Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic After the Sequel DX - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Sonic After the Sequel DX New version, new physics!

#1 User is offline LakeFeperd 

Posted 26 August 2017 - 07:54 AM

• Project:Spark the electric jester

Posted Image

Game download link, Mirror 1

Decided to make a new thread since the old one is 4 years old. Anyways, ATS DX is a updated version of ATS to the newest version of Clickteam Fusion 2.5 with several physics tweaks and an added drop dash. By the fact it's ported to the newest fusion 2.5 you should also see some performance improvements, however this may not be true of some computers that seem to have issues running fusion 2.5 games.
Cutscenes still operate like they did before and are likely not to work on some machines, just disable them.
This is a windows only game and can only run on other systems via wine.

The source has also been update and should be more useful and easier to use to those that wanted to use it.

Source Link

This is kinda of a rough release and might see some updates and bugfixes in the future.

This post has been edited by LakeFeperd: 26 August 2017 - 02:50 PM

#2 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 26 August 2017 - 09:06 AM

• Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10
Oh no shit look at that. I can certainly say I never saw this coming but it is a very pleasant surprise.

Downloaded. Any plans for a similar upgrade for BTS?
This post has been edited by Dark Sonic: 26 August 2017 - 09:08 AM

#3 User is offline WAC 

Posted 26 August 2017 - 09:14 AM

• Project:???
  • Wiki edits:2
YES! ATS is one of my favorite fangames, so having its physics improved, adding drop dash, and making it open source is awesome news. Any chance we'll see a widescreen version in the future or will that be left up to the community since it's now open source?

View PostDark Sonic, on 26 August 2017 - 09:06 AM, said:

Downloaded. Any plans for a similar upgrade for BTS?

BTS receiving similar changes would be pretty rad. If both games were made open source, perhaps a Sonic Before & After the Sequel Edition could be made. lol

#4 User is offline LakeFeperd 

Posted 26 August 2017 - 09:22 AM

Won't be doing this to any of my other games for now. It was quite a lot of effort and I did take a break from my next original project to work on this. In fact, I do believe somebody else was going a BTS remake so maybe wait on that, I think it has a demo with a full zone as well.

#5 User is online winterhell 

Posted 26 August 2017 - 11:15 AM

Woah this does play much better physics wise than the previous version. Thanks.
This post has been edited by winterhell: 26 August 2017 - 11:15 AM

#6 User is offline Okamikurainya 

Posted 26 August 2017 - 11:28 AM

• Project:Sonic: Time Attacked - MAX
But is it &Knuckles? :colbert:

Very cool that you did this! I look forward to giving it a try.

#7 User is offline Stink Terios 

Posted 26 August 2017 - 11:33 AM

Oh yeah, the physics were pretty much the worst part of ATS. Haven't tried it out yet, but I think it's gonna be a major improvement.

#8 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 26 August 2017 - 12:09 PM

So, I don't know if you're considering further work on this project, but regardless here's a bug report from my playthrough so far, in case either you or someone else is interested in looking into these things.

- Dying on certain bosses causes the game to softlock. You'll enter your death animation but you won't go through the floor, so you're just stuck. This happened to me on Moon Mansion and that train boss
- The end of act tally is still broken and absolutely useless. The score from that tally is arbitrary and doesn't even add to your total score. It's also still messy
- Special stage rings still show up after getting all 7 emeralds. They don't do anything though
- Sometimes the screen will continue to scroll up after entering a special stage ring
- Special Stage 7 was particularly laggy. The other ones seemed ok though.
- Sometimes when you get hit with a shield you'll lose your rings but keep the shield
- For some reason when I was playing through Moon Mansion Act 1, the game thought I was underwater. I had the physics of being underwater and I even drowned. This continued until I game overed, but upon reloading the game it was fine. This also happened in Dream Dance Act 1.
- The drowning counter goes 0-4-3-2-1-0.
- Trying to turn into Super Sonic on one of those jet boards in the snow level will soft lock the game
- You can turn into Super Sonic despite having a shield active. Ever consider mapping the Super Sonic feature to 2 jump buttons or perhaps a different button entirely? (X isn't used too often, maybe jump then X?)
- The drop dash is implemented kinda poorly. Instead of having to press jump twice and hold on the second press, it activates while holding down the button for the first time. It also does this while you have shields and it does it coming off springs, so you hear that spindash charge constantly.
- There was some invisible ceiling I couldn't jump past in Sugar Splash Act 3, despite there being objects and actual level up there
- Some strange collision in certain areas of Red Hot Ride (all acts, boss included).
- Heading to Storm Station Act 1 via the Parhelion Secret results in you being stuck in the clouds and you won't be able to move.
- Credits Zone is broken :v:

