Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic things you used to misremember - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Jump to content

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 3 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
    Locked
    Locked Forum

Sonic things you used to misremember Ever thought up some odd things?

#1 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:13 AM

  • Posts: 10926
  • Joined: 21-April 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10
So yea, I'm just curious. Has anyone ever misremembered things that they could have sworn were true but turned out to be false? Like I could have sworn back in the day that Angel Island Zone in Sonic 3 had a 3rd act. I have no idea why I thought that but I thought it for the longest time, especially considering I didn't own Sonic 3 for a while so that thought lingered.

For those curious I thought it started after Knuckles hit the switch at the end of Act 2. Instead of leading to Hydrocity though it lead to a 3rd Act starting at the bottom of the waterfall.
This post has been edited by Dark Sonic: 16 October 2017 - 02:06 PM

#2 User is offline DigitalDuck 

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:18 AM

  • Arriving four years late.
  • Posts: 4607
  • Joined: 23-June 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lincs, UK
  • Project:TurBoa, S1RL

View PostDark Sonic, on 16 October 2017 - 10:13 AM, said:

So yea, I'm just curious. Has anyone ever misremembered things that they could have sworn were true but turn out to be false? Like I could have sworn back in the day that Angel Island Zone in Sonic 3 had a 3rd act. I have no idea why I thought that but I thought it for the longest time, especially considering I didn't own Sonic 3 for a while so that thought lingered.


I'm sure I remember Mushroom Hill having a third act.

#3 User is offline Kail 

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:46 AM

  • depression queen
  • Posts: 650
  • Joined: 21-December 10
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Jersey City, NJ
  • Wiki edits:6
when I was 5 I had a dream that the pacman creatures from The Langoliers were eating Sky Sanctuary Zone and I always thought that was a legit part of the level

#4 User is offline LordOfSquad 

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:47 AM

  • Still waiting on Feel The Magic 3
  • Posts: 4517
  • Joined: 19-February 08
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Winnipeg, MB
  • Project:Tunes for Sonic Panic, among other things
  • Wiki edits:1

View PostDigitalDuck, on 16 October 2017 - 10:18 AM, said:

View PostDark Sonic, on 16 October 2017 - 10:13 AM, said:

So yea, I'm just curious. Has anyone ever misremembered things that they could have sworn were true but turn out to be false? Like I could have sworn back in the day that Angel Island Zone in Sonic 3 had a 3rd act. I have no idea why I thought that but I thought it for the longest time, especially considering I didn't own Sonic 3 for a while so that thought lingered.


I'm sure I remember Mushroom Hill having a third act.


Young Me considered the green part of act 2 to be a third act back in the day. Probably thinking along the same lines.

Around the same time, I had a dream that I managed to beat the miniboss that burns up Angel Island and got to play through act 2 unburned. I was convinced for awhile that I actually did it, and spent like two years afterwards trying to pull it off to (obviously) no success.

~aah, to be young again~
This post has been edited by LordOfSquad: 16 October 2017 - 10:48 AM

#5 User is offline Blue Blood 

Posted 16 October 2017 - 11:10 AM

  • Posts: 4362
  • Joined: 15-January 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Wiki edits:6
I remember seeing an advert for Sonic R on TV. From a front on perspective (as you can see in the replays), it showed Sonic run into a pool of water. When he emerged, he was Super Sonic. This was long before I got the game, and when I finally did get it, I was convinced that making Sonic go underwater would make him turn Super.

Don't know where I got this idea from.

#6 User is offline steveswede 

Posted 16 October 2017 - 11:17 AM

  • Posts: 4819
  • Joined: 13-April 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ask my hand
  • Project:Saerching for Google alternatives
  • Wiki edits:6
The best way to go down this imagination land is to watch someone play games (or media in general) while you fall asleep. The amount of creative shit I thought of only to find out it wasn't in the game makes the experience amazing and disappointing at the same time.

#7 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 16 October 2017 - 12:08 PM

  • Posts: 10926
  • Joined: 21-April 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10
Oh I have another one. I used to think the cartridge slot on the Saturn was a backwards compatibility slot, but I only thought it would work with Sonic & Knuckles (due to the different cartridge shape). I remember wanting a copy of Sonic & Knuckles so I could test this theory... and was disappointed when I found that it didn't work.

