Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC) - WARNING, SPOILERS - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Jump to content

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 679 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • 677
  • 678
  • 679
    Locked
    Locked Forum

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC) - WARNING, SPOILERS Developed by Christian Whitehead, Headcannon and PagodaWest

#10171 User is offline Chris-M 

Posted 15 October 2017 - 03:00 AM

  • Posts: 13
  • Joined: 04-September 17
  • Gender:Male
I think it's intentional because in the Genesis games if you got hit with with over 100 rings and then collected another 100 you got another extra life, it's just that you're more likely to get another extra life from collecting a few combi-rings after getting hit in Mania if you had a lot before.

#10172 User is offline Jason 

Posted Yesterday, 09:35 PM

  • *Results not lab tested.
  • Posts: 1840
  • Joined: 20-October 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Columbus, OH
Found a strange graphics bug in the last couple of days. My nVidia GTS 450 displays Mania with a red tint.
Posted Image
Tried other games with no issue. Moved the same HDMI cable to the Intel Integrated Graphics HDMI port, and the colors are fine for Mania again. Is this happening for anyone else?

#10173 User is offline Master Emerald 

Posted Yesterday, 11:32 PM

  • Posts: 3289
  • Joined: 14-December 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
  • Project:College
  • Wiki edits:22

View PostChris-M, on 15 October 2017 - 03:00 AM, said:

I think it's intentional because in the Genesis games if you got hit with with over 100 rings and then collected another 100 you got another extra life



Except that's not true. The max rings that fly from you on the genesis games is 32.

#10174 User is offline Chaos Rush 

Posted Today, 12:08 AM

  • Posts: 420
  • Joined: 14-March 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Wiki edits:1

View PostJason, on Yesterday, 09:35 PM, said:

Found a strange graphics bug in the last couple of days. My nVidia GTS 450 displays Mania with a red tint.
Posted Image
Tried other games with no issue. Moved the same HDMI cable to the Intel Integrated Graphics HDMI port, and the colors are fine for Mania again. Is this happening for anyone else?

It's obviously the Phantom Ruby messing with your device

#10175 User is offline SuperSnoopy 

Posted Today, 03:17 AM

  • I prefer Sonic Advance to Sonic 2
  • Posts: 68
  • Joined: 29-June 17
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:France
  • Project:Learning how to fucking draw

View PostMaster Emerald, on Yesterday, 11:32 PM, said:

View PostChris-M, on 15 October 2017 - 03:00 AM, said:

I think it's intentional because in the Genesis games if you got hit with with over 100 rings and then collected another 100 you got another extra life



Except that's not true. The max rings that fly from you on the genesis games is 32.

I think what he meant is that you can get another 100 rings and you'll get an extra life.

#10176 User is offline Master Emerald 

Posted Today, 09:39 AM

  • Posts: 3289
  • Joined: 14-December 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
  • Project:College
  • Wiki edits:22
No I don't think he meant that because, again, you can't get 100 rings if all the rings that fly from you is 32 -- and your rings counter will reset to zero before that, so all you'll have are 32 rings - no matter how many rings you had before that.

#10177 User is offline DigitalDuck 

Posted Today, 09:41 AM

  • Arriving four years late.
  • Posts: 4585
  • Joined: 23-June 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lincs, UK
  • Project:TurBoa, S1RL

View PostMaster Emerald, on Today, 09:39 AM, said:

No I don't think he meant that because, again, you can't get 100 rings if all the rings that fly from you is 32 -- and your rings counter will reset to zero before that, so all you'll have are 32 rings - no matter how many rings you had before that.


There are other rings in the level.

#10178 User is offline SuperSnoopy 

Posted Today, 09:44 AM

  • I prefer Sonic Advance to Sonic 2
  • Posts: 68
  • Joined: 29-June 17
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:France
  • Project:Learning how to fucking draw
Yes, but, if you managed to get 100 from another source (like, I dunno, the rings scattered throughout the level), you'll get another "100 rings" extra life.
Mania does that too, but it can be abused with the combi-ring (this issue wasn't in Chaotix since this game had no extra life anyway)

#10179 User is offline Master Emerald 

Posted Today, 02:40 PM

  • Posts: 3289
  • Joined: 14-December 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
  • Project:College
  • Wiki edits:22

View PostDigitalDuck, on Today, 09:41 AM, said:

View PostMaster Emerald, on Today, 09:39 AM, said:

No I don't think he meant that because, again, you can't get 100 rings if all the rings that fly from you is 32 -- and your rings counter will reset to zero before that, so all you'll have are 32 rings - no matter how many rings you had before that.


There are other rings in the level.


But then, you'll need to get 68 new rings, and every Sonic game released to date does that. That has nothing to do with genesis games or gaining lives from dropped rings...
This post has been edited by Master Emerald: Today, 02:40 PM

#10180 User is offline DigitalDuck 

Posted 48 minutes ago

  • Arriving four years late.
  • Posts: 4585
  • Joined: 23-June 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lincs, UK
  • Project:TurBoa, S1RL

View PostMaster Emerald, on Today, 02:40 PM, said:

But then, you'll need to get 68 new rings, and every Sonic game released to date does that. That has nothing to do with genesis games or gaining lives from dropped rings...


What's the difference between a dropped ring and a non-dropped ring? As said in the original post that you said was "not true":

View PostChris-M, on 15 October 2017 - 03:00 AM, said:

I think it's intentional because in the Genesis games if you got hit with with over 100 rings and then collected another 100 you got another extra life, it's just that you're more likely to get another extra life from collecting a few combi-rings after getting hit in Mania if you had a lot before.


Yes, every Sonic game released to date does that. So it's probably intentional that Mania also does, no?

  • 679 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • 677
  • 678
  • 679
    Locked
    Locked Forum

7 User(s) are reading this topic
3 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

  1. Member: Sonikko,
  2. Tech Member: Thorn,
  3. Oldbie: Neo