Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Video of earliest known Sonic R prototype - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Jump to content

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 7 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • Last ►
    Locked
    Locked Forum

Video of earliest known Sonic R prototype From the founder of Traveller's Tales himself

#16 User is offline Dissent 

Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:38 AM

  • Posts: 398
  • Joined: 05-December 07
  • Gender:Male

View PostShoemanbundy, on 04 September 2017 - 11:43 PM, said:

He said in one of the comments that the build is time-stamped May 2, 1997, and the retail release was within the same year, so this was a pretty fast project!

I've read in to Traveller's Tales history before and this is how they were in the 90's.

Quote

"Disney had little faith in Toy Story and gave Traveller's Tales seven months for a game. But it was challenge that he relished, cramming it with all kinds of visual tricks."

“"Unfortunately, getting Toy Story done meant that was the expectation: that we could get games done in seven months,” Jon explained."

"Despite the exodus of talent, the company marched on, and in 1997 it saw its F1 project transformed into Sonic R, and was given seven months to complete a game on the notoriously difficult Sega Saturn, which Jon enjoyed."

Between running the company and acting as lead programmer on a number of projects, Jon worked 18-hour days, seven days a week. Despite the stress, he found it difficult to not have a hand in everything.

His company has had ups and downs with friends backstabbing and I believe some even coming back, but he has always been a hard, dedicated worker that pulled off impressive feats in short amounts of time. And NOW he's uploading high quality footage of unseen stuff that he worked on!? What a great dude.
This post has been edited by Sonicandtails: 05 September 2017 - 12:38 AM

#17 User is offline muteKi 

Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:48 AM

  • Fuck it
  • Posts: 7534
  • Joined: 03-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Wiki edits:91
On the one hand, damn, that's a hell of a turnaround time. On the other, no wonder there are only 5 tracks if that's how long they worked on it!

#18 User is offline Dissent 

Posted 05 September 2017 - 01:38 AM

  • Posts: 398
  • Joined: 05-December 07
  • Gender:Male
Jon is trying to court Richard Jacques in to passing along potentially early temporary vocal recordings, of which may be the contents of a DAT tape labeled "Sonic TT"
This post has been edited by Sonicandtails: 05 September 2017 - 01:44 AM

#19 User is offline big smile 

Posted 05 September 2017 - 06:14 AM

  • Posts: 622
  • Joined: 01-July 05
  • Gender:Male

View PostmuteKi, on 05 September 2017 - 12:48 AM, said:

On the one hand, damn, that's a hell of a turnaround time. On the other, no wonder there are only 5 tracks if that's how long they worked on it!


Back in those days, did Saturn racing games have many tracks? Sega Rally only had 3 plus one bonus stage.

Also I think Sonic Team did all the level design for Sonic R, so that probably helped things.

Quote

Jon is trying to court Richard Jacques in to passing along potentially early temporary vocal recordings, of which may be the contents of a DAT tape labeled "Sonic TT"

Fun fact: Back in 2006, Jacques did a concert where he said that Sonic R was originally called Sonic TT.

#20 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:58 AM

  • Posts: 11607
  • Joined: 21-April 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10
Was it just called Sonic TT as a placeholder though? I mean, Sonic TT could easily stand for Sonic travelers tales.

And wow, 7 months? No wonder there was so little content and some trash AI.
This post has been edited by Dark Sonic: 05 September 2017 - 08:00 AM

#21 User is offline DigitalDuck 

Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:33 AM

  • Arriving four years late.
  • Posts: 4715
  • Joined: 23-June 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lincs, UK
  • Project:TurBoa, S1RL

View PostDark Sonic, on 05 September 2017 - 07:58 AM, said:

Was it just called Sonic TT as a placeholder though? I mean, Sonic TT could easily stand for Sonic travelers tales.


When dealing with external companies, Traveller's Tales almost always uses filenames "TT______" or "______TT", so it's most likely a placeholder.

#22 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 05 September 2017 - 11:37 AM

  • It's sometimes the real thing™
  • Posts: 4495
  • Joined: 27-December 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Northumberland, England
  • Project:New Coke wasn't sold in the UK
  • Wiki edits:20,569

View Postbig smile, on 05 September 2017 - 06:14 AM, said:

View PostmuteKi, on 05 September 2017 - 12:48 AM, said:

On the one hand, damn, that's a hell of a turnaround time. On the other, no wonder there are only 5 tracks if that's how long they worked on it!


Back in those days, did Saturn racing games have many tracks? Sega Rally only had 3 plus one bonus stage.

