Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic 3D Blast MD, 2017 and beyond! - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 24 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic 3D Blast MD, 2017 and beyond! Split screen!Debug mode with lost crab!Director's Cut!

#226 User is offline Blue Spikeball 

Posted 21 October 2017 - 03:42 PM

Did people really find Sonic 3D challenging? When I played it as a kid, I found it to be the easiest of the MD Sonic games.

View Postroachdaripper, on 21 October 2017 - 02:16 PM, said:

• The timer being visible is a good thing, though I think that Burton should at least add in the Sonic suddenly suffering from cardiac arrest after 10 minutes of rolling around at the speed of sound, so that players who spend too long searching for flickies even with the new radar have something to fear.

No thanks. That would be a downgrade, and this director's cut is supposed to be an upgrade.

#227 User is offline roachdaripper 

Posted 21 October 2017 - 07:06 PM

• Source Engine Junkie
  • Project:Trying not to rage when porting SADX/SA2 models on PC.

View PostBlue Spikeball, on 21 October 2017 - 03:42 PM, said:

No thanks. That would be a downgrade, and this director's cut is supposed to be an upgrade.

That's subjective, personally I think that a player can easily avoid hitting that 10 minute marker. Every stage has at least one speed shoes monitor, so if you save it until after every badnik is dead and yet still have flickies to hunt well then the solution is clear.

#228 User is offline XCubed 

Posted 21 October 2017 - 07:08 PM

• Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center
  • Wiki edits:5
I love this. All of it. These changes honestly make me want to actually play what I felt was the worst game in the franchise.

#229 User is offline HedgeHayes 

Posted 21 October 2017 - 08:46 PM

• Goodnik ambasador
  • Project:Too many of them
Huh, late to that party, but, about the "lava flicky" thing, I don't remember it either. They pissed me off so much in volcano valley, I was blinded by the pissing. I probably thought about both the exclusive flicky and the bugged pallette possibilities at the time, but I didn't give a damn as long as they stayed with me instead of wandering somewhere.

About the changes, well, I don't know if they're for better or for worse. I always thought the game was ok but wasn't great, and that it was difficult to make it any better with its premise and its technical characteristics. I remember I was far more bothered by lack of plot connections withe the other mega drive games than by the way it was made, and knuckles being out of Angel island for no reason ( I was very zealous of those things back then). I suppose they're welcome if there's enough people enjoying them, the rest of us just ignoring the hack if we don't want to mess with it. That's quite fair, isn't it?

#230 User is offline Effexor 

Posted 21 October 2017 - 09:24 PM

• JUSTICE
  • Wiki edits:36
Honestly, I never had an issue with 3D Blast or the flickies, but the changes made to them is definitely nice. I just think that having all of the changes together is overkill. They're invincible so they don't get picked off individually as well as blocking bullets and whatnot, all of them now try to get back to Sonic instead of just the blue and purple ones AND you can't lose them unless you don't have any rings/a shield? I would have been fine with one of them being implimented, but having all three eliminates almost all challenge from this game and, given the new flicky finder mechanic and the icon bouncing if there's one running around somewhere, the changes involving the prevention of flicky loss seem uneeded.

#231 User is offline BlackHole 

Posted 22 October 2017 - 06:54 AM

• You're going to need MORE than help.
  • Project:Sprites for Cybernetic Outbreak
I got a bit curious about the water change and decided to compare it to the pre-change water.

Posted Image

It's a bit less vibrant, but I like it.

#232 User is offline Blue Blood 

Posted 22 October 2017 - 07:10 AM

• Wiki edits:6
The water actually looks much nicer now, I think. It's far less saturated. I still dislike the colour of Green Grove though. The new green for tiles are fine - I'm talking about the walls. They're so brown and ugly. The Saturn version looked infinitely better with its greyer, brighter stone. I would be interested in seeing if he could adjust the palette to something more palatable.

#233 User is offline tokumaru 

Posted 22 October 2017 - 09:50 AM

• Project:Platformer for the NES
The new water looks fine. Making the grays bluer also made all the metal stuff look nicer, IMO. I found some of the Flicky changes questionable, but Super Sonic is great! Repurposing the spinning animation for the transformation worked great!

#234 User is offline Hez 

Posted 22 October 2017 - 04:35 PM

• Asshole
  • Project:Your mother
  • Wiki edits:27
I am SO looking forward to this! Looks fantastic!

#235 User is offline Sir_mihael 

Posted 22 October 2017 - 05:11 PM

• DON'T TRUST THIS MAN
I thought Mania's release ended my personal hype train, but these new updates are starting to throw coal in the furnace. What will this man do next?

Posted Image

#236 User is offline Tadashi 

Posted 22 October 2017 - 05:21 PM

Sonic 3D was supposed to be extremely colorful and oversaturated to a point. So yeah, the water looks out of place, and the grey objects turning grey blue, like the monitors and eggmobile is just weird. All of this just for the ability to play as Super Sonic in Green Grove which is completely impossible without cheating? Talk about overkill.

#237 User is offline Epsilonsama 

Posted 22 October 2017 - 10:53 PM

• THE FASTEST TAPE ALIVE!
  • Wiki edits:7

View PostTadashi, on 22 October 2017 - 05:21 PM, said:

Sonic 3D was supposed to be extremely colorful and oversaturated to a point. So yeah, the water looks out of place, and the grey objects turning grey blue, like the monitors and eggmobile is just weird. All of this just for the ability to play as Super Sonic in Green Grove which is completely impossible without cheating? Talk about overkill.

Well you don't want to be running on Piss Grove Zone now would you? Honestly thought I'm interested what other changes he might do to the game. Having access to the source code means he can do almost anything.

#238 User is offline tokumaru 

Posted 23 October 2017 - 03:02 AM

• Project:Platformer for the NES

View PostTadashi, on 22 October 2017 - 05:21 PM, said:

grey objects turning grey blue, like the monitors and eggmobile is just weird.

I happen to really like them this way, specially the Eggmobile! Sonic 3&K also had bluish rocks and metal objects, and those looked great too.

So yeah, I don't even consider these color changes a sacrifice, everything looks fine and Sonic can go super, I don't see anything wrong.

The green tiles on the floor, though... I'm still trying to get used to those, but I do question the decision of making this change.

#239 User is offline Granville 

Posted 23 October 2017 - 04:27 AM

This is quite a neat project, and I'm loving this guy's youtube channel. While I don't consider Sonic 3D Blast to be a great game, I've always found myself strangely drawn to it. There is something charming about it. The visual style may have something to do with it. I generally dislike CGI animation, but I do enjoy the visual styles in the DKC trilogy (really any of Rareware's 90s SGI renders), Mario RPG and Sonic 3D Blast.

I'm not good at sprite editing or pixel art, but I do enjoy playing around with it sometimes. I decided to fiddle with one of the Sonic sprites to see if I could make him look more physically like Super Sonic beyond a golden palette. I'm not qualified or up to the task to actually be a sprite artist, nor did I know what the palette needed to be. So here's a little Mania-esque blue Super Sonic mockup sprite.
Posted Image
This post has been edited by Granville: 23 October 2017 - 04:42 AM

#240 User is offline Hez 

Posted 24 October 2017 - 10:24 AM

• Asshole
  • Project:Your mother
  • Wiki edits:27
I'd be more interested myself if he'd be interested in art submissions? Hell...if he was super interested, we could legit have a Sonic 3d Blast 2.

• 24 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users