Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge. - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 391 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge. The stuff that simply has no other home.

#5851 User is offline Pengi 

Posted 16 August 2018 - 01:13 PM

View PostHP Zoner, on 16 August 2018 - 10:30 AM, said:

Posted Image

The copyright notice on the back reads "© SEGA 1991". Could it actually have been made back then, or is it some sort of "reprint"? Does anyone here recognize the artwork?

It's from one of the rare "vacation scene" images. The art itself seems to date back to 1991 (Max the Monkey from the Sonic Band is in it). They mainly showed up in magazines in mid 1992.

Posted Image

#5852 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 16 August 2018 - 01:18 PM

• maybe she's born with it
  • Project:maybe it's maybelline
  • Wiki edits:20,569

The copyright notice on the back reads "© SEGA 1991". Could it actually have been made back then, or is it some sort of "reprint"? Does anyone here recognize the artwork?

I have seen a lot of Sonic merchandise with a 1991 copyright - I think it's probably because the source images come from 1991, rather than the products based off them.

This is why I keep pushing better coverage of Sonic-related merchandise on our wikis - I don't actually know if there was a lot of Sonic merchandise avaliable in 1991 - 1992 and especially 1993 is where Sonic becames the greatest thing ever in terms of marketing.

#5853 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 16 August 2018 - 01:26 PM

• Wiki edits:18

View PostHP Zoner, on 20 July 2018 - 03:53 PM, said:

I also got a letter in my package telling me the promotional pin would be sent later. This caught me by surprise because I didn't even know I was getting one to begin with, and I still don't really know what that's about. But hey, I'm not complaining. I'll post a picture when it gets here.

Because I'd completely forgotten about it. I got it in the mail today in an hilariously oversized envelope. It's a bonus from pre-ordering on Fnac. I figured some of you might want to see what it looks like, so I took the liberty of scanning it:

Posted Image

I do recognize the artwork from a Spanish christmas Toys R Us catalog. I still have the trimmed illustration somewhere (kinda wish I would have saved the whole thing) but anyway, I think it's also appeared somewhere on this message board previously. EDIT: Oops, hadn't seen Pengi's reply!

It looks like it was traced really poorly for some reason...

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 16 August 2018 - 01:18 PM, said:

I have seen a lot of Sonic merchandise with a 1991 copyright - I think it's probably because the source images come from 1991, rather than the products based off them.

This is why I keep pushing better coverage of Sonic-related merchandise on our wikis - I don't actually know if there was a lot of Sonic merchandise avaliable in 1991 - 1992 and especially 1993 is where Sonic becames the greatest thing ever in terms of marketing.
Unless the Bollycao stickers were released that early (they may have been from 1992, according to this site), I actually don't remember seeing any piece of Sonic-specific merchandise in 1991. It was "just a videogame" back then, at least in Spain.

I'd need to check again but I don't think it's uncommon to see the character/brand's original copyright year in place of the actual year that the merchandise was made (as in, 80s garfield dolls with a 78 stamp)?
This post has been edited by ICEknight: 16 August 2018 - 01:42 PM

#5854 User is offline Asagoth 

Posted 16 August 2018 - 01:56 PM

• Behold ... the mighty... the flawless... salted cod eater...

View PostICEknight, on 16 August 2018 - 01:26 PM, said:

View PostHP Zoner, on 20 July 2018 - 03:53 PM, said:

I also got a letter in my package telling me the promotional pin would be sent later. This caught me by surprise because I didn't even know I was getting one to begin with, and I still don't really know what that's about. But hey, I'm not complaining. I'll post a picture when it gets here.

Because I'd completely forgotten about it. I got it in the mail today in an hilariously oversized envelope. It's a bonus from pre-ordering on Fnac. I figured some of you might want to see what it looks like, so I took the liberty of scanning it:

Posted Image

I do recognize the artwork from a Spanish christmas Toys R Us catalog. I still have the trimmed illustration somewhere (kinda wish I would have saved the whole thing) but anyway, I think it's also appeared somewhere on this message board previously. EDIT: Oops, hadn't seen Pengi's reply!

It looks like it was traced really poorly for some reason...

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 16 August 2018 - 01:18 PM, said:

Unless the Bollycao stickers were released that early (they may have been from 1992, according to this site), I actually don't remember seeing any piece of Sonic-specific merchandise in 1991. It was "just a videogame" back then, at least in Spain.

