Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: More Sega Channel prototypes dumped. - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 15 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

More Sega Channel prototypes dumped. Even earlier ones.

#211 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 07 January 2016 - 03:57 PM

• wikiman
  • Project:thinking of a better member title
  • Wiki edits:20,569
1994-12-12 - the official US launch. Mario Lemieux apparently turned up.

But I'm out of the loop - did we spot this one?
This post has been edited by Black Squirrel: 07 January 2016 - 03:57 PM

#212 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 04 February 2016 - 04:52 PM

• wikiman
This keeps turning up - I shouldn't ignore it

http://segaretro.org...EO_GAME_CHANNEL

http://retrocdn.net/...066.pdf&page=68

There was an attempt to stick some sort of 3D Virtual Reality technology thing onto the Sega Channel in the US. I don't think it amounted to anything, but I might be wrong?

#213 User is offline JennyTablina 

Posted 05 February 2016 - 02:35 AM

This is just a bit of info I remember. Sadly I can't find a lot of proof to back me up but eh.

In about 1995-1998 Thurrock Lakeside had a Kids Playarea (called Action Stations) open that had typical ballpit stuff but also high-tech offerings. I remember getting to go once and most of the consoles available at the time were Sega Mega Drives in demo booths that had Sega Channel cartridges. In fact as I recall they only had sega systems so I think it was a deal they had with the playarea company. Recall the systems running Sonic 2 at the time.

I lived in Essex then, but I can't say I ever heard of anyone in my area actually having Sega Channel outside this one instance. Generally I think the UK service had nowhere near the level of use the US one seems to have had.

Also not sure if anyone saw this Chris Bergstresser interview but seems to indicate some move was being made to take Channel beyond MD/Gen but ultimately nixed by company. But I'm not sure how that would have worked for Saturn and PC.
This post has been edited by JennyTablina: 05 February 2016 - 02:35 AM

#214 User is offline Pirate Dragon 

Posted 07 September 2016 - 11:05 AM

Kiosk; Wolcott , New York. October 13th, 1995. Looks to be playing Earthworm Jim 2, which was a Test Drive that month.

Posted Image
This post has been edited by Pirate Dragon: 07 September 2016 - 11:05 AM

#215 User is offline Pirate Dragon 

Posted 08 September 2016 - 02:01 AM

Looks like a Japanese schedule for September-November 1996 in a link previously posted.

Posted Image

Which shows that it lasted through most of 1996 at least. A full set of these would be amazing, but I'm guessing that they're ultra rare.

#216 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 24 September 2016 - 01:08 PM

• wikiman
TLC

"Don't go chasing waterfalls, please stick to the rivers and the lakes that you're used to"

"I don't want no scrub"

etc.

Forgettable 90s girl group. One of them is dead now. Anyway in 1995 they did a wishy-washy public service tour called "Believe in yourself" and it was sponsored by Sega Channel:

http://retrocdn.net/..._15.pdf&page=26

Would anyone like the pleasure of finding more info? Apparently their music was due to be incorporated into the service

This post has been edited by Black Squirrel: 24 September 2016 - 01:09 PM

#217 User is offline Meat Miracle 

Posted 26 June 2017 - 05:37 PM

• Wiki edits:2
https://storage.goog...isk Backups.zip

you guys might want to check that out. Shitload of sega channel stuff inside.

Some references to Garfield Lost Levels too, but no concrete game data I can find, only infodumps for the menus.
This post has been edited by Meat Miracle: 26 June 2017 - 05:37 PM

#218 User is offline biggestsonicfan 

Posted 26 June 2017 - 07:17 PM

• Model2B Junkie
  • Project:Sonic the Fighters ... Always

View PostMeat Miracle, on 26 June 2017 - 05:37 PM, said:

https://storage.goog...isk Backups.zip

you guys might want to check that out. Shitload of sega channel stuff inside.

Some references to Garfield Lost Levels too, but no concrete game data I can find, only infodumps for the menus.

"Anonymous users does not have storage.objects.get access to object tytopia/SEGA Disk Backups.zip"

#219 User is offline Meat Miracle 

Posted Yesterday, 02:24 PM

Well that's what happens when you don't mirror stuff for yourself.

Anyway, here you go, I recompressed it to RAR and also removed the 6000+ mac thumbnails generated into the folders (which conveniently also destroyed the folder modification timestamp when they were created... I thought we were free from the thumbs.db hell already).

