Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC) - WARNING, SPOILERS - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Jump to content

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 694 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • 678
  • 679
  • 680
  • 681
  • 682
  • Last ►
    Locked
    Locked Forum

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC) - WARNING, SPOILERS Developed by Christian Whitehead, Headcannon and PagodaWest

#10186 User is offline dot.kh 

Posted 21 October 2017 - 01:25 PM

  • & Knackles
  • Posts: 77
  • Joined: 25-November 14
  • Gender:Male
Here's something super cool and I wonder if this is an actual thing: Spent the day in the city and spotted at least 3 or 4 kids with Mania Sonic-blue hair. Coincidence or self fulfilling thinking?

#10187 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 21 October 2017 - 02:49 PM

  • Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Posts: 16567
  • Joined: 12-January 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Berkshire, England
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204

View Postjubbalub, on 20 October 2017 - 10:35 PM, said:



Interesting ending

Someone didn't buy the LP. =P All of the tracks on the album have actual endings rather than fadeouts, this is one of them.

#10188 User is offline Yeow 

Posted 21 October 2017 - 03:55 PM

  • Official moneylender for the Coalition of Muslim Drug Dealers
  • Posts: 904
  • Joined: 18-November 11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sega of Darkest Peru
  • Project:college courses and holding crusades against anime trash
Mania charted at #8 the previous week on the Switch eShop.

And then charted at #3 this week.

#10189 User is offline Jason 

Posted 21 October 2017 - 04:51 PM

  • *Results not lab tested.
  • Posts: 1859
  • Joined: 20-October 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Columbus, OH
So, like always, Sonic does best on Nintendo platforms. Shame that Mania seems to have fallen off on every other chart, though.

By the way, after talking with Nvidia tech support, seems it was some 3D driver confusion that was causing the color issue. Had to delete them to get the colors working again.
This post has been edited by Jason: 21 October 2017 - 04:55 PM

#10190 User is offline HedgeHayes 

Posted 21 October 2017 - 08:17 PM

  • Goodnik ambasador
  • Posts: 275
  • Joined: 01-June 17
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Bilbao, Spain
  • Project:Too many of them

View PostRetroman, on 20 October 2017 - 08:03 PM, said:

I really suck at the special stages :v: especially that 4th stage which I failed 3 times.

It's challenging, and I did rage. A lot.

I still feel the 4th Emerald is the hardest one. The 5th one compels you to master all the tricks possible on a special stage, so it may look harder at first, but I still sweat sometimes when getting the 4th. Either way, there's an huge downfall in the sensation of difficulty once you master the 5th emerald, and you'll probably get all the emeralds on first try after you get all the emeralds for the first time, or have a minimal number of retries at the very least.

#10191 User is offline Hanging Waters 

Posted 22 October 2017 - 10:59 PM

  • Posts: 29
  • Joined: 01-September 12
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Hampshire
So has anyone with the vinyl album figured out what that secret message is yet? Tom Fry hinted in his tweet that it would say something interesting.
I doubt it's any kind of teaser or a confirmation of a Mania 2 or something, but it'd be interesting to know just for the heck of it.

#10192 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 23 October 2017 - 07:14 AM

  • Posts: 10524
  • Joined: 11-January 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Spain
  • Wiki edits:18
I hope it's not something about Sonic Forces. =P

#10193 User is offline minichapman 

Posted 23 October 2017 - 07:18 AM

  • I'd like to think I'll be imparting words of wisdom, but the odds are agains
  • Posts: 625
  • Joined: 03-April 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Project:Staying sane.
  • Wiki edits:1

View PostHanging Waters, on 22 October 2017 - 10:59 PM, said:

So has anyone with the vinyl album figured out what that secret message is yet? Tom Fry hinted in his tweet that it would say something interesting.
I doubt it's any kind of teaser or a confirmation of a Mania 2 or something, but it'd be interesting to know just for the heck of it.


It's a message on the inner groove/wax which is “By The Mania” on side one and “For the Mania” on side two. Leaving etched messages on records is actually a common practise. Most of the time it's usually just a matrix or pressing number but sometimes it includes a message too.

