Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Audio Popping/Crackling Issue On My P.C. - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

Audio Popping/Crackling Issue On My P.C. Desperately seeking a solution.

#1 User is offline Naean 

Posted 25 June 2016 - 06:09 PM

• There is sometimes potential to succeed where others have not.
  • Project:Sonic 5 (Sonic 3 & Knuckles Sequel)
  • Wiki edits:24
I'm currently having a very annoying issue with my new computer. At seemingly random moments, audio will begin popping and crackling frequently and consecutively (Without even half a second between individual pops/crackles.) for a substantial amount of time. (Sometimes for 1 hour plus.) It ranges from occasional clicks every now and then, to insufferably dire quickly repeated clicks which make me want to rip my ear drums out.

I have experienced this via both my Creative speakers and my Sades headset. This started to happen around 2 weeks ago. The computer's operating system is Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, with an AMD processor, and Realtek High Definition Audio driver. I have tried combinations of disabling audio devices in Device Manager, but to no avail. I have also updated my AMD and Realtek drivers (Not via Device Manager, through the companies' websites/software themselves.), but also to no avail.

This is happening with anything that plays audio, from YouTube videos to KEGA Fusion to Windows Media Player; it's not just happening with one particular audio source.

I have run DPC Latency Checker, and it practically always shows high red bar levels whenever the blips are occurring. It often reports very high latency up to things like 73115 ┬Ás.

I think that it may be some sort of driver/software/hardware conflict, but honestly have no clue whatsoever. I have researched online about this elsewhere, but to be frank I have no idea where to begin properly troubleshooting this problem. From what I have read from others, causes and solutions seem to vary from one computer to another.

I should also point out that the computer has 8 GigaBytes of R.A.M. and other powerful specifications. Surely it should not be a performance issue?

Any and all assistance with this would be greatly appreciated!
This post has been edited by Naean: 25 June 2016 - 06:28 PM

#2 User is offline Morph 

Posted 25 June 2016 - 11:24 PM

• AKA SonicFreak94.
  • Project:SA1/2 hax
  • Wiki edits:11
I had a similar issue with my onboard audio with similar hardware, and no amount of driver trickery fixed it. I resolved it by disconnecting my front panel audio which seemed to be faulty :v:
This post has been edited by Morph: 25 June 2016 - 11:24 PM

#3 User is offline Naean 

Posted 13 February 2017 - 03:05 AM

• There is sometimes potential to succeed where others have not.
  • Project:Sonic 5 (Sonic 3 & Knuckles Sequel)
  • Wiki edits:24
Sorry for bumping an old topic, but I just wanted to update about this problem.

Basically, this issue seems to have resolved itself. I don't know whether it was Windows Updates, driver updates, or something else, but I haven't had this anomaly occur again in many months. I still get the occasional spike into yellow on DPC Latency Checker a little bit, but the rapid and regular clicking/skipping has completely gone.

Thank you anyway for your contribution and response, it was much appreciated. :)

Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users