don't click here

Level 0 - Level Design

Discussion in 'Project: Sonic Retro (Archive)' started by Chimpo, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Matwek

Matwek

Fair dos, I kept a copy of all the stuff from the old board just incase but im sure I can dig it up and remove it from my collection.

2. BadCopNoDonut

BadCopNoDonut

O RLY? Oldbie
    Sonic D T
    Well the bricks under it in the second pic were mine. If you wanna use em for various ideas, please, go nuts. Just give credit where its due, which I'm sure won't be a problem, should any of my stuff be used in any sort of release.

3. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
  4. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    I actually like that idea. Its a change of pace to the usual typical crabmeats we get.

5. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    Your badnik idea... sounds like Sonic's version of Mettaurs. Good enough.

6. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    Rather than coming out at random intervals (at least it seems to me), these would act based on what you do. If you run close to them, they hide, you stand still, thy think you've left, you show them how wrong they are.

7. Badassbill

Badassbill

This is my interpretation of the concepts shown. I've also took the Genesis style, but developed what I saw from the original games into something new (in the same way the Sonic sprite has been developed). I think this captures more of the Genesis feel, and matches the current sprite style.

Keep in mind this is just a suggestion of background style and not a proposal for final use.

[​IMG]

8. Matwek

Matwek

9. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    I dig the sand and the background (ocean and clouds), but those palm trees are pretty "Ehhh". The leaves are the worst part. Maybe there needs to be more of them? I don't know. I just don't like how they're sort of angular but sort of not and they're spaced so far apart...

10. Badassbill

Badassbill

I just copied Chimpo's doodles.

11. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I am liking this. Maybe a little more darkly shaded than I'd have expected but the shapes are very nice.
    Another leaf on the palm trees probably wouldn't hurt.

12. Jof

Jof

Scotland
    Sonic Fantasy
    I totally dig the shadow alongside Sonic, and think for areas like this, it should be kept.

13. PC2

PC2

GenMobile > 3DS Member
    Various Artwork & Music, :smug:
    I like it. The slightly lifted perspective to simulate a 3D feel reminds me of the Donkey Kong Country games and Kirby Super Star - a direction which, I think, perhaps the original games could have been headed, especially considering games like Sonic Blast, S3D, and Labyrinth. I'm on the same boat as Blaze about the trees, though. Maybe another revision of Rave's trees would work better?

14. synchronizer

synchronizer

I like it alot, except that the colors of the sand seem a bit to dull to me. Tropical Sonic Zones are always very bright and colorful. If the sand was just a bit more bright yellow...

15. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    [​IMG]
    sup?

16. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Is there anyone working on a layout for the stage? I've got started on one, I want to know if someone else is so we could work together if they so wish.

17. Matwek

Matwek

18. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    I just copied Chimpo's doodles.
    [/quote]

Should've recognized your handiwork sooner BAB. Good as per usual.

I actually like the trees in this version for the fact that they remind me of that primitive-3D element that made it into the Genesis games yet seem less stiff and inorganic than the trees in GHZ. The other tree, despite looking great seem somewhat to edge closer to Ristar in style (though admittedly, the styles aren't exactly dissimilar) and I think it may stand out a bit too much for a background object.

I wonder about redesigning the leaves in BAB's version to look less plain though, possibly more like the other tree's.