#10194 User is offline Hanging Waters 

Posted 23 October 2017 - 07:53 AM

  • Posts: 29
  • Joined: 01-September 12
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Hampshire

View Postminichapman, on 23 October 2017 - 07:18 AM, said:

View PostHanging Waters, on 22 October 2017 - 10:59 PM, said:

So has anyone with the vinyl album figured out what that secret message is yet? Tom Fry hinted in his tweet that it would say something interesting.
I doubt it's any kind of teaser or a confirmation of a Mania 2 or something, but it'd be interesting to know just for the heck of it.


It's a message on the inner groove/wax which is “By The Mania” on side one and “For the Mania” on side two. Leaving etched messages on records is actually a common practise. Most of the time it's usually just a matrix or pressing number but sometimes it includes a message too.

Bummer. :/ I guess it's a neat addition, glad they snuck it in there.

#10195 User is offline Dissent 

Posted 23 October 2017 - 09:23 AM

  • Posts: 370
  • Joined: 05-December 07
  • Gender:Male
So I guess we're going to be getting more classic Sonic thanks to Mania essentially dumbfounding Nakamura.

#10196 User is offline Ashram 

Posted 23 October 2017 - 10:01 AM

  • Posts: 2206
  • Joined: 22-February 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California
  • Wiki edits:13
The fact that Nakamura is "dumbfounded" at the idea of a very well-made classic-style Sonic game, something fans have been asking for for years, and developed by a talented company comprised of major Sonic fans, selling extremely well is what's wrong with this picture

#10197 User is offline big smile 

Posted 23 October 2017 - 10:31 AM

  • Posts: 444
  • Joined: 01-July 05
  • Gender:Male

View PostAshram, on 23 October 2017 - 10:01 AM, said:

The fact that Nakamura is "dumbfounded" at the idea of a very well-made classic-style Sonic game, something fans have been asking for for years, and developed by a talented company comprised of major Sonic fans, selling extremely well is what's wrong with this picture


It's nothing new: In previous interviews about Mania, Iizuka wrote off the love for classic Sonic as a niche. He also said that a classic Sonic game would have to come from outside Sonic Team, as they don't know how to make such games anymore.

#10198 User is offline Blue Spikeball 

Posted 23 October 2017 - 10:51 AM

  • Posts: 212
  • Joined: 29-October 16
  • Gender:Male

View PostDissent, on 23 October 2017 - 09:23 AM, said:


View PostAshram, on 23 October 2017 - 10:01 AM, said:

The fact that Nakamura is "dumbfounded" at the idea of a very well-made classic-style Sonic game, something fans have been asking for for years, and developed by a talented company comprised of major Sonic fans, selling extremely well is what's wrong with this picture

Where are you getting this "dumbfounded Nakamura" thing from? Because he claims in the linked interview that he wasn't surprised by Mania's success. Does that outright contradict previous statements by him or something?
This post has been edited by Blue Spikeball: 23 October 2017 - 10:57 AM

#10199 User is offline Chimera 

Posted 23 October 2017 - 11:12 AM

  • I'm not a furry.
  • Posts: 1228
  • Joined: 04-October 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:TOO MANY. BUT ONE LESS.
  • Wiki edits:5
It says Iizuka-San was involved in the approval process and gave directions on how to make the games "feel like the classics." I wonder how involved he was in the design process? Or how much he had control/oversight with the level design process?

I ask because if he's actually still good at level design I'd much prefer him have control over that than the series as a whole lmao

#10200 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 23 October 2017 - 12:06 PM

  • Posts: 10921
  • Joined: 21-April 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10
Hey here's a standout quote from that article:

Quote

Shun Nakamura: It was very interesting for me to see Sonic Mania come out, get very high scores and have people praise the game. From the team's perspective, we're still going to be making 3D games for the audience that likes that style of Sonic - when we see the reactions that Mania got, the entire team sat down and thought it was really interesting, and we should break down what people liked about Mania, and in the future - when we build our 3D games - see what essence we can take from Sonic Mania and put into a 3D world, to give people what they're looking for and that they've found in Sonic Mania.


*Clap, clap, clap* Took ya that long to figure out that one huh? Please, please do this it'll be better for everyone. However I hope your selling points from Mania aren't "Classic Sonic + levels from Sonic 1 - S&K" because that'd be missing the point.
This post has been edited by Dark Sonic: 23 October 2017 - 12:07 PM

  • 694 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • 678
  • 679
  • 680
  • 681
  • 682
  • Last ►
    Locked
    Locked Forum

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users