Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: New article by Retro gamer on the making of Sonic Adventure - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 6 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

New article by Retro gamer on the making of Sonic Adventure

#1 User is offline Laughingcow 

Posted 30 December 2018 - 08:27 PM

Takashi Iizuka and Kazuyuki Hoshino interviewed
https://www.pressrea...281659666135596

Enjoy
This post has been edited by Laughingcow: 30 December 2018 - 08:28 PM

#2 User is offline OrtengeSoda 

Posted 30 December 2018 - 09:21 PM

The most interesting part of the article is where it talks about Windy Valley for a short bit. Turns out Iizuka was the one behind the change since the schedule was so tight and apparently he says he redesigned it himself which is pretty interesting. Not sure if that has been confirmed before.

#3 User is offline Casshern 

Posted 30 December 2018 - 10:33 PM

Lol at that last comment of doing a remake. Honestly, with the success of the Spyro and Crash remakes I wouldn't be surprised if they do end up doing one.

Though it's a long shot and it's probably not going to happen till 2098.

#4 User is offline MykonosFan 

Posted 30 December 2018 - 11:26 PM

• MODE CHANGE.
  • Wiki edits:178
Of all the things SEGA has tried, a straight-up total remake is the one trick in the book they haven't turned to yet for Sonic. They have seen success doing it for Yakuza, one of their other major franchises at the moment. I don't know if I trust them to do it right, but I don't doubt they'll try it at some point. The Adventure games seem like perfect candidates too. Guess we'll see what the future holds?

#5 User is offline 360 

Posted 30 December 2018 - 11:48 PM

• Light Vision Overdrive
  • Project:Sonic Neon
Though the comment was made in jest I honestly wouldn't put Adventure remakes past them. Adventure 1 was hugely amplified by arriving with the Dreamcast's launch in the US whilst Adventure 2 is one of the best selling games on the GameCube having even outsold many of Nintendo's efforts on that console and is also responsible for much of Sonic's popularity, momentum and relevance at the dawn of this century. I think with Forces failing quite spectacularly via every conceivable metric and 3D Sonic naturally going back to square one within the confines of Sonic Team something Adventure-related whether it be a remake or even a sequel could be on the horizon. It's like Square with the Final Fantasy 7 Remake. "We're fucked now - so let's go with the nuclear option."

It is more logical and likely we'll get another "let's reinvent the wheel" game like Colours/Lost World - but they could very well just say fuck it and reboot Adventure. And it will be glorious.
This post has been edited by 360: 30 December 2018 - 11:52 PM

#6 User is offline SuperSnoopy 

Posted 31 December 2018 - 05:01 AM

• I prefer Sonic Advance to Sonic 2
  • Project:Learning how to fucking draw
Yeah count me in for a Sonic Adventure remake. I really want to love this game, but it aged so poorly compared to Adventure 2. A remake to iron out the kinks would be awesome.

#7 User is offline Ayu Tsukimiya 

Posted 31 December 2018 - 05:15 AM

• UGUU~
Iizuka knows better than to make those kinds of comments in a joking manner, right? Maybe he really is seriously considering remaking SA1/2.

#8 User is offline SuperSnoopy 

Posted 31 December 2018 - 05:34 AM

• I prefer Sonic Advance to Sonic 2
  • Project:Learning how to fucking draw
I mean he did say he was interested in making Adventure 3 back at the 25th anniversary party. Who know, maybe it's been on his mind for a while.

#9 User is offline XRick 

Posted 31 December 2018 - 06:12 AM

• Wiki edits:2
He could pretty much make a soft reboot of the series as a whole, starting with a new take on the Classics (cementing at once the whole Classic/Modern Worlds ideology), and giving new ground for said potential remake of SA1, possibly SA2 as well, and then moving on to that potential SA3.
This post has been edited by XRick: 31 December 2018 - 06:13 AM

#10 User is offline Laughingcow 

Posted 31 December 2018 - 10:28 AM

Yep, I knew that nowhere comment from Iizuka would get people talking ReMKEEE which would be a bad idea. Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 are both on steam, playable by anyone with even a crap computer. There's no point remaking something that is legally readily available.

#11 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 31 December 2018 - 11:39 AM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
Kudos to the writer, he knows what he's talking about. =P

#12 User is offline NiktheGreek 

Posted 31 December 2018 - 12:01 PM

• Grumpy old bastard
  • Project:Writing for the best video game magazine in the world
  • Wiki edits:41
I've always dreamed of the day my work would be recognised by Sonic Retro! :v: Glad you guys liked it. Obviously lots of information you guys will already know, but I was pleased to learn about Iizuka's role in redeveloping Windy Valley.

If you enjoyed the feature, I'd appreciate it if you guys would consider buying a copy of the magazine - I want this issue to sell well so that we can do more Dreamcast-related covers, and frankly Pressreader views don't do anything for us at all (I don't even know if we make any money off them). It should be in WHSmith and the usual places in the UK, but I'll get a link up when it's available on our website.

#13 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 31 December 2018 - 03:18 PM

• Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339

View PostLaughingcow, on 31 December 2018 - 10:28 AM, said:

Yep, I knew that nowhere comment from Iizuka would get people talking ReMKEEE which would be a bad idea. Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 are both on steam, playable by anyone with even a crap computer. There's no point remaking something that is legally readily available.

I distinctly remember being totally unable to play the SADX port on my computer when it first released, and the computer I got after that couldn't run SA2 at full speed. My current computer plays it just fine, but the system requirements on both games is way higher than it has any right to be, and the quality of the ports in general is not good (SADX fares worse than SA2, but they both have problems).

#14 User is offline Shaddy the guy 

Posted 31 December 2018 - 05:07 PM

• Zaphod's just some guy, you know?
  • Project:Completely remaking my fanedit because I messed up

View PostLaughingcow, on 31 December 2018 - 10:28 AM, said:

Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 are both on steam, playable by anyone with even a crap computer. There's no point remaking something that is legally readily available.

Yeah there is though? The point of a remake extends way beyond mere availability, otherwise everything would just get re-released all the time.

#15 User is offline Laughingcow 

Posted 31 December 2018 - 06:05 PM

Fine, I'll be the bad guy.

A Sonic Adventure/Adventure 2 remake would be a bad idea because you'd be getting it from MODERN SONIC TEAM. Remember Sonic Generations? Remember what they made after that? Remember how Sonic Forces was suppose to pander to the Adventure crowd? Remember when Modern Sonic Team tried making a Classic Sonic game which ultimately tainted the numbered Sonic games? You're just setting yourselves up for another cycle of abuse from a dev team that may not even exist as anything more than a name. On top of that, Iizuka sees all 3d Sonic games (From Adventure to Forces) as "Forward Moving 3d Sonic". A remake of Adventure in that mindset is doomed to failure.

You're thinking Sonic Adventure with a facelift and tighter controls and more content when you're more likely to get Secret of Mana 2018.
https://store.steamp...Secret_of_Mana/

• 6 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users