As far as physics go, I can't tell for sure. I haven't played the original ATS for a while so I can't tell what changed, but sometimes things feel off but I'm not sure if it's because I'm trying to remember what I did originally and it's not happening because things are more accurate now. It feels fine though. But ya a bit rough but still fun. Widescreen support would be a welcome addition though. But still thanks for porting this to a new engine, it runs better now.

I love that new final boss by the way:
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Dark Sonic: 26 August 2017 - 12:54 PM

#9 User is offline Seiph 

Posted 26 August 2017 - 02:39 PM

• Fatty Lobotnik
Dark Sonic, there are boss changes? I am ripped? :D I also sense sarcasm but I am an idiot to not try through all over again to see if you were lying or not. Also, download link is overloaded so I'm stuck waiting. Might wanna find another spot to upload, Lake.
This post has been edited by Seiph: 26 August 2017 - 02:42 PM

#10 User is offline LakeFeperd 

Posted 26 August 2017 - 02:51 PM

Yep, just re-uploaded it to mediafire.
http://www.mediafire...c_ATS_DX_v2.rar

#11 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 26 August 2017 - 03:08 PM

View PostSeiph, on 26 August 2017 - 02:39 PM, said:

Dark Sonic, there are boss changes? I am ripped? :D I also sense sarcasm but I am an idiot to not try through all over again to see if you were lying or not. Also, download link is overloaded so I'm stuck waiting. Might wanna find another spot to upload, Lake.

No I wasn't lying. It's the truth. No sarcasm intended lol.

#12 User is offline Chris Highwind 

Posted 26 August 2017 - 04:44 PM

• Don't mess with Luigi
  • Project:Slacking
  • Wiki edits:13
When I heard Open Source, my first thought was "Homebrew ports for consoles when?" but then I remembered that Clickteam Fusion might not be so easily ported to consoles like the 3DS and Vita :/

#13 User is offline Techokami 

Posted 26 August 2017 - 05:34 PM

• For use only on NTSC Genesis systems
  • Project:Sonic Edge
  • Wiki edits:63

View PostChris Highwind, on 26 August 2017 - 04:44 PM, said:

When I heard Open Source, my first thought was "Homebrew ports for consoles when?" but then I remembered that Clickteam Fusion might not be so easily ported to consoles like the 3DS and Vita :/

3DS: Ahahahahahaha no that thing does not have the oomph needed.
Vita: There actually was an official Playstation Vita runtime in the works for Fusion! Sadly the project fell through and was silently cancelled.

However that doesn't mean you can't do Fusion on consoles, ever. Officially, there is a Universal Windows Platform runtime, which will let you use the XBox 1. Unofficially, Chowdren can be leveraged to port to consoles (if you have the money to bankroll the one guy that knows how to do it)

#14 User is offline Laura 

Posted 26 August 2017 - 05:43 PM

• Brightened Eyes
Dude you are so cool for uploading this open source, unbelievably generous.

I love playing around in Sonic World, so I really appreciate it.

#15 User is offline LakeFeperd 

Posted 26 August 2017 - 06:08 PM

View PostLaura, on 26 August 2017 - 05:43 PM, said:

Dude you are so cool for uploading this open source, unbelievably generous.

I love playing around in Sonic World, so I really appreciate it.

Did that for all my other games as well, don't think a lot of people noticed it: https://forums.sonic...showtopic=36084
Still, porting them over to Fusion 2.5 makes them quite glitchy, so if you have the old Multimedia fusion 2, you shouldn't have many issues.

• 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users