Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Hacking Contest 2018 : NOW LIVE AND ACCEPTING ENTRIES - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 4 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Sonic Hacking Contest 2018 : NOW LIVE AND ACCEPTING ENTRIES sonichacking.org

#16 User is offline Spanner 

Posted 27 October 2018 - 06:55 PM

• The Tool
  • Project:Sonic Hacking Contest
  • Wiki edits:2,193
All those who plan on entering the Contest have LESS THAN 24 HOURS TO SUBMIT. At 12am GMT on Monday (also known as 8pm EDT on Sunday, remember that the clocks are changing), no more submissions to the Contest will be possible but there is always the Expo.

Remember, you don't need to be finished until next week, we just need that playable entry.

Also in regards to RHS and the trailer, he did get back to me earlier saying that he may have now fixed his computer troubles after all, although I may have someone else lined up as well. So we may end up with two trailers this year, or we might just have one. There will be more about that soon.

#17 User is offline Cinossu 

Posted 28 October 2018 - 01:00 PM

• inverted with love~
  • Project:Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
  • Wiki edits:474
Hey everyone! This is your six hour reminder for entry into the Contest portion of the SHC! Get your entries in before midnight UK time!

Just to clarify, this is for new entries; if you already have an entry, you still have your extra week of work to go about finishing things off. However, we will begin running quality control checks from this point on, meaning you should have a download available for us now and be happy with that being a possible entry at this point. The extra week is for sprucing things up, not to work on the entire entry in total.

That said, entry into the Expo side is still possible, and will be up and until the Contest Week where everything is shown off and all the fun begins!

#18 User is offline Spanner 

Posted 29 October 2018 - 02:31 PM

• The Tool
The deadline for Contest submissions has now expired, no more submissions can be made. If you still have something you want to show, please submit it to the Expo up to Sunday 11th November!

This week up to the end of Sunday 4th November (12am GMT on Monday 5th, 7pm EST Sunday 4th) is the update period for Contest submissions. After that, the judging will commence.

A list will also be posted with all the Contest entries following that deadline, it'd be inappropriate to post it right now as by the end of this week we may have some entries moved to the Expo as a result of quality control or failing to submit a playable build before the deadline. Any entries that will be moved to the expo will be emailed regarding it and the reasons why.

Regarding the trailer, RHS has told me that he will be sending back his motherboard for RMA and therefore will not be doing the trailer this year in case any further faults happen. However, Ryan from Tails Channel will be handling the duties instead. If you have already submitted clips to RHS, they will be forwarded to Ryan. If you haven't submitted trailer clips yet, please send them to SonicNewsChannel[@]gmail[.]com - please remember to submit in MP4 format, in 1080p at 60fps if possible and in the game's respective aspect ratio.
This post has been edited by Spanner: 29 October 2018 - 02:43 PM

#19 User is offline Selbi 

Posted 30 October 2018 - 12:56 PM

• Impaled with Extreme Prejudice
  • Project:Sonic ERaZor
  • Wiki edits:320
I have the unfortunate news that I will skip being a judge for this year's contest. "Skip", not step down. It doesn't mean that I'm not interested in judging and won't do it the upcoming years either, quite the opposite actually. The issue this year arose when I took an early look at the list of SHC 2018 entries.

Without spoiling too much, for the first time ever, we have more entries for mods of 3D Sonic games than 2D ones. Back then it wasn't much of an issue, because the subset of 3D games was small. However, this year the number of entries is so large that I cannot judge them in an unbiased and fair manner.

You see, I've never completed any 3D Sonic game apart from SADX, because I really, really, really hate 3D Sonic games. That includes Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic 06, Shadow the Hedgehog, Generations, Unleashed, Colors, Lost Worlds, and don't even get me started on Forces. So it'd be unfaithful to any participant who submitted a mod for any of these games if I just took my preemptive bias and collectively disregarded them in favor of 16-bit games.

An idea was to plow through all the original games before the official judging process would begin, but in reality that wouldn't change anything. Your hard work and effort put into your Forces mod won't magically make Forces a game that I can enjoy any better.