I'd need to check again but I don't think it's uncommon to see the character/brand's original copyright year in place of the actual year that the merchandise was made (as in, 80s garfield dolls with a 78 stamp)?

I think is the original copyright year... because Danone badges have it too ...
This post has been edited by Asagoth: 16 August 2018 - 01:57 PM

#5855 User is offline HP Zoner 

Posted 16 August 2018 - 02:31 PM

• Project:Crash Mania
Kinda hard to confirm this specific pin's manufacture date, I guess, though it's cool to see the original artwork. Thanks for shedding some light on this.

It strikes me as odd that they chose something like this as the pre-order bonus for Mania Plus, instead of something, well, Mania-related. I like it, though! I just found someone selling one on eBay, too:
https://www.ebay.co....8cAAOSwhpZaLaqt

No further info there, but that one seems to have a better paint job than mine, at least (Sonic's arm color seems to have bled on to one of his quills).

#5856 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 16 August 2018 - 04:05 PM

View PostICEknight, on 16 August 2018 - 01:26 PM, said:

I actually don't remember seeing any piece of Sonic-specific merchandise in 1991. It was "just a videogame" back then, at least in Spain.

I know of one thing:

Posted Image

The New UFO Catcher was released in 1991 and as well as having Sonic on the doors (and Sonic 1 music), there was a set of Sonic prizes released around the same time. They appear in the promotional shots for the thing, anyway.

But this is a Japanese-exclusive thing. In the West... dunno.

I suspect it didn't kick off until Santa had finished putting Mega Drive + Sonic 1 packs under Christmas trees.

#5857 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 17 August 2018 - 03:11 PM

Today on "there are too many versions of this game stoooop":

Posted Image

Apparently Microsoft now sell Xbox 360 games in Xbox One boxes. Both Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed and Sonic Generations appear to have been given this treatment - there are obviously other non-Sonic games too.

And to think, in 2013 we couldn't even be sure they'd be selling discs for the Xbox One.

#5858 User is offline Covarr 

Posted 17 August 2018 - 03:48 PM

• Sentient Cash Register
  • Wiki edits:1

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 17 August 2018 - 03:11 PM, said:

Apparently Microsoft now sell Xbox 360 games in Xbox One boxes.

They've been doing this for a while now. They're really playing up the backwards compatibility angle this generation. Probably a good move, since Sony and Nintendo both dropped the ball in that regard.

#5859 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 18 August 2018 - 11:25 AM

There's a set of odd Sonic 2 promotional images drawn by Duncan Gutteridge. You've seen them before:

Posted Image Posted Image
etc.

People like to pretend this is concept art for the game - it's not. It turns out it's artwork for a 1993 Sonic calendar:

Posted Image

At least, that's my best guess. Having retailed around late 1992 (because obviously you want to sell 1993 calendars before 1993), the artwork could only have been loosely based on official Sonic 2 material, because the game wasn't completed. Perhaps the above shot was inspired by an incomplete Wood Zone after all.

But in short, this is not game art, it's calendar art. Art that was later repurposed into other things. Probably.

How do we know for sure someone was making Sonic artwork specifically for calendars? Here's a clue.

#5860 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 18 August 2018 - 12:08 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
Oh it was definitely repurposed - I'm pretty sure both of those with some editing are used on the Sonic Choose Your Own Adventure Gamebooks.

#5861 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 19 August 2018 - 07:17 AM

• Wiki edits:18
I remember seeing those in Spanish magazines, and also the one underwater with Tails and the crab.

#5862 User is offline Asagoth 

Posted 19 August 2018 - 07:39 AM

• Behold ... the mighty... the flawless... salted cod eater...
Reversed, badly drawn and with a different background... weird Portuguese things...

#5863 User is offline Xilla 

Posted 19 August 2018 - 06:10 PM

• No promotion for you, laddy.
Those two images were also available to buy as full size posters in Woolworths I believe.

#5864 User is offline McAleeCh 

Posted 20 August 2018 - 01:34 AM

• Wiki edits:27

View PostXilla, on 19 August 2018 - 06:10 PM, said:

Those two images were also available to buy as full size posters in Woolworths I believe.

They were definitely available as a full-size poster from somewhere, as my brother's friend brought a poster of the Oil Ocean one in to add to a SEGA display table in their class at school one week - among other things, including an imported JP copy of Sonic 2, bizarrely enough! Think I have a photo of the display somewhere...

• 391 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users