Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Random Hack/Mini Project Thread - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 52 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Random Hack/Mini Project Thread

#316 User is offline MarkeyJester 

Posted 15 October 2010 - 01:18 AM

• It's Saturday TV Toons!! (90's Style)
  • Wiki edits:16
While I don't know much about the ring system in Sonic 2, I'll assume it's similar to normal objects, and therefore needs to be deleted, not just returned to, or the object shall remain in ram taking up not only a slot, but a bit of processing time too.

#317 User is offline KingDedede16 

Posted 15 October 2010 - 11:34 AM

QUOTE (theocas @ Oct 14 2010, 09:51 PM)
QUOTE (KingDedede16 @ Oct 14 2010, 09:20 PM)
I made my first hack today after finally figuring out how to use SonEd2. Its called Sonic 2 No Rings. Just like the name implies, there are no rings in the game. This hack was kinda inspired by Mario, given how in Mario's old games you could get killed in one hit. Well, thankfully for you, I have left the Shield Monitors in, however, some aren't in the same places and some are even added to the Zones. There's also more 1up Monitors around to ease difficulty a bit.

Snapshots(cuz you know we all love them):

Mercy from the boss

Heaven...I'm in 1up Heaven...

Yup, I accidentally left a small row of rings on EHZAct1. I tried to go back and edit it, but it SonEd and SonEd2 wouldn't let me fix this error. Please ignore this. This is the only mistake I know of...

DOWNLOAD

I hope you guys find this hack of mine a little fun and challenging. If anyone knows how I might be able to remove that group of rings I missed in EHZAct1 without having to redo the entire hack all over again, that would be great. smile.png

Find the object code for the rings (Something like ObjXX, where XX are hex numbers) and add an RTS directly under the label. That makes the object code return immediately and therefore, disappear.

It think I might be able to figure that out...but I'm quite the noob hacker. lol

So I'm gonna need a hex editor for this? And I hate to ask, but what does RTS mean? ohdear.png
This post has been edited by KingDedede16: 15 October 2010 - 11:35 AM

#318 User is offline Jaseman 

Posted 15 October 2010 - 11:37 AM

• The programmer has a nap! Hold out! Programmer!
  • Wiki edits:16
QUOTE (GenesisFan64 @ Sep 26 2010, 12:19 AM)
*Bump* (kinda)

GEMS Sound Engine in Sonic 1

Thanks to lukeusher123 for the source code of his GEMS Playback ROM

Sorry for the extended n00bness, but how would I go about getting the GEMS sound files in this? And how could I extract GEMS sound files from games?

#319 User is offline Selbi 

Posted 15 October 2010 - 12:14 PM

• Impaled with Extreme Prejudice
  • Project:Sonic ERaZor
  • Wiki edits:320
QUOTE (Jaseman @ Oct 15 2010, 06:37 PM)
*Bump* (kinda)

Sorry for the extended n00bness, but how would I go about getting the GEMS sound files in this? And how could I extract GEMS sound files from games?

I'm not sure, but I think he used this: http://www.hidden-palace.org/?releases/44

#320 User is offline GenesisFan64 

Posted 15 October 2010 - 03:57 PM

• The bright side of the dark side.
  • Wiki edits:3
QUOTE (Selbi @ Oct 15 2010, 12:14 PM)
QUOTE (Jaseman @ Oct 15 2010, 06:37 PM)
*Bump* (kinda)

I'm not sure, but I think he used this: http://www.hidden-palace.org/?releases/44

No, I used this.

#321 User is offline GenesisFan64 

Posted 15 October 2010 - 05:27 PM

• The bright side of the dark side.
  • Wiki edits:3
Double post:

Socket sound driver in Sonic 1

Note: No DAC
This post has been edited by GenesisFan64: 15 October 2010 - 05:36 PM

#322 User is offline Andlabs 

Posted 16 October 2010 - 12:36 AM

• 「いっきまーす」
  • Project:Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
  • Wiki edits:7,061
QUOTE (Jaseman @ Oct 15 2010, 12:37 PM)
The reason why I haven't ripped any DAC out of GEMS games yet is because I was planning on documenting the locations of the data in every GEMS game one day. It's actually really trivial since the GEMS initialization routine takes the pointers to everything, so all I would need to know is the size of the item on the list closest to the end of the ROM (assuming it's all contiguous, that is).

