Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Naka Interview answers many questions - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 10 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Naka Interview answers many questions

#1 User is offline Keith Hemari 

Posted 01 October 2005 - 12:09 AM

• Zen Gamer
  • Project:Soinc History Study
http://mooglecavern.proboards45.com/index....28130774&page=1

look for Blaze's post

but the long and the short of it is that the interview touches on some of the biggest mysteries of Sonic 2, including the true use for Hidden Palace Zone.

go here: http://xbox.gamespy....4/654750p1.html something like the third and fourth pages, but it's all very interesting.

I hope this isn't already posted somewhere XD

Major props to Blaze for pointing it out!
This post has been edited by Keith Hemari: 01 October 2005 - 12:16 AM

#2 User is offline LocalH 

Posted 01 October 2005 - 12:25 AM

• roxoring your soxors
  • Project:Guitar Hero II: Rhythm Games Community Edition aka Pizza Hero II: Electric Pizza
  • Wiki edits:3
Is this the interview that BMF posted something about a while back? About the interviewer showing Naka the proto on a flash drive?

#3 User is offline Rika Chou 

Posted 01 October 2005 - 12:26 AM

• Adopt
  • Wiki edits:4
He doesn't really say to much about HPZ, nothing we didn't already know.

#4 User is offline Keith Hemari 

Posted 01 October 2005 - 12:29 AM

• Zen Gamer
  • Project:Soinc History Study

GameSpy: Was the Hidden Palace meant to be "hidden," then?

Naka Actually, no, the basic idea was about the same as it was in Sonic and Knuckles. You'd encounter the stage through normal play by collecting the emeralds. The idea behind the stage was, "Where do the Chaos Emeralds come from?" That's where Sonic was originally supposed to be granted his Super Sonic powers.

We knew about this?

and to my knowlage the date 9-30-2005 suggests this is new, but I may be totally mistaken.

#5 User is offline LocalH 

Posted 01 October 2005 - 12:30 AM

• roxoring your soxors
  • Project:Guitar Hero II: Rhythm Games Community Edition aka Pizza Hero II: Electric Pizza

GameSpy: OK, off topic, but this came to mind when we were talking about the Hidden Palace Zone ... there are entire fansites out there devoted to hacking Sonic games and finding all the things Sonic Team was working on, but never used in the finished product. What do you think of this?

Naka Wow, people do that? I didn't know. I guess I am pretty surprised at the level of dedication of fans on the Internet. But how do I say this ... there is a bit of a problem. I mean, I am glad that people really, really like the games, but if it gets to the point where they are engaging in activities that can hurt us or Sega in some way, that's not good at all. Like, way back when we had a beta ROM of Sonic 2 that was stolen by someone. That one even had the Hidden Palace in it.

lol why don't they work with us if they want the "source" to the proto, since we can disassemble it

Edit: Also,

I remember we made a rabbit enemy. It was lik e... "Rabbit-bus." Or "Rabbit-taxi." You know, sort of like Catbus (from My Neighbor Totoro).

lol splats
This post has been edited by LocalH: 01 October 2005 - 12:32 AM

#6 User is offline Aurochs 

Posted 01 October 2005 - 12:34 AM

• Единый, могучий Советский Союз!
  • Project:Whatever catches my fancy
  • Wiki edits:325
Well, I guess that means that since we haven't been trying to steal beta carts, he and Sega will probably be cool about us. Maybe Naka will even join S2B. :P

#7 User is offline Sky Shark 

Posted 01 October 2005 - 12:44 AM

• Project:Sonic 1 Rehash - I'm not saying its canned, I'm planning on some work on it this summer.

GameSpy: There's actually a beta ROM with the Hidden Palace code that's been floating around the Internet for a while.

Naka What? You're kidding! Tell me more. I'd really like to get that back. *laugh* I guess we know what happened to that now... You see, back in mid-1992 we had taken a demonstration cartridge to a toy show in New York. It wound up being stolen, and although we searched and searched all over, it was never found. So that's probably where the data comes from. What's the Hidden Palace in this one like?

GameSpy: There's stuff in the stage, but it's impossible to play past a certain point.

Naka Yep, that sounds exactly like what we lost!

GameSpy: Was the Hidden Palace meant to be "hidden," then?

Naka Actually, no, the basic idea was about the same as it was in Sonic and Knuckles. You'd encounter the stage through normal play by collecting the emeralds. The idea behind the stage was, "Where do the Chaos Emeralds come from?" That's where Sonic was originally supposed to be granted his Super Sonic powers. We finally were able to use it in S&K, though it wound up being quite different from what we had planned in Sonic 2. But even from Sonic 1 we'd been throwing around those sorts of ideas. Still, when we were running out of time, we looked over things quickly trying to figure out what to dump ... and CHOP went the Hidden Palace. There's simply no way we could have thrown that in by the deadline at the rate we were going.

