Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic 1 prototype images - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 28 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic 1 prototype images Both topics now merged together

#361 User is offline E-122-Psi 

Posted 05 November 2014 - 09:46 AM

• Wiki edits:41
If I remember correctly, the Archie comics used and 'Uekawa-fied' them in recent issues as Mina's band. Given Mina herself is now 'retired' it's likely we won't see much of them again.

The band members interest me, but I can see why they were dumped. They seemed pretty superfluous to the game, unless it was meant to have a more coherent story originally. Perhaps if they had gotten in, we would have gotten one as the next playable character over Tails and Knuckles.

Somehow Underground seems to have a closer link to the games now. :P
This post has been edited by E-122-Psi: 05 November 2014 - 09:51 AM

#362 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 05 November 2014 - 10:56 AM

• Wiki edits:18

View PostThe KKM, on 05 November 2014 - 08:02 AM, said:

I had entirely forgotten the drummer rabbit. So that's one- is the big bird meant to be Chirps there?

It looks nothing like him, so I don't think so. Chirps Sharps might have been omitted from the ending just because there were too many characters in the same scanline already, but not removed from the Sonic universe till SoA stepped in.

Didn't he still appear in those old wallpapers with the monkey (which was colored blue, probably so it would use Sonic's palette)?
This post has been edited by ICEknight: 06 November 2014 - 07:53 PM

#363 User is offline The KKM 

Posted 05 November 2014 - 12:59 PM

• Welcome to the nExt level
  • Project:Taking control of my life
  • Wiki edits:6

View PostE-122-Psi, on 05 November 2014 - 09:46 AM, said:

If I remember correctly, the Archie comics used and 'Uekawa-fied' them in recent issues as Mina's band. Given Mina herself is now 'retired' it's likely we won't see much of them again.

The band members interest me, but I can see why they were dumped. They seemed pretty superfluous to the game, unless it was meant to have a more coherent story originally. Perhaps if they had gotten in, we would have gotten one as the next playable character over Tails and Knuckles.

Somehow Underground seems to have a closer link to the games now. :P

Yeah, drew them oince in relation to that- as Mina's band members.

Posted Image

#364 User is offline 87th 

Posted 05 November 2014 - 01:30 PM

• FOX HOUNDER
According to the Naoto Oshima interview in Collected Works (page 329), "The band was comprised of Sonic as the lead singer, Vector the Crocodile on the keyboard, Mach the Rabbit on drums, Max the Monkey on bass and Sharps the Parakeet on guitar."

#365 User is offline The KKM 

Posted 05 November 2014 - 02:12 PM

• Welcome to the nExt level
  • Project:Taking control of my life
  • Wiki edits:6
Parakeet? Hold on, what?

Huh. Maybe they changed it from a Chicken when they realised they wanted him to fly in the end.

#366 User is offline SpeedStarTMQ 

Posted 05 November 2014 - 03:11 PM

• Wiki edits:5
Right, here's a higher quality photo I just took of part of the ending which shows that it's the band, and that's definitely Sharps The Parakeet and the rest of the band.

Posted Image

All agreed?

Posted Image

EDIT: I may have misread the previous posts, but I got the feeling people were confused about Chirps. He's this fella:

Posted Image
This post has been edited by SpeedStarTMQ: 05 November 2014 - 03:27 PM

#367 User is offline TheKazeblade 

Posted 05 November 2014 - 03:13 PM

• "Our Life is More than a Side-Effect"

View PostSpeedStarTMQ, on 05 November 2014 - 03:11 PM, said:

Right, here's a higher quality photo I just took of part of the ending which shows that it's the band, and that's definitely Sharps The Parakeet and the rest of the band.

Posted Image

All agreed?

I'd say that's right! Would have really been interesting to see these characters realized (Vector excluded of course).

#368 User is offline SpeedStarTMQ 

Posted 05 November 2014 - 03:23 PM

Well y'know, Vector looked pretty different too, so maybe if they had been in there earlier, his design may not have had time to be refined further for the 32X. Current Vector is definitely a product of his time.

Posted Image
This post has been edited by SpeedStarTMQ: 05 November 2014 - 03:25 PM

#369 User is offline E-122-Psi 

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:50 PM

• Wiki edits:41
And even then he got a noticeable redesign in Heroes, even going back a bit to his bulkier form.

