Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Creating an uncut dub of Sonic X - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Creating an uncut dub of Sonic X

#16 User is offline Shakidna 

Posted 26 May 2019 - 10:58 PM

• Rehash Rampage
  • Wiki edits:1
In this hilariously convoluted project that I would never wish to take on, I would re-edit the lipflaps to match the English dialogue (or just use the flaps from the English version) and then leave huge amounts of dead air between lines.

#17 User is offline Sir_mihael 

Posted 27 May 2019 - 10:09 AM

• DON'T TRUST THIS MAN

View PostShakidna, on 26 May 2019 - 10:58 PM, said:

In this hilariously convoluted project that I would never wish to take on, I would re-edit the lipflaps to match the English dialogue (or just use the flaps from the English version) and then leave huge amounts of dead air between lines.

Isn't that the kind of thing 4Kids get criticized for though? Even when big name companies dub productions, they tend not to touch the source video (looking at Ghibli movie dubs and such).
But I guess the script will always be written to fit around that video, whereas the 4Kids dub was written with full intention of putting the show through the editing block.

#18 User is offline BouncekDeLemos 

Posted 27 May 2019 - 10:23 AM

I think 4Kids gets criticized the most for simply censoring things, but also censoring things that don't make too much sense to censor.

I feel that editing the mouth flaps to match the English dialog is okay, or at least it's the most approachable without having to redub. Anyone can edit, not everyone can voice. Either way though, not saying one's better than the other, it's just a daunting if not costly task.

Then we're left with lost frames due to them not matching up the dialog to begin with, which redubbing may help with...

Sticky situation no matter how you slice it. Should we take liberties while still respecting the source material (in a much better way than what 4Kids have done), or do we keep everything we can and just redo everything?

#19 User is offline Kharen 

Posted 28 May 2019 - 02:29 AM

The way I see it, fixing the edits that 4Kids made and restoring deleted scenes, missing background elements, etc. is great. I don't mind clipping bits of the scenes where translation results in dead air, if you're only removing what's essentially a still image and not removing any actual animation. For instance, that comparison video posted earlier. The points where they cut a camera shot short because the corresponding line of dialogue ended earlier than the original is fine as far as editing goes because it's only trying to keep the conversation sounding natural. Edits like what 4Kids did in One Piece regarding Sanji's cigarette being changed into a sucker would be best reverted to the original.

Like what was mentioned before, it might be a bit tricky to Frankenstein a conversation between characters that got cut completely and never had audio made for it. If it was me, and I had unlimited amounts of free time to do it, I would probably start cutting together a list of lines from each character so that when a missing scene like that comes up, I could look through the list and try and pick out ones that could be put together to make a natural-sounding replacement. Making those lists would be the first thing that I did, so that I had a full database to search through when each situation came up instead of having to start working on them as I encountered a need.

What would probably be the best idea if you did decide to go through with this would probably be to isolate the spoken audio for each episode entirely. Then make bundles of two or three episodes each. Make it a community project to separate each line of dialogue into independent audio files that were sorted into separate folders for each character that spoke in that episode, until you eventually had all of the show's audio sorted through. Once that was done, then you could start working on fixing each episode with a complete database already put together for each occasion that you needed to splice together a new conversation. (If you wanted to get INSANELY thorough, you could take problem characters that don't have fitting-enough lines and start cutting individual words so you could build new lines for them, but I think that I would give up on that particular scene and move on if it got to that point, or at least have a "Version 1.0" of the finished project so there was something completed before going into detailed work like that.)

Hell, I would volunteer, but I'm not particularly good at Audacity, I've already got enough on my plate as it is with college work, and the repetitiveness would kill me after the first episode at the longest.

#20 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 28 May 2019 - 01:19 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
Reading through this topic does remind me amusingly of the attempt at a Sonic X fan redub that was tried on CulT all those years ago... we managed one scene, and it wasn't great =P

#21 User is offline JaxTH 

Posted 28 May 2019 - 02:26 PM

• Pudding Deity
  • Project:Jack shit.
  • Wiki edits:2

View PostOverlord, on 28 May 2019 - 01:19 PM, said:

Reading through this topic does remind me amusingly of the attempt at a Sonic X fan redub that was tried on CulT all those years ago... we managed one scene, and it wasn't great =P

I wasn't gonna bring it up, but yeah. Interesting times.

#22 User is offline Kiddo Cabbusses 

Posted 28 May 2019 - 05:11 PM

• Wiki edits:100

View PostOverlord, on 28 May 2019 - 01:19 PM, said:

I bet a fan redub would be more viable now - there's a good bit more talent in the Sonic fan scene, including many people who already do voice acting in fan animations or other such.
The timing would be a good bit better too - no longer are the 4Kids cast considered "definitive" Sonic voices, so the replaced voices would not be unfairly compared to them.

• 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users