Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: IDW Megathread - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 15 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

IDW Megathread The series has begun, and with a bang

#136 User is offline RikohZX 

Posted 12 April 2018 - 01:13 AM

Sonic does have a motivation in his love for freedom and all, it's just that he's practically typecasted into being a snarky one-liner tossing hero of justice to the point that I've seen people actually get angry that he hasn't stuck around with the resistance post-Forces, as if he's not true to his character or something. For all the constant shifting and shuffling of their feet SEGA does with the franchise, only a couple times in the franchise has he done anything more than that, like Black Knight where he was willing to be considered the bad guy and stuck to what he thought was right (the fact that he was right aside). They ironically play him too safe, when the very conceptualization of the character in the early 90's was practically "toss attitude and cute together like a brick in a washing machine" levels of risk taking against the juggernaut that was his direct competitor.
These comics so far let him shine a bit to me, though; he's cocky, but rather than just the pantomiming and saturday morning cartoon lines of recent games where he says he's all cool but is really disconnected from actual action, he's got the motions and the style to really carry it through and back it up. Especially with ABT's artwork.

This post has been edited by RikohZX: 12 April 2018 - 01:15 AM

#137 User is offline SuperSnoopy 

Posted 12 April 2018 - 06:17 AM

• I prefer Sonic Advance to Sonic 2
  • Project:Learning how to fucking draw
Did they change the artist for this issue ? I really like the art here, it's pretty great.
As for Sonic, I think he work well when he's interacting with other people, and this comic haven't disappointed me with that so far.
This post has been edited by SuperSnoopy: 12 April 2018 - 12:04 PM

#138 User is offline Burezu 

Posted 12 April 2018 - 06:50 AM

• Butt.
  • Project:http://bit.ly/2qKLOPW

View PostSuperSnoopy, on 12 April 2018 - 06:17 AM, said:

Did they change the artist for this issue ? I really like the art here, it's pretty great.
As for Sonic, I think he work well when he's interacting with other peoples, and this comic haven't disappointed me with that so far.

They did, thankfully. It was paneled much better and it felt so much better to look at. I'm glad this iteration of Amy isn't a braindead throwaway that she has been in past Sonic media. The comic's off to a great start, but since I read the Archie stuff, it just feels so slow right now. And yes, I get it's issue #2, and this is how it is for the first year, but I'm just ready for more.

#139 User is offline Casshern 

Posted 12 April 2018 - 01:15 PM

Issue 1 sold out and it's getting a second printing in May along with a new variant.

#140 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 12 April 2018 - 02:11 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204

View PostCasshern, on 12 April 2018 - 01:15 PM, said:

While good it's done well, another variant? I bought 3 when I was in London this weekend and there was one left on the shelf I didn't get, plus a fifth they didn't have... and that doesn't even count the multiple con-exclusive ones!

(Sidernote on the fast sellout - indeed, I bought several of #1 but I'm not going to be regularly buying the comic.)

#141 User is offline LordOfSquad 

Posted 12 April 2018 - 02:15 PM

• Still waiting on Feel The Magic 3
  • Project:Tunes for Sonic Panic, among other things
  • Wiki edits:1
Does anyone know if there's a place to digitally subscribe? I want to support the comic because I like what I read online and I'd like to keep on top of it, but I'm done with print media for the most part.

#142 User is offline Jason 

Posted 12 April 2018 - 05:50 PM

• *Results not lab tested.
It doesn't look like IDW does subscriptions, print or digital. Looks like their Scribd partnership didn't pan out. But, you can digitally buy each comic, if you want.

Right here.
This post has been edited by Jason: 12 April 2018 - 08:53 PM

#143 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 12 April 2018 - 06:13 PM

• Wiki edits:18
I hope that they're secretly working on a separate "Sonic Mania Adventures" series. As well made as this one may be, it's certainly not for me. =\
This post has been edited by ICEknight: 12 April 2018 - 06:13 PM

#144 User is offline Laughingcow 

Posted 12 April 2018 - 06:34 PM

A "sonic mania adventures" series would be jumping the gun. The first issue just came out.

