Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: General Questions and Information Thread - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 50 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

General Questions and Information Thread was More requests/B-Club, PSIV, and some game ID for now :/

#736 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 02 December 2018 - 05:01 PM

• It's sometimes the real thing™
  • Project:New Coke wasn't sold in the UK
  • Wiki edits:20,569

View PostGryson, on 29 November 2018 - 08:24 PM, said:

Anybody ever heard of this one?

There was a Mega Drive TV show in Japan for a short time in 1990 called Hiroko Moriguchi's Mega Kids TV.

It's not clear how many episodes there were. This site talks about the first two:

http://segamania.net...4/bn081001.html

It mostly seems unrelated to the Mega Drive and focuses more on promoting singer Hiroko Moriguchi. The first episode featured some short Darwin 4081 gameplay at the end, and the second episode featured a Phantasy Star 3 skit and music by the SST Band.

Here is a clip from the first episode (nothing related to the MD...):

https://www.youtube....h?v=YjZ9Rv0Qx60

I discovered it from some coverage in Beep! MD: https://retrocdn.net...-05.pdf&page=12

Had a quick look and made a Moriguchi Hiroko no Mega Kids TV page:

https://retrocdn.net...-07.pdf&page=72

Got some air dates. Could be a struggle to find footage though.

#737 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 05 December 2018 - 04:46 PM

Part of the reason I hang around is because the Retro wikis have a habit of doing things that I genuinely didn't think was possible (at least in the short term).

Thanks to Tongara, Harmony, the internal Sega magazine that nobody knew existed a few years ago, just got itself some release dates:

Sega Freaks

eek

#738 User is offline JaxTH 

Posted 07 December 2018 - 01:41 AM

• Pudding Deity
  • Project:Jack shit.
  • Wiki edits:2
So who owns Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and/or Super Smash Bros. for Wii U?

There is a severe lack of Bayonetta on these pages.

As for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, we will also need information for Bayonetta some time down the line...As well as another certain Sega character.

#739 User is offline doc eggfan 

Posted 11 December 2018 - 07:27 AM

• bona fide games journalist
  • Project:GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
  • Wiki edits:2
So does this deserve it's own entry on Sega Retro, or should it be combined with Cleaning_System

Posted Image

I'm guessing this was an Australian/Ozisoft only thing? I wish I still had mine from years ago for scanning.

Skip to 19:34 in this video to see it being talked about too
https://retrocdn.net...14-May-1994.mp4

#740 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 12 December 2018 - 05:28 PM

Posted Image Posted Image

Spot the difference. Aside from all the obvious differences.

With so many minor variants, there is no realistic prospect of ever documenting every Sega slot machine from the 40s/50s/60s, but it's still fun to try. I particularly like the way the bunny girls are different colours here - no normal person would ever notice that in real life.

The left one names the UK distributor, Phonographic Equipment, because dyslexia didn't exist 60 years ago.

That cleaning kit should probably get its own page, because it's a Sega-badged thing that's wildly different to the other Sega-badged cleaning system.

There's actually a whole set of Ozisoft accessories similar to that:
Posted Image

I've yet to figure out clean ways to handle everything, but scans and photos should totally be uploaded anyway. Stick it on the pile - something will happen to them one day.

(this is a guideline for all our wikis - you can upload files without having to make pages - someone else can finish the job. Just make sure they're named (and preferably categorised) in a sensible way, so we know what it is. I upload all sorts of Sega-related cack without clear plans on what to do with them - it guarantees everything is in one place)

#741 User is offline Pirate Dragon 

Posted 16 December 2018 - 12:40 PM

Sony ported Columns in 1991 to their line of "Data Discman" Electronic Book readers, building it in to a couple of models. Confirmed in "DD-10BZ" (1992), and "DD-202" (1997), but I don't think that all models had it. DD-10BZ was released in Japan and Europe, not sure about North America though.

I'm not sure how we would define that "format" on the wiki.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#742 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 16 December 2018 - 12:45 PM

Freaky

Is this built into the BIOS or actually distributed on a data disc?

#743 User is offline Pirate Dragon 

Posted 16 December 2018 - 01:42 PM

It's built into the bios ... the Electronic Book format wasn't really capable of games beyond "choose your own adventure" type stuff.