So, to preserve the good sports and fair competition for the Sonic Hacking Contest, I will pass over my position as a judge to Melpontro, who has generously accepted to pick up the task for me and is also much more capable of proper judgment for 3D Sonic mods than me.

#20 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 30 October 2018 - 03:09 PM

• Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339
You do know that people aren't going to stop making mods for 3D games, right? I'd hate for you to skip a year, only to come back next year and find there are just as many 3D entries, and then you skip another year, etc. Perhaps instead of stepping aside, you could only judge the 2D entries, and have Melpontro judge the 3D entries. Unless there's a limit on the number of judges?
This post has been edited by MainMemory: 30 October 2018 - 03:10 PM

#21 User is offline Selbi 

Posted 30 October 2018 - 04:22 PM

• Impaled with Extreme Prejudice
  • Project:Sonic ERaZor
  • Wiki edits:320
If the same problem occurs next year, I'll just step down entirely. I know the increase in 3D mods won't stop, and I'm not trying to doom-monger everything. My priority interest in any of this is to keep the contest fair for everyone, and if a judge like me isn't able to do so out of personal disinterest, why try to band-aid the situation with a "counterpart judge"?

This is only me, but my dream solution would be to split the contest for 2D and 3D mods, as we're really comparing apples to oranges when trying to judge equally for every entry. However, that'd require so much work we will likely not see it anytime soon.
This post has been edited by Selbi: 30 October 2018 - 04:22 PM

#22 User is offline Spanner 

Posted 31 October 2018 - 04:25 PM

• The Tool
I think it is right and only makes sense that more 3D mods are coming to be submitted. When you look at things over the last few years, especially on Retro, the activity on this forum has generally been directed towards the likes of modding for Generations, Mania and Forces. And there's nothing wrong with that, there's still so much untapped potential with a lot of these 3D games, so much still to do, whilst a lot of the 16-bit games have essentially "been there and done that" for the most part. There's still stuff that can still be done however.

That's not to say that people should stop hacking the 16-bit games. We still got plenty of them submitted this year and they generally are good submissions. All I'm saying is that this was gradually going to happen. I don't blame Selbi for stepping aside this year, all judges should be looking at every entry where possible (if you own the game or can get access to it, you should play it), and if you can't look at 3D entries because you just don't like the games itself, that is somewhat of a problem. We are at the stage where the majority of judges should be able to look at every single entry but exceptions do of course apply - if you don't own Forces or your computer can't handle it, it's just not going to happen. We did have an entry this year that was from Sonic 06 for Xbox 360 and we had to move that to the expo (and the submitter is fine with that) because only two judges who had modded consoles were going to be able to take a look at it and it really isn't that fair compared to others. Yes, an emulator does exist (Xenia) but obviously most could not run that.

It was only right to bring in Melpontro and to be honest the idea of looking for another judge had been floating around before Selbi took his own decision. There's just so many 3D mods this year and we could do with more than two judges who have experience with that side of things. As stated in the first post of this thread, judges can change at any time. I would really like to bring in a judge next year who has experience with Mania mods, but we'll see what happens.

I don't think we should split the contest but instead we should continue to look at the trophy categories - is there a trophy that does not have a 3D variant that should next year? All that and more can be discussed in the evaluation form following the end of this contest.
This post has been edited by Spanner: 31 October 2018 - 04:30 PM

#23 User is offline Clownacy 

Posted 03 November 2018 - 08:04 PM

Just a reminder that there are under 24 hours left to submit your final updates before the deadline.

#24 User is offline Spanner 

Posted 04 November 2018 - 04:12 PM

• The Tool
Less than three hours left. Updating your contest entry is not guaranteed after 12am GMT / 7pm EST.

Judging commences after this deadline. What's in the Contest? Find out tomorrow with the list of entries.

#25 User is offline Clownacy 

Posted 04 November 2018 - 08:20 PM

The window for contest entry updates is now closed. Expo entrants still have until the end of the 11th to refine their entries.