That said, the safe option would be to make the classic stuff backup stories for the main comic until the numbers steady. Selling out the first issue is nice but that momentum will wane.

#145 User is offline Ravenfreak 

Posted 12 April 2018 - 08:46 PM

• Project:Hacking some 8-bit Sonic game
  • Wiki edits:112

View PostLordOfSquad, on 12 April 2018 - 02:15 PM, said:

Does anyone know if there's a place to digitally subscribe? I want to support the comic because I like what I read online and I'd like to keep on top of it, but I'm done with print media for the most part.

I currently have a digital subscription via Comixology. Best of all the issues get downloaded to your phone so you can read them offline too!

#146 User is offline Lanzer 

Posted 12 April 2018 - 10:25 PM

• The saber calls for its master...
  • Project:Doing Stuff.

View PostSuperSnoopy, on 12 April 2018 - 06:17 AM, said:

As for Sonic, I think he work well when he's interacting with other people, and this comic haven't disappointed me with that so far.

Adam Bryce Thomas was a regular for the Archie comic, so it's common to see his art from time to time.

#147 User is offline LordOfSquad 

Posted 13 April 2018 - 10:56 AM

• Still waiting on Feel The Magic 3
  • Project:Tunes for Sonic Panic, among other things

View PostRavenfreak, on 12 April 2018 - 08:46 PM, said:

View PostLordOfSquad, on 12 April 2018 - 02:15 PM, said:

I currently have a digital subscription via Comixology. Best of all the issues get downloaded to your phone so you can read them offline too!

Cool, thanks! I'm gonna check that out.

#148 User is offline Fenrir 

Posted 18 April 2018 - 01:03 PM

• Eh.
Issue 3 was pretty... Eh.

Dunno who this artist is but I'm not really digging their style. It's not bad per se, but it doesn't really scream comic quality to me. First two issues looked a lot better in my opinion.

Rough & Tumble were enjoyable enough and Sonic was pretty fun this issue. It also continues to pick up Forces' massive, massive slack on its poor exposition.

But it didn't really feel like much was accomplished this issue and Knuckles was really just there. Tails and Amy felt a bit more involved at least. Knuckles felt like he was just there to justify the ending stinger, besides that you could have removed him completely and this comic would lose nothing of value.

Oh well. Next week is new girl and best girl so that'll be nice. I'm definitely still enjoying the comics as a whole. Just kinda wanna get past this exposition spree.
This post has been edited by Fenrir: 18 April 2018 - 01:08 PM

#149 User is offline Frozen Nitrogen 

Posted 18 April 2018 - 10:40 PM

• Wouldn't the door have been easier?
  • Project:Wiki general
  • Wiki edits:6,025

View PostFenrir, on 18 April 2018 - 01:03 PM, said:

It also continues to pick up Forces' massive, massive slack on its poor exposition.

"These Wisps volunteered to live in a box for 6 months to help the war effort" is so poor of an explanation I'd have rather they didn't try, honestly.
The whole moral narrative of Colours is that Putting Wisps In A Box Is Wrong And They Hate It, so when you turn around and say No This Time It's Different you're fighting an uphill battle from the start.

#150 User is offline BlackHole 

Posted 19 April 2018 - 12:34 AM

• You're going to need MORE than help.
  • Project:Sprites for Cybernetic Outbreak
I think the point was they weren't expecting to be kept in the boxes for so long, but Rough and Tumble were interfering and keeping them locked away compared to the Resistance who would use them ASAP. But that really doesn't come through clearly.

It does show the Wisps can leave the boxes at any time, if the climax was any indication.
This post has been edited by BlackHole: 19 April 2018 - 12:35 AM

• 15 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users