SEGA Disk Backups.rar 629.4 MB
https://mega.nz/#!kw...yWBRRM8CmtRMDaM

#220 User is offline biggestsonicfan 

Posted Yesterday, 03:37 PM

• Model2B Junkie
Posted Image
THE ORIGINAL SONIC MANIA?
This post has been edited by biggestsonicfan: Yesterday, 03:38 PM

#221 User is offline evilhamwizard 

Posted Yesterday, 04:07 PM

• Wiki edits:109
HPZ is going to write an article on this soon. We are still researching all that was in there, but we identified all the playable ROMs at least.

--------------------------------------------------
A couple of unique Primal Rage ROMs:
Posted Image
Primal Rage (Test Drive)
Primal Rage Showdown
Primal Rage (Rental Version)

The first is a series of ROMs that were used in an event to showcase the upcoming release of Primal Rage. An event was held starting August 1st to August 25th to allow subscribers to play a “Test Drive” version of Primal Rage in preparation for Primal Rage Showdown, an event that challenged players with a very tough fight for a chance to a win a Primal Rage arcade machine, along with 150 other prizes as well. The event was held on August 25th, and was followed by a rental version of Primal Rage with certain features cut that was only available for 24 hours. This version would also be used in subsequent months on Sega Channel as the main Primal Rage ROM.

Posted Image
Planet Message Quiz
Included in the archive is a folder of ROMs used for the Japanese release of the service. The service in Japan would sometimes offer unique games that have not been released or seen since. One of these is a game called “Planet Message Quiz”, a quiz game created to educate players on the solar system. This is the first time this game has been offered since the service went live years ago and would've been lost since.

Posted Image
Nyuushi Chokuzen Check Nanmon Kimon Kiki Kaikai
Another special exclusive Japan-only game released in the service. This quiz game seems to have been created to test cram school students in Japan to help them pass their exams. This is another game that has also never been offered since the service was live.

Posted Image
Kyuukai Douchuuki (Prototype)
A possible prototype or second revision of Kyuukai Douchuuki was included in the archive for some reason. Out of all the games included in the archive (save for Primal Rage and the Sega Channel test ROMs), this was the only ROM that did not match the final released ROM. It only contains code differences, so we're not sure if it could be a prototype in disguise or just another revision (the header hasn't been changed to reflect this if it is).

Posted Image
Sega Channel Test ROMs
Included in the archive were many test ROMs that tested various menus throughout 1995. Aside from having access to the games, each ROM is essentially a time capsule as to what the service offered that month to its subscribers.
--------------------------------------------------

All the other ROMs included either match the final or are non working (there were some game help test roms that didn't work, save for one). We're also working on documenting all of the game guides as well. We've been working on this for several days so please stay tuned.
This post has been edited by evilhamwizard: Yesterday, 04:09 PM

#222 User is offline Meat Miracle 

Posted Yesterday, 05:21 PM

Any chance you can get the three sound folders to playable music? I'm mainly interested in the Howard Drossin ones.

And any trace you can find of Garfield Lost Levels. The ROM is not there, and I only seen references to it in directory listings. It is probably not there...

#223 User is offline evilhamwizard 

Posted Yesterday, 09:49 PM

• Wiki edits:109
It's definitely all GEMS music. There's only one song in the HOWARD folder, and comparing the bytes from the sequencing data (SBANK1.ASM) to my ROM set, it matches a song exclusively in Comix Zone (Beta). The kicker is that the main snare sample data (in DBANK1.ASM) matches the sample data in Sonic Spinball. It's definitely something from Howard Drossin.

Garfield's not there, but we know the file name and that you could only play three levels. If the file name is a build date (1220) it was built after the actual retail release, interestingly enough (since it was assumed it was just a prototype version of the original, but this seems to imply that this was built specifically for Sega Channel). In fact many "test drive" games are usually just final ROMs with time limits set on them, so not every ROM had to be recompiled to be a test drive game. There were some really interesting ones that we saw, like Ecco Jr. which predated the retail release by at least 7 months. There were also some special Earthworm Jim (1) ROMs that were actually real time demos showing how to play the game, which only two were made. The other ROMs that were used for the service aren't in the archive, they all used to be compressed in a directory called "xsccomp". But maybe a backup was made somewhere...

#224 User is offline biggestsonicfan 

Posted Today, 12:51 AM

• Model2B Junkie
The samples in the SDK containing Tank Girl and Star Wars are pretty awesome... This stuff is a treasure trove!

The CMP file format as far as I can figure out:
Offset - Description
0x00000000 - Pointer to the beginning of compressed data (2 bytes)
0x00000002 - Total size of compressed data (4 bytes)
0x00000006 - Total size of decompressed file (4 bytes)

The next 8 bytes could possibly be some sort of checksum. I hope we find these lost CMP files some day.
This post has been edited by biggestsonicfan: Today, 01:25 AM

• 15 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users