#323 User is offline ColinC10 

Posted 16 October 2010 - 06:38 AM

QUOTE (KingDedede16 @ Oct 15 2010, 05:34 PM)
QUOTE (theocas @ Oct 14 2010, 09:51 PM)
QUOTE (KingDedede16 @ Oct 14 2010, 09:20 PM)

I hope you guys find this hack of mine a little fun and challenging. If anyone knows how I might be able to remove that group of rings I missed in EHZAct1 without having to redo the entire hack all over again, that would be great. smile.png

Find the object code for the rings (Something like ObjXX, where XX are hex numbers) and add an RTS directly under the label. That makes the object code return immediately and therefore, disappear.

It think I might be able to figure that out...but I'm quite the noob hacker. lol

So I'm gonna need a hex editor for this? And I hate to ask, but what does RTS mean? ohdear.png

Rings are obj25. In Sonic 1, rings are treated the same way as any other object, so by disabling obj25 you'll remove all rings. However, Sonic 2 treats rings as a special case and normally doesn't use obj25. Instead, rings are handled by the RingsManager routine, so you need to stop this from running.

If you're using SonEd2, that means you're using a split disassembly. So, to make changes to the code, you just need to open "s2.asm" in a text editor, do a search for the thing you want (in this case, "RingsManager"), make the change and then save and build. If you don't know how to code in ASM, don't worry, as you'll be able to get by with just two things!

First, a semicolon ";" means a comment, so place this in front of individual lines to prevent them from executing. Secondly, "rts" means "return from subroutine", so place this within a block of code to stop anything below it executing. In your case, you want to type it just below the "RingsManger:" label, so that any time it tries to run it immediately exits again.

#324 User is offline Namo 

Posted 16 October 2010 - 07:50 AM

• take a screenshot of your heart
QUOTE (GenesisFan64 @ Oct 15 2010, 06:27 PM)
Double post:

Socket sound driver in Sonic 1

Note: No DAC

This is pretty glitchy - the explosions are random letters and the flickies are letters as well. Also, I paused it and the game froze.

#325 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 12 December 2010 - 11:14 PM

• Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339
Sonic 2 Secret Rings Control, a port of SatSR's controls to S2.
Tails is disabled, 2P is disabled, the level select screen always appears when starting the game.

Controls:
Press nothing to move forward
Press the opposite direction to walk backwards
Press C to jump
Press C while jumping to do a homing attack or jump dash
Jump while holding back to hop backwards, but this leaves you vulnerable
Hold B to stop
Press B in the air to do a jump cancel (stop moving forwards and shoot down)
Hold B or back while in the air to not move forwards
Hold A to perform Speed Break, draining your rings and making you invincible
Sonic will turn around when he hits: a spring, a CPZ booster, or the bouncy walls in Metropolis.

#326 User is offline Neo Hazard 

Posted 12 December 2010 - 11:25 PM

• Wiki edits:2
QUOTE (MainMemory @ Dec 12 2010, 10:14 PM)
Sonic 2 Secret Rings Control, a port of SatSR's controls to S2.

Gave this a try and it's certainly interesting. Managed to get through all of Emerald Hill and then got stuck in the first act of Chemical Plant thanks to not being able to go the other direction. Still, it's pretty fun, good work!

#327 User is offline RGamer2009 

Posted 13 December 2010 - 02:07 PM

• True Blue
  • Wiki edits:3,086
MainMemory, I am determined to beat each zone in this manner! I love a good challenge.

EDIT: Case in point:

This post has been edited by RGamer2009: 13 December 2010 - 02:15 PM

#328 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 13 December 2010 - 02:59 PM

Updated with fixed homing attack, now targets badniks, monitors, bosses, springs, signpost, breakable block, bumpers.

#329 User is offline Zero Dozer 

Posted 13 December 2010 - 03:17 PM

QUOTE (RGamer2009 @ Dec 13 2010, 05:07 PM)
EDIT: Case in point:

This reminds me: the Sonic 2 Secret Rings Edition should have a challenge called "Hold Right to Win". This playability should be included in that game ALONG WITH THAT CHALLENGE.

The legitimate "Hold Right to Win" challenge was just made by MainMemory. We just need to implement this as a challenge mode in Sonic 2 Secret Rings Edition and voilá (is this how this word is written?).
This post has been edited by Zero Dozer: 13 December 2010 - 03:19 PM

#330 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 13 December 2010 - 03:40 PM

Well, I'd pretty much have to make two versions of each of Sonic's movement routines, but I could probably do it.

• 52 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users