#26 User is offline Spanner 

Posted 05 November 2018 - 04:45 PM

• The Tool
If you never saw the early preview posted on the SHC Twitter, here is the list of entries for the Hacking Contest. Plenty of 3D entries this year but there's still many 2D submissions as well so there's something for everyone to play.

Please note that I mostly followed the username on the site page, unfortunately teams were not implemented in time this year due to a bug in the software which stalled things. Hopefully things get sorted next time.

• 2P Shadow the Hedgehog by dreamsyntax
  • Among the Others by Unlimited Trees
  • Aquarium Park by Skyth_
  • Camelot Castle Generatiosn by Melpontro
  • Classic Sonic Improvement Mod by Showin
  • Cthulu's Island by PineappleArse
  • Dreamcast Chao Gardens by Exant64
  • Emerald Coast in SA2 by MainMemory
  • Hellfire Saga by Narcologer
  • Hidden Palace Adventure by SuperEgg
  • Knuckles in Sonic 3 PC by MainMemory
  • Lost Valley Overclocked by Infinite_Force
  • Megaman X in Sonic 2 by Pacca
  • Mortar Canyon Remastered 2 by Infinite_Force
  • Network Terminal Overclocked by Infinite_Force
  • Prototype Windy Valley by ItsEasyActually
  • Radical Highway for Sonic Heroes by Shadowth117
  • SADX - Sonic, Shadow and Metal Sonic mod, Gameplay Overhaul by Benji23245
  • Sonic 1 Almost Remastered by BonesBurger
  • Sonic 2 CD Remix by Pacca
  • Sonic 3 & Knuckles Battle Race by Natsumi & MarkeyJester
  • Sonic Cronos (demo) by Timaeus
  • Sonic Eclipse Demo by Mr_Cat
  • Sonic Forces - Glyphic Canyon by Knuxfan24
  • Sonic Forces - Lava Shelter by Knuxfan24
  • Sonic Heroes 2P Co-Op by DonutStopGaming
  • Sonic Limbo by lordxernom
  • Sonic Mania: The Misfits Pack SHC2018 by jubbalub
  • Sonic the Hackable by CHRdutch
  • Sonic The Hedgehog - Neo Quest by MrHooman
  • Sonic the Hedgehog Frenzy (Demo) by Yoshister
  • STH2006 Project Demo 4 by brianuuu
  • Sweet Mountain Act 2 by JoeyLaw
  • Team Dark - SA2 Edition by Shadowth117
  • Tropical Resort ReBoosted by SKmaric
  • Weapons Bed...for Sonic Forces by DeaTHProj

If your entry is not on this list then it was moved to the Expo, those that were have been emailed earlier in the week as to why. Remember that we do quality check Expo entries too however we can be a little more lenient however anything that is outright awful will not be shown, this is not a free for all. Furthermore, if you are submitting entries that consist of using a disassembly with features you can enable with the flick of a switch (cough, ReadySonic) followed by piling in tons of guides made by other people with minimum effort from yourself, then it is not being judged. We got two of these this year and needless to say they are no longer in the Contest, a few more from the 3D side also were moved. Last year people commented that the quality control should have made certain Contest entries into Expo ones instead, and we have done exactly that this year. We may not be perfect, so if we get something wrong again in relation to the quality checks do let us know, we can refine it further for next year.

All of these entries and much more will be playable from Monday 26th November. Remember that we are still taking Expo entries so it's not too late to get involved. Also remember to get your clips submitted for the trailer - the details of which are in this thread. Judging of the above entries starts now and will last up to the end of the Contest Week. As per last time, feedback will be given. There's still plenty more announcements to come...
This post has been edited by Spanner: 18 November 2018 - 06:39 PM

#27 User is offline Knucklez 

Posted 08 November 2018 - 10:39 PM

Pretty pathetic that it was misunderstood that my hack was built on ReadySonic when it was built on the S1 GitHub disasm and ReadySonic's fixes were a guiding LIST I referenced to fix numerous issues myself so that I could fix as many things as possible which I thought I stated clearly. I understand why my hack wasn't contest worthy enough for YOU but maybe I failed to mention just how much I put into resolving numerous issues. A third of it was guide-based while the rest required my own personal tweaking and working around with. Doesn't matter anymore anyway. I deleted it from the expo.