View PostTheKazeblade, on 05 November 2014 - 03:13 PM, said:

View PostSpeedStarTMQ, on 05 November 2014 - 03:11 PM, said:

Posted Image

All agreed?

I'd say that's right! Would have really been interesting to see these characters realized (Vector excluded of course).

Sharps looks slightly taller in that promo piece, but in some of those storyboards he looks huge, with grand wings rather than just slinky hands.
This post has been edited by E-122-Psi: 05 November 2014 - 06:53 PM

#370 User is offline Azookara 

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:07 PM

• take it from me, little buddy
  • Project:hoboagogo?
  • Wiki edits:27
There's been other pieces of the opening, final boss, ending cutscene, etc shown on SSMB already. I know we were talking about preserving the content for the sake of not spoiling everything the book has to offer, but since it was someone else posting it up is it cool if I throw it in here? I'm sure you guys will want to see it if you haven't migrated to SSMB to take a peek yet.

EDIT: Ech, thought I was editing this post instead of making a new one below it. Delete this one, I guess.
This post has been edited by Azukara: 05 November 2014 - 08:14 PM

#371 User is offline Azookara 

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:13 PM

• take it from me, little buddy
  • Project:hoboagogo?
  • Wiki edits:27
Well, I guess I'll go ahead and share all of these, since they're out there and there's basically no way I could let Sonic Retro go without seeing this.

(Spoilered for size.)

Intro and title screen:
Spoiler

Original continue / game over screens, end of stage bonus, wrecking ball boss / animal capsule concepts, and stage clear scenarios:
Spoiler

Final boss and ending scenarios:
Spoiler

I've always loved Sonic 1 but at the same time always found that it had this sort of "empty" quality I couldn't properly describe. Like there was something missing despite it feeling like a complete game. It really becomes apparent when you compare how solid 2, 3K and CD are compared to the first title, but I always assumed it was because they were sequels and generally just did a better job. Now that we're seeing all these shots of the band being a part of the original game, its coming together like pieces to a long lost puzzle.

Its hard to imagine what Sonic would've been like if this is how it would've been, though. Would it even have been as successful? Would the sequels even have turned out the way they did, if at all? Looking at this is like looking at some alternate reality where Sonic became a similar, yet completely different thing.

Can't wait to see some transcripts of Naka, Oshima and Yasuhara's interviews. This stuff is so dang good.
This post has been edited by Azukara: 05 November 2014 - 08:17 PM

#372 User is offline T.Q. 

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:23 PM

• The Sims 2, Dr. Julian Ivo Robotnik
  • Project:The company is now bankrupt. No more lego game show creations will occur
Wow, these concept sketches are amazing.

It looks like the game's intent was for Sonic to save his band members from Robotnik, maybe through 5 levels (1 for each of the 4 members, then a 5th for Robotnik's factory). Each band member trapped in a containment, then released when the boss is defeated.

These concepts definitely reflect well towards Sonic 8-Bit's design. But, why was there a change of direction for the 16-Bit game? And was there little time for the 8-Bit version to follow its 16-Bit counterpart?

#373 User is offline Delta 

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:31 PM

• Wiki edits:47
My guess is time constraints. Same reason that Hidden Palace was removed from Sonic 2. These concepts are great, but the more grand your concept is, the more time it takes to implement. The team probably recognized that they would be behind schedule if they used everything in their sketches, so they simplified everything.

I'd love to see these ideas in a ROM hack. :P Or perhaps Sonic Overture.

#374 User is offline Billy 

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:39 PM

• RIP Oderus Urungus
  • Project:retrooftheweek.net - Give it a visit and tell me what you think!
  • Wiki edits:15

View PostAzukara, on 05 November 2014 - 08:13 PM, said:

Original continue / game over screens, end of stage bonus, wrecking ball boss / animal capsule concepts, and stage clear scenarios:
Spoiler

Oh hey its the unused victory pose!
This post has been edited by Billy: 05 November 2014 - 08:39 PM

#375 User is offline Rika Chou 

Posted 05 November 2014 - 09:25 PM

• Adopt
  • Wiki edits:4
A lot of S1 concept art has Sonic jumping, but not curled jnto a ball. I wonder if there was just a normal jump at some point.

• 28 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

8 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users