ICEknight, on 15 July 2011 - 02:17 PM, said:
- The logo would look even cooler if, before it started spinning, Sonic would appear and run through it.
- Add the compilation's title on top of the "Game select" text.
- Original music?
- I think you should remove the "A - Play" message, as everybody is going to press Start anyway...
1. I had this idea, but refused it because I don't know how to perform such a scene. If Sonic would run quickly from left to right (like in Sonic 2), the logo spinning vertically after his touch would look strange. It would be obviously better to make it spin just like a signpost, but the hardware isn't capable to do it even using VDP-tricks, I would have either to render it by software (like I do in menu, but I hardly find enough resources for that) or keep each spinning frame pre-rendered in the ROM (which will take too much ROM space). Another way I imagine this scene is Sonic falls from the top and touches the logo, then he lands and runs away. But again, I have no idea how to perform it gracefully.
2. Nice idea, I might try it. Or make a separate screen with project's logo. The name doesn't make much sense here though, it's a compilation, not an original game/hack. Also, I'm likely to change its title when I include more games there.
3. Do you mean the new music composed specially for this project? Well, I don't think if I need this, in fact I'm rather content with the current music, which Jet
ported for me. I may replace it with more suitable ports if I find ones.
4. "C - Credits" will stay absolutely alone then =( An extra button to launch a game isn't odd or confusing to my mind.
RGamer2009, on 15 July 2011 - 02:21 PM, said:
Nice article, thank you! =)
Just a small note: you wrote "Sonic 3 in 1 is a compilation hack" there. My project isn't really a hack (this is the reason I call it a 'project' =P). It's more like a MD-program from the ground up, including three hacked Sonic games and a small engine to run them. Or I just understood the phrase "compilation hack" wrongly. My English is weak, you know.
Actually, I'm wondering about something: Can't you put EVERY MegaDrive Sonic game ever created in the ROM? I mean sure, it won't work on many systems, but having the original line up, including the S&K lock-ons, plus S3D and Spinball would be supah dooper ameizink!
I will have troubles with adding them. Not all the games have their disassemblies, this makes adding them really difficult. I'll have to fix every JMP/JSR offsets, (xxx).w and (xxx).l addressing modes, DMA-transfers from ROM, and besides that, there are loads of special cases which are hard to recognize.
I may attempt to do it to practice in HEX-hacking, but chances I fully success are low.
If he can make it perform Super Street Fighter II style bank switching inside 5 megabytes and make it work on my Everdrive, he's got my vote.
Yep, I plan use SSF2 bank switching. Thanks to Sik
who provided me info on it earlier, I know how to work with it.
If I cut the paddings of the games, it will be possible to fit it in 5 Megabytes I think.
This post has been edited by vladikcomper: 16 July 2011 - 01:47 PM