#744 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 16 December 2018 - 02:12 PM

We'll probably want to give it its own page (rather than cramming it into the current Columns page). I have no idea how it will look.

Although to be thorough, we would probably want photographs of every Data Discman that has it built in. I don't think there'll ever be a clean way to handle fringe cases like this.

#745 User is offline Asagoth 

Posted 16 December 2018 - 02:48 PM

• Behold ... the mighty... the flawless... salted cod eater...
Fantastic finding... I would love to play Columns in ''old monochrome fashion''... :)/>

#746 User is offline Pirate Dragon 

Posted 16 December 2018 - 03:01 PM

Yeah, it's pretty crowded, we could probably split out the home computer versions too.

I went down the "EBXA" (Electronic Book format supported by Wonder Library and Sega Saturn Denshi Book Operator) rabbit hole this afternoon. It was primarily a Sony format, but also supported by Panasonic and Sanyo. "Mini CD" in a caddy, which could be removed (presumably how it would be used on Mega CD and Saturn). "EBXA" supported Text, Graphics (low-res black and white), and Sound. Prior formats EB (Japan), and EBG (West) didn't support sound. I'm not sure what the difference between EB and EBG is ... probably incompatibilities between the differing text encoding for Roman alphabet and Japanese which should have been fixed with EBXA players which I presume are backwards compatible with both variants.

"Data Discman" released in Japan in 1990 (EB), US at the end of 1991 (EBG), and 1992 in Europe (EBXA). A few dozen titles were released in the west, mostly reference titles such as encyclopedias, dictionaries etc. Maybe the only title that could be considered a game was "Adventure 101: Intro to Tourist, Traps, Dwarfs, and Chivalry", a "choose your own adventure" book published by Sony Electronic Publishing in 1991. Sony Electronic Publishing published quite a few of the western titles. I wonder if they were responsible for for the Columns port? I don't think that Sony had any other developers at the time.

Anyway, "Data Discman" didn't really take off in the west, it was expensive and clunky, and it seems to have died in 1993 with the last software and hardware releases, which probably explains why the US release of Wonder Library is so rare (X'Eye released in April 1994). In Japan it was a bit more succesful, lasting until 2000 with several hundred titles getting released, and seeing another couple of upgrades. EBXA-C was pretty minor, just containing Chinese language support, possible only used by one title, a Chinese-Japanese dictionary. S-EBXA seems to have been more substantial, but releasing in 1998 it was largely superceded by the internet, and the format seems to have ended in Japan in 2000.
This post has been edited by Pirate Dragon: 16 December 2018 - 03:11 PM

#747 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 16 December 2018 - 03:17 PM

(for those who don't have the right YouTube subscriptions)

There are a lot of versions of Columns, and yeah I would like to split them... I just don't know how.

Because the problem is, much like Tetris back in the day, most versions of Columns are subtly different from one another. The SystemSoft ports are the only versions that appear to offer the same content - every other version is pretty much unique.

There are a lot of really obviously unanswered questions with how the wikis are organised right now. The rules for every verison of Columns will be the same, but there's no clean methods of "sharing" paragraphs of text across multiple pages (not to mention the Columns page on NEC Retro).

#748 User is offline Pirate Dragon 

Posted 16 December 2018 - 03:46 PM

And I haven't even bothered with the Sega Channel releases yet, which seem to be quite different to the retail release ... We need a Columns expert, or someone prepared to become one at least.

#749 User is offline biggestsonicfan 

Posted 16 December 2018 - 04:45 PM

• Model2wannaB
  • Project:Formerly Sonic the Fighters

View PostICEknight, on 01 December 2018 - 08:30 PM, said:

Guess what's just been dumped:

This was always broken at Arcade Infinity when I wanted to play it...

View PostTheKazeblade, on 01 December 2018 - 10:19 PM, said:

If any of you hadn't already seen the news, the book Console Wars is being adapted into a TV series. I know there's mixed feelings around here on the books' fictionalization of events, but considering the 4 years that have passed since it was published, hopefully they've taken some time to to fact-check and bring in some more factual aspects as opposed to focusing on the drama. Can't help but feel optimistic, whether that's misplaced hope or not.

There will be no fact checking, as Sega and Nintendo of Japan will keep their secrets to the grave. We will never fully realize the console wars, just what we've interpreted from them.

• 50 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users