I wholeheartedly put together something to the best of my ability as a thank you to this community for all of the resources and hacks it has made available to myself and everyone alike. Clownacy did the same exact hack for Sonic 2 last year and it made the contest. Honestly, I don't know why I even bother. Thanks.

As for everyone whose hack made it into the contest, congratulations and good luck.

#28 User is offline Spanner 

Posted 09 November 2018 - 12:02 AM

• The Tool
We're trying to set a standard in the Hacking Contest. Even last year, when we introduced quality control, the public made it clear that they felt some Contest entries should have been moved to the Expo. This is what we are doing this year. There's not much to write about in bug fix hacks nowadays in terms of evaluation from judges and it certainly would not win anything. Moving it to the Expo was the right move.

There was another entry that was moved to the Expo (similar to yours in some aspects) and they replied back to the email in a very professional manner after being explained why it was moved in a follow-up, it's a shame you couldn't have done the same by airing your concerns in email before complaining on a public forum. We could have addressed things further and sorted things out in an ideal way.

As for Sonic 2 Fine2uned, actually it was in the Expo and not the Contest, Clownacy will tell you that himself when he replies to this thread.

If you change your mind after reading this, feel free to submit again. You can also post your work in this thread as well.

Got a few days left before the Expo deadline, if anyone else wants in, please submit. If you need verification for not having a full member account on Retro or SSRG all you need to do is follow the instructions on the website.
This post has been edited by Spanner: 09 November 2018 - 12:10 AM

#29 User is offline Neo 

Posted 09 November 2018 - 04:24 AM

• Clackerjack
  • Project:Sonic 3 Unlocked
  • Wiki edits:1

View PostSpanner, on 09 November 2018 - 12:02 AM, said:

it's a shame you couldn't have done the same by airing your concerns in email before complaining on a public forum. We could have addressed things further and sorted things out in an ideal way.

You make it sound like what he did was unprofessional, when given its nature nothing about the hacking contest is professional.

View PostKnucklez, on 08 November 2018 - 10:39 PM, said:

Honestly, I don't know why I even bother.

Never work your ass off for someone else. Always do it for yourself first and foremost, and then if other people like it, the better.

#30 User is offline Clownacy 

Posted 09 November 2018 - 08:48 AM

Spanner's right: I never submitted Fine2uned to the contest. From the beginning I knew it was expo material.

I was actually the one that objected to your hack in the first place. One of my main factors in deciding if an entry is valid or not is if it's eligible for any trophies: some entries are technical feats very clearly gunning for the 11000101 trophy, while others are well-rounded hacks that seem to be trying for a whole bunch at once, even if unintentionally.

But a bugfix hack? Considering most changes were just lifted from guides written by other people (myself included), I can't say the hack's very technically-impressive at all. And if it's not going for the 11000101 trophy, then what is it?

I think it'd just be a waste for each judge to have to write an entire review for something that doesn't have anything to write about. I know I'd probably just point out the bugs you missed and call it a day. I can't imagine you fixed many of the sound driver bugs, for instance.

Anyhow, earlier I said that most of the changes came from guides. What's the story with that anyway? In your post you say only 30% of fixes came from guides, yet on your contest page, you only note two changes you made yourself, and you mention them repeatedly. Even Fine2uned is mostly other people's guides.

...I can't think of how to work this into the rest of the post, so I'll just put it here. I don't get this idea of 'but I worked really hard on it, so it shouldn't be moved to the expo'. It's called 'quality-control', not 'effort-control'. I'm sure the guys that made Sonic XE back in 2016 tried their best too. That didn't stop it from being one of the most slated entries in the contest that year.

As shallow as it sounds, we care about results, not how much effort you put in behind-the-scenes. If you can't take being told your work isn't good enough, then a contest clearly isn't the place for you.
This post has been edited by Clownacy: 09 November 2018 - 10:16 AM

• 4 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users