It's the same deal with Sonic 3... Sonic 3 is literally half a game. Sega management back then wanted the game out at a certain time and we only had half the stages done, so we had to put the leftovers into Sonic and Knuckles. So when you bought S&K and attached it to Sonic 3, you got the whole of what Sonic 3 was planned to have been.

From that part it seems like even more HPZ questions have been rasied. Makes you wonder what the rest of the art was gonna be like. Aperrantly the stolen beta lead to HPZ being removed if that answer is leading there. Makes you wonder what would have had happened had the beta never been stolen.

#8 User is offline LocalH 

Posted 01 October 2005 - 12:48 AM

• roxoring your soxors
I don't get that at all. I read that they cut it for time purposes. The part about the cart being stolen is not necessarily connected to that.

Also, I don't know if I 100% believe the whole "stolen cart" theory as the source for our ROM, because there is more than one cart in existence. For all we know, that stolen cart has been sitting in someone's private collection, untouched, for almost 15 years.
This post has been edited by LocalH: 01 October 2005 - 12:48 AM

#9 User is offline Sky Shark 

Posted 01 October 2005 - 12:51 AM

• Project:Sonic 1 Rehash - I'm not saying its canned, I'm planning on some work on it this summer.
Sorry I missed the other part of the interview mentioning the time reason.

#10 User is offline LOst 

Posted 01 October 2005 - 05:38 AM

• Wiki edits:2

But the biggest thing I remember we had that we didn't use in Sonic 1 was the break-dancing. We had this idea for the sound test. The composer for the game was one of the members of Dreams Come True, a famous Japanese band, so we wanted to do something special for the game's music. See, we wanted to have a separate sound-test screen with an animation of Sonic break-dancing while a "Sonic Band" played the game music. We were working on the images, and had enough space left on the cartridge memory for it, but once again time constraints prevented us from putting it in the program.
So what should we do with that leftover space? I suddenly had an epiphany! It said to me ... "SE-GA!" It came from our TV commercials, and that became the game's startup sound. I thought it made a good impression when you heard it, right? Though to fit it in, we had to delete all the break-dancing picture data we had made up to that point. Oshima was heartbroken, since we didn't need his pictures anymore. But seriously, that sound alone took up 1/8 of the 4 megabit ROM! Ah, those were the days...

That would have been something. I cry with Oshima.

#11 User is offline Qjimbo 

Posted 01 October 2005 - 06:02 AM

• Your friendly neighbourhood lemming.
  • Wiki edits:69
Wow this is REALLY interesting stuff. Though it just makes me yurn for more betas even more than usual :P

EDIT:

Q: Actually, can I ask a question about the Hidden Palace? It's something a lot of fans have always been very curious about. Have you ever thought about including the stage as some sort of "bonus" on the compilation disks?

A: No, we haven't. We looked all over for some sort of source for it, since EVERYONE seems to want to play it, but we just don't have the original code for the stage anymore. It was lost quite some time ago. Seriously, though, the most we ever had finished and playable was the first part of the level. You could run around on floors, maybe even cross a bridge or two! And then you'd wind up in a portion that wasn't complete yet and had nothing there ... and then you'd DIE. Exciting stuff, huh? I'm not sure why people would want to play that.

We have the code, though it's assembled. But that's pretty telling that they don't have the source anymore, like LOst said a while ago.
This post has been edited by QJimbo: 01 October 2005 - 06:06 AM

#12 User is offline Vangar 

Posted 01 October 2005 - 06:24 AM

What if we give it to them?

#13 User is offline LOst 

Posted 01 October 2005 - 07:42 AM

Vangar, on Oct 1 2005, 02:24 PM, said:

What if we give it to them?

We don't. We are the owner of Sonic now. Mwahaha.

EDIT: Seriously, if they know we are using the code, they will do anything to stop us. Do you really want Sonic Team to have to code? They will not use it, and we will not be able to use it anymore. That scenario is not good in anyway.
This post has been edited by LOst: 01 October 2005 - 07:44 AM

#14 User is offline Quickman 

Posted 01 October 2005 - 08:24 AM

• Project:omg porjcet
  • Wiki edits:10
The same doubts have been brought up as with that other one that was posted on SCARZ. Either they're translating incredibly loosely or bullshitting a lot of what he says. (Those are probably two ways of looking at the same essential fact: we can't really trust what is on those interviews.)

And we don't give Sonic Team our disassemblies. They can find and download them if they're desperate enough but we don't give them out of our own volition to them.

#15 User is offline Rlan 

Posted 01 October 2005 - 11:49 AM

Well it's clearly real NOW, since now it's revealed Zero-Chan [aka, old Green Hill Zoner] did the god damn interview! :D Who'd have thought!

I was originally skeptical too, since, well, the people who actually designed shit that we've asked question from all seem to have all aquired amnesia since 1992. Clearly Naka hasn't, yet never heard of the internets [or SOST ;_;. Probably has now though. I demand a box of goodies, Shayne Thames style].

Good to get to the bottom of some things :(

• 10 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users