Sure wish the Saturn was backwards compatible, that'd of probably helped Sega a bit back in the day too.

#8 User is offline 360 

Posted 16 October 2017 - 01:58 PM

  • Daft Punk Overdrive
  • Posts: 1514
  • Joined: 22-September 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Project:Sonic Neon
I remember the UK newspapers hyping up Sonic's love interest around the time of Sonic CD (eventually revealing it was Amy Rose) and I swore to God I thought it was Tails and that Tails was female. It was the stupidest thing but keep in mind we're talking about 1994/5 here so I would have only been 8 or 9. When Amy was eventually revealed I was dumbfounded.

#9 User is offline Chainspike 

Posted 16 October 2017 - 02:15 PM

  • Stealing rings since 1994
  • Posts: 75
  • Joined: 22-February 17
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Death Egg Zone
  • Project:Sonic sprite animation?

View PostLordOfSquad, on 16 October 2017 - 10:47 AM, said:

View PostDigitalDuck, on 16 October 2017 - 10:18 AM, said:

View PostDark Sonic, on 16 October 2017 - 10:13 AM, said:

So yea, I'm just curious. Has anyone ever misremembered things that they could have sworn were true but turn out to be false? Like I could have sworn back in the day that Angel Island Zone in Sonic 3 had a 3rd act. I have no idea why I thought that but I thought it for the longest time, especially considering I didn't own Sonic 3 for a while so that thought lingered.


I'm sure I remember Mushroom Hill having a third act.


Young Me considered the green part of act 2 to be a third act back in the day. Probably thinking along the same lines.

Around the same time, I had a dream that I managed to beat the miniboss that burns up Angel Island and got to play through act 2 unburned. I was convinced for awhile that I actually did it, and spent like two years afterwards trying to pull it off to (obviously) no success.

~aah, to be young again~


#10 User is offline LordOfSquad 

Posted 16 October 2017 - 03:35 PM

  • Still waiting on Feel The Magic 3
  • Posts: 4517
  • Joined: 19-February 08
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Winnipeg, MB
  • Project:Tunes for Sonic Panic, among other things
  • Wiki edits:1

View PostDark Sonic, on 16 October 2017 - 12:08 PM, said:

Oh I have another one. I used to think the cartridge slot on the Saturn was a backwards compatibility slot, but I only thought it would work with Sonic & Knuckles (due to the different cartridge shape). I remember wanting a copy of Sonic & Knuckles so I could test this theory... and was disappointed when I found that it didn't work.

Sure wish the Saturn was backwards compatible, that'd of probably helped Sega a bit back in the day too.


lmao, this was also Young-Me, having a Saturn but not a Genesis, and thinking I struck the jackpot when I found a bunch of Genesis games at a thrift store. Pretty disappointing.

View PostChainspike, on 16 October 2017 - 02:15 PM, said:

View PostLordOfSquad, on 16 October 2017 - 10:47 AM, said:

View PostDigitalDuck, on 16 October 2017 - 10:18 AM, said:

View PostDark Sonic, on 16 October 2017 - 10:13 AM, said:

So yea, I'm just curious. Has anyone ever misremembered things that they could have sworn were true but turn out to be false? Like I could have sworn back in the day that Angel Island Zone in Sonic 3 had a 3rd act. I have no idea why I thought that but I thought it for the longest time, especially considering I didn't own Sonic 3 for a while so that thought lingered.


I'm sure I remember Mushroom Hill having a third act.


Young Me considered the green part of act 2 to be a third act back in the day. Probably thinking along the same lines.

Around the same time, I had a dream that I managed to beat the miniboss that burns up Angel Island and got to play through act 2 unburned. I was convinced for awhile that I actually did it, and spent like two years afterwards trying to pull it off to (obviously) no success.

~aah, to be young again~



DREAMS COME TRUE

#11 User is offline HedgeHayes 

Posted 16 October 2017 - 05:57 PM

  • Goodnik ambasador
  • Posts: 276
  • Joined: 01-June 17
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Bilbao, Spain
  • Project:Too many of them
This is not mine, but a friend just asked me about it last Saturday and I think it's the right time and place to ask about it:

Well, this friend asked me about some bug on a classic game that made it change so it looked hellish or like in Halloween, with an evil-looking Sonic. My answer was "Sonic.exe? That's some creepypasta stuff, not really from the games". He insisted saying he had seen actual images from it (not sure if screenshots or video recordings). My new answer was "I think there's at least a ROM hack that does something like that, but nothing in the actual games". He, again, said "No, I haven't seen it recently, I saw it in the classic days". My final answer was "Well, unless there's some kind of weird palette-swapping bug , I don't know what you're talking about" and explained him the Rankles bug.

