Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Archie Sonic Comic Megathread - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 216 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Archie Sonic Comic Megathread Legacy Thread. IDW topic created.

#3211 User is offline Shaddy the guy 

Posted 28 December 2017 - 09:01 PM

• Zaphod's just some guy, you know?
  • Project:Completely remaking my fanedit because I messed up
Come "back" to the series?

Uh, in any case, I don't mind the cast not being all the Archie dudes. I want to see them again, especially the Egg Army, but focusing on the main game cast is something I'd prefer right now. I only wish we'd get to know more about the plots of games from a longer amount of time ago, instead of just whatever new ones come out that they can adapt.

#3212 User is offline Sir_mihael 

Posted 29 December 2017 - 06:08 AM

• DON'T TRUST THIS MAN

View PostJason, on 28 December 2017 - 05:45 PM, said:

If the games are going to be this light on plot and lore as they have been since Colors for the foreseeable future, the comics fleshing them out and having them make sense is exactly what the franchise needs. At least until good narratives come back to the series. Creating another alternate universe will only make things more confusing. There should be an effort to make the existing canon sensible, rather than create another branch. It makes the series less approachable.

Yeah, I think this would be ideal as it means the regular gaming people can play a streamlined Sonic game that doesn't require you to be so invested in DEEP LORE, whereas those do who want that can have a good resource to turn to.

For example, a Sonic Mania comic adaptation could easily fill in the missing stage transitions from the game, and explain more about the nature of the Heavies and the Ruby amongst other things.

It would also take the weight off Sonic Team or any other devs trying to come up with new confusing plots and risking more contradictions/retcons, etc by having someone who's a bit more tuned into that world and lore keeping everything tied together, preventing a PONTAFF 2.0 situation.

#3213 User is offline Shaddy the guy 

Posted 19 January 2018 - 05:22 PM

Posted Image

Evan Stanley art. Sonic is holding onto...something. I thought it was Sally's hands, then I thought it was Tails's tails. Now I don't know what to think.

#3214 User is offline TheKazeblade 

Posted 19 January 2018 - 06:47 PM

• "Our Life is More than a Side-Effect"
I'd guess its Tails holding onto Sonic with both hands, looking backwards (we're seeing his hands, back of his head, whiskers and ear). If Freedom Fighters were back I doubt those characters would be the first shown. Still skeptical they'll show up, but crazier things have happened.

If they DO show up, I'll be fascinated by what exactly that means when it comes to who on earth now holds the rights to the DiC characters besides Sega. Would that mean Sega is the sole rights-holder, or is there some sort of clause in the Archie contract that allows for their use to be transferred to a new publisher?

90's Sonic elements seems like a huge legal minefield, honestly.

#3215 User is offline Shaddy the guy 

Posted 20 January 2018 - 12:58 AM

View PostTheKazeblade, on 19 January 2018 - 06:47 PM, said:

I'd guess its Tails holding onto Sonic with both hands, looking backwards (we're seeing his hands, back of his head, whiskers and ear). If Freedom Fighters were back I doubt those characters would be the first shown. Still skeptical they'll show up, but crazier things have happened.

If they DO show up, I'll be fascinated by what exactly that means when it comes to who on earth now holds the rights to the DiC characters besides Sega. Would that mean Sega is the sole rights-holder, or is there some sort of clause in the Archie contract that allows for their use to be transferred to a new publisher?

90's Sonic elements seems like a huge legal minefield, honestly.

I'm pretty sure SEGA's always been the holder? That's why they've never been the subject of any copyright issues.

#3216 User is offline Mister X 

Posted 21 January 2018 - 01:19 PM

Those hands (assuming they are hands) look a bit feathery, so I'm guessing it's a completely new bird character, possibly based on the bird Avatar from Forces. The synopsis for the first arc makes it sound like the comic will be taking place after Forces, so it'd make sense.

Doesn't really look like any Freedom Fighter (unless they've received another major redesign), and an established game character (especially Tails) wouldn't be much of a surprise.
This post has been edited by Mister X: 21 January 2018 - 01:34 PM

#3217 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:07 PM

• Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10
Oh lookie here: https://www.patreon.com/posts/16978811

We have pencils for what would have been issue 291/Genesis of a Hero 4/the Sonic 3 & Knuckles adaption. Unfortunately unless you subscribe $5 to Tracey's Patreon we won't see anything beyond page 1.

Damn shame we couldn't get this one last issue.

#3218 User is offline Boxer Hockey 

Posted 13 February 2018 - 06:44 PM

So Yardley and ABT have both released their unprinted issues now and I honestly don't know wtf is stopping me from just posting Mega Drive 3?

#3219 User is offline Ashram 

Posted 13 February 2018 - 06:46 PM

• Wiki edits:13

View PostBoxer Hockey, on 13 February 2018 - 06:44 PM, said:

So Yardley and ABT have both released their unprinted issues now and I honestly don't know wtf is stopping me from just posting Mega Drive 3?

Rolls of red tape and NDAs? :v

#3220 User is offline Boxer Hockey 

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:00 PM

View PostAshram, on 13 February 2018 - 06:46 PM, said:

That's the thing, there were no NDAs at Archie, I've only held off posting as a professional courtesy. But if that statute is lifted the only thing stopping me is that dropping MD3 would be considered a bigger deal than one of the regular issues. I guess the only difference is that it wouldn't possibly fly under the radar.

#3221 User is offline Casshern 

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:12 PM

View PostBoxer Hockey, on 13 February 2018 - 07:00 PM, said:

That's the thing, there were no NDAs at Archie, I've only held off posting as a professional courtesy. But if that statute is lifted the only thing stopping me is that dropping MD3 would be considered a bigger deal than one of the regular issues. I guess the only difference is that it wouldn't possibly fly under the radar.

Maybe just talk it out with the folks at Sega like Aaron and see if it's kosher with them? It would be cool to see it but wouldn't want people you work with to be mad/bothered.

#3222 User is offline JaxTH 

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:12 PM

• Pudding Deity
  • Project:Jack shit.
  • Wiki edits:2

That's the thing, there were no NDAs at Archie

And that is how this entire situation started.

#3223 User is offline Boxer Hockey 

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:44 PM

View PostCasshern, on 13 February 2018 - 07:12 PM, said:

Maybe just talk it out with the folks at Sega like Aaron and see if it's kosher with them? It would be cool to see it but wouldn't want people you work with to be mad/bothered.

Of course, I'm not so impulsive as to do anything reckless.
For the record though, NDAs aren't typically what stops a working professional from talking or posting sensitive materials. With or without paperwork I wouldn't go around posting stuff I'm not supposed to. This is more a case of "Does nobody care anymore and I didn't bother asking?".
This post has been edited by Boxer Hockey: 13 February 2018 - 08:03 PM

#3224 User is offline Casshern 

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:05 PM

View PostBoxer Hockey, on 13 February 2018 - 07:44 PM, said:

View PostCasshern, on 13 February 2018 - 07:12 PM, said:

Of course, I'm not so impulsive as to do anything reckless.

Hopefully they're cool with it.

If they said yeah to your request would you considered making the issue like an event exclusive item? Or something similar to that?

#3225 User is online Sparks 

Posted 14 February 2018 - 01:32 AM

• Project:Kyle and Lucy: Wonderworld
  • Wiki edits:21
Aaron for the love of God let us see MD3. :(

• 216 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users