to progress. Possibly include a type of buddy system, where you have to use switches or do other things to allow the other character to progress. Mario could don rollerskates and hold onto Sonic's spines as he ran. It has the potential to be a surprisingly good game, but I can't see there being anyone who would have the inventiveness to make such a project work well. If it happened, it would suck, so I think I'm in the oh hell no camp.

#18 User is offline GT Koopa 

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:56 PM

• Project:Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
  • Wiki edits:6
So why can't it just be having Mario and Sonic have separate levels, with Sonic in Mario's world backdrop with level design that's "Modern Sonic" and Mario in Sonic's World backdrop with level design that is 64/Galaxy?

#19 User is offline Solid SOAP 

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:26 PM

• has covered wars
Honestly, just pull off the old character roulette they've been doing since Adventure and make it so you can choose whether to be Sonic or Mario. Alternatively, have a Sonic Heroes tag-team system where you choose between the two on the spot depending upon their strengths.

#20 User is offline Mr Lange 

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:27 PM

• A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys.
  • Project:Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
  • Wiki edits:1
Having a "speed up" powerup for Mario just to complete every stage is not only terribly cheap, but unethical game design. Also I would rather see Mario and Sonic cross over in each others' history of stages, not have the whole game take place somewhere in China.
I'm liking the idea of this game if it were organized like Generations, with a separate act designed specifically for the character. On the other hand, you could do an S3&K thing and have the same stages with character specific routes. Also a big part of me prefers this game be all 2d instead of 3d or some vague combination. Then again, both Sonic and Mario's recent games have done the whole switching between 2d and 3d gameplay, so the idea would still work really well.

#21 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:29 PM

• Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10
Take the Mario and Luigi RPG series.

Get rid of Luigi, replace with Sonic.

Just add some sort of Bowser and Robotnik team up plot and there, done, awesome. Wind up with some sort of Super Mario Bros Z stuff here.
This post has been edited by Dark Sonic: 28 December 2011 - 04:29 PM

#22 User is online TheInvisibleSun 

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:02 PM

• OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST
  • Project:Sonic 1 Color Contrast

View PostDark Sonic, on 28 December 2011 - 04:29 PM, said:

Just add some sort of Bowser and Robotnik team up plot and there, done, awesome. Wind up with some sort of Super Mario Bros Z stuff here.

Literally for year's I've wanted to make a M&L:SSS hack like this...I'm just not good at GBA Hacking yet...

#23 User is offline ancara 

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:03 PM

If ya wanna let things work, do what happened with Crash and Spyro for those two GBA games: Throw one character in another world or whatever, and let that world's hero deal with the other character's baddie as best they can.

I'd love to see how Mario would handle Robotnik/Eggman's badniks and boss machines, and how Sonic would be able to handle Bowser's shenanigans. Let each character go through a set number of stages from the other character's game history, and let them each be able to fight bosses from the other character's series, just to see how they would handle that madness.

To be honest, this is about the best way I honestly think things would go well that both Nintendo and Sega could agree on. But that's just me.

#24 User is offline Ayu Tsukimiya 

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:28 PM

• UGUU~

View PostLordOfSquad, on 27 December 2011 - 07:57 PM, said:

View PostSomeSortOfRobot, on 27 December 2011 - 07:48 PM, said:

I always thought it'd be cool if they got Intelligent Systems to do a Sonic/Mario action RPG

Was literally just about to post this. Just have Mario & Sonic instead of Mario & Luigi. Done.

I want this SO BADLY NOW.

#25 User is offline Namo 

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:40 PM

• take a screenshot of your heart
Yeah, now that I think on it, Mario and Sonic could do some pretty cool attacks with each other. Mario hitting a balled-up Sonic into an enemy with his hammer, for instance? Or Sonic doing his Blue Tornado from heroes combined with Mario's fire glove? Lots of potential.

#26 User is offline Crappy Blue Luigi 

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:44 PM

• just a blue bud
  • Wiki edits:2

Add Sonic and Tails.

Fixed.

You know, this is actually a really sound concept. It would be absurdly easy to transfer Sonic and Tails' abilities into an M&L style game, especially thanks to Sonic Advance 3's team moves.

As an example, they could easily mimic Mario and Luigi's first out-of-battle moves in the first game; Tails carrying Sonic across large distances a la Mario's Spin Jump, and Sonic leaping off of Tails up to higher ground a la Luigi's High Jump.

#27 User is offline SomeSortOfRobot 

Posted 29 December 2011 - 03:38 PM

• Project:http://legendoflucy.com

Doesn't necessarily have to be a team up. Eggman could try and conquer Bowser's turf.

#28 User is online TheInvisibleSun 

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:16 PM

• OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST
  • Project:Sonic 1 Color Contrast

View PostCrappy Blue Luigi, on 29 December 2011 - 02:44 PM, said:

Add Sonic and Tails.

Fixed.

You know, this is actually a really sound concept. It would be absurdly easy to transfer Sonic and Tails' abilities into an M&L style game, especially thanks to Sonic Advance 3's team moves.

As an example, they could easily mimic Mario and Luigi's first out-of-battle moves in the first game; Tails carrying Sonic across large distances a la Mario's Spin Jump, and Sonic leaping off of Tails up to higher ground a la Luigi's High Jump.

Also, many of the Bros. Attacks would fit perfectly; I.e. Tails flying Sonic up and dropping him in ball form into the enemy, with the !Advance! version swinging and throwing Sonic for more power, and possibly catching him mid-air and doing it again, for a possible infinite multi-hit a la Knockback Bros. Advance

Or, even a Tails-Propelled/Enhanced Sonic Tornado...
This post has been edited by TheInvisibleSun: 29 December 2011 - 06:17 PM

• 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users