So, did he remember it right or was his imagination lying to him all the time? Is there any kind of bug in classic games that makes the screen look so spooky? A really old hack that could have deceived his eyes? Is he just having too much imagination? I'd really want to know the answer and tell it to him.

#12 User is offline tokumaru 

Posted 16 October 2017 - 06:01 PM

  • Posts: 778
  • Joined: 17-June 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rio de Janeiro
  • Project:Platformer for the NES
I played Sonic 1 on the Master System a lot back in the 90's, but a couple of years ago I was surprised to hear from someone that you couldn't recollect rings in that game. Turns out you really can't, so I either never noticed it or completely forgot about it.

#13 User is offline Hukos 

Posted 16 October 2017 - 08:20 PM

  • Posts: 480
  • Joined: 11-May 12
  • Gender:Male

View PostLordOfSquad, on 16 October 2017 - 03:35 PM, said:

DREAMS COME TRUE


I think that same glitch happens during Launch Base 1 and Hidden Palace as well.

#14 User is offline Chainspike 

Posted 17 October 2017 - 10:45 AM

  • Stealing rings since 1994
  • Posts: 75
  • Joined: 22-February 17
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Death Egg Zone
  • Project:Sonic sprite animation?

View PostHedgeHayes, on 16 October 2017 - 05:57 PM, said:

This is not mine, but a friend just asked me about it last Saturday and I think it's the right time and place to ask about it:

Well, this friend asked me about some bug on a classic game that made it change so it looked hellish or like in Halloween, with an evil-looking Sonic. My answer was "Sonic.exe? That's some creepypasta stuff, not really from the games". He insisted saying he had seen actual images from it (not sure if screenshots or video recordings). My new answer was "I think there's at least a ROM hack that does something like that, but nothing in the actual games". He, again, said "No, I haven't seen it recently, I saw it in the classic days". My final answer was "Well, unless there's some kind of weird palette-swapping bug , I don't know what you're talking about" and explained him the Rankles bug.

So, did he remember it right or was his imagination lying to him all the time? Is there any kind of bug in classic games that makes the screen look so spooky? A really old hack that could have deceived his eyes? Is he just having too much imagination? I'd really want to know the answer and tell it to him.
I know some bugs that could pass as something like this. Which classic sonic game was it?

#15 User is offline HedgeHayes 

Posted 17 October 2017 - 12:14 PM

  • Goodnik ambasador
  • Posts: 276
  • Joined: 01-June 17
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Bilbao, Spain
  • Project:Too many of them

View PostChainspike, on 17 October 2017 - 10:45 AM, said:

View PostHedgeHayes, on 16 October 2017 - 05:57 PM, said:

This is not mine, but a friend just asked me about it last Saturday and I think it's the right time and place to ask about it:

Well, this friend asked me about some bug on a classic game that made it change so it looked hellish or like in Halloween, with an evil-looking Sonic. My answer was "Sonic.exe? That's some creepypasta stuff, not really from the games". He insisted saying he had seen actual images from it (not sure if screenshots or video recordings). My new answer was "I think there's at least a ROM hack that does something like that, but nothing in the actual games". He, again, said "No, I haven't seen it recently, I saw it in the classic days". My final answer was "Well, unless there's some kind of weird palette-swapping bug , I don't know what you're talking about" and explained him the Rankles bug.

So, did he remember it right or was his imagination lying to him all the time? Is there any kind of bug in classic games that makes the screen look so spooky? A really old hack that could have deceived his eyes? Is he just having too much imagination? I'd really want to know the answer and tell it to him.
I know some bugs that could pass as something like this. Which classic sonic game was it?

He didn't specify, he's not a real fan. I'd choose the one that makes Sonic look like Sonic.exe or the one someone labelled as a halloween bug.

  • 3 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
    Locked
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users