It's a holdover from the arcade days - pretty much all of Sega's arcade racers from the period had 3-4 stages. I seem to remember the original Ridge Racer (and Revolution?) only having one!

It's usually Wipeout that gets the credit for inventing the "modern" console racing game, a.k.a. "hey guys maybe we should put some content on this £50 disc". Sega were slow to wake up, so five stages + full 3D world would have been fair for a Saturn game in late 1997. It's easy to forget that trend setters like Gran Turismo debuted after the Saturn was pretty much dead.


The tracks in Sonic R are also quite beefy and varied too - the problem is that they're under-utlised and the whole game is a glorified time trial.
This post has been edited by Black Squirrel: 05 September 2017 - 11:39 AM

#23 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:17 PM

  • Posts: 11607
  • Joined: 21-April 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10
I know the idea of a foot racer is pretty antiquated these days but man would I love to see a Sonic R2, only with more courses and a bit more polish.

Taxman and co, you guys made a pretty swell looking special stage with some nice models... want to take on the task :specialed:

#24 User is offline Cooljerk 

Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:30 PM

  • NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev
  • Posts: 4198
  • Joined: 06-April 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Wiki edits:9
I always said Sonic R controlled better if you used up and down on the analog stick as a gas throttle and just steered with L and R. Good to know that, at one time, it really did have a gas button.

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 05 September 2017 - 11:37 AM, said:

View Postbig smile, on 05 September 2017 - 06:14 AM, said:

View PostmuteKi, on 05 September 2017 - 12:48 AM, said:

On the one hand, damn, that's a hell of a turnaround time. On the other, no wonder there are only 5 tracks if that's how long they worked on it!


Back in those days, did Saturn racing games have many tracks? Sega Rally only had 3 plus one bonus stage.

It's a holdover from the arcade days - pretty much all of Sega's arcade racers from the period had 3-4 stages. I seem to remember the original Ridge Racer (and Revolution?) only having one!

It's usually Wipeout that gets the credit for inventing the "modern" console racing game, a.k.a. "hey guys maybe we should put some content on this £50 disc". Sega were slow to wake up, so five stages + full 3D world would have been fair for a Saturn game in late 1997. It's easy to forget that trend setters like Gran Turismo debuted after the Saturn was pretty much dead.


The tracks in Sonic R are also quite beefy and varied too - the problem is that they're under-utlised and the whole game is a glorified time trial.


To give another comparison, Wipeout 2097 was released in 1997, and had 8 tracks.

#25 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 08 September 2017 - 11:43 AM

  • It's sometimes the real thing™
  • Posts: 4495
  • Joined: 27-December 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Northumberland, England
  • Project:New Coke wasn't sold in the UK
  • Wiki edits:20,569

have some raw footage.
This post has been edited by Black Squirrel: 08 September 2017 - 11:43 AM

#26 User is offline f2bnp 

Posted 10 September 2017 - 08:32 PM

  • Posts: 75
  • Joined: 21-May 08
  • Gender:Male
This is an older discovery, but has anybody ever seen this:



Take note of the early vocals, it's so odd listening to that song with even cringier vocals :D.
This post has been edited by Overlord: 11 September 2017 - 01:23 PM
Reason for edit: Remove the s in https

#27 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 10 September 2017 - 09:34 PM

  • Posts: 11082
  • Joined: 11-January 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Spain
  • Wiki edits:18

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 05 September 2017 - 11:37 AM, said:

The tracks in Sonic R are also quite beefy and varied too - the problem is that they're under-utlised and the whole game is a glorified time trial.

Sonic TT = Sonic Time Trials? :v:

#28 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 15 September 2017 - 03:35 PM

  • Posts: 11607
  • Joined: 21-April 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10


So apparently he found an even earlier prototype and is working on putting a video together. Awesome stuff.

#29 User is offline minichapman 

Posted 15 September 2017 - 03:47 PM

  • I'd like to think I'll be imparting words of wisdom, but the odds are agains
  • Posts: 642
  • Joined: 03-April 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Project:Staying sane.
  • Wiki edits:1
I asked the uploaded about the Sonic TT name. He told me that, and I quote

Quote

minichapman to us it stood for Travellers Tales - in motor racing it stands for Tourist Trophy


So if the working title stuck, it would have been a double meaning.

#30 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 15 September 2017 - 04:48 PM

  • Posts: 11082
  • Joined: 11-January 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Spain
  • Wiki edits:18
...Isn't that the background of the Moose Hunters level in Mickey Mania?

  • 7 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • Last ►
    Locked
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

  1. Google