Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Vector In Sonic 1 - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Loading News Feed...

Vector In Sonic 1 'FIND DA COMPUTER ROOM!!!'

#16 User is offline BlazeHedgehog 

Posted 24 December 2010 - 04:48 PM

• A "Community Enigma"?
  • Wiki edits:51

And good times were had by all.

#17 User is offline E-122-Psi 

Posted 24 December 2010 - 08:09 PM

• Wiki edits:41
QUOTE (OKei @ Dec 24 2010, 03:07 PM)
I wanted to do a video playthrough of Sonic 1 for my PEMNAS series, but I hated the idea of posting stuff that didn't feature anything that would totally stand out in my videos.

I now have something. specialed.png When can we expect the next revision, E-122-Psi?

Glad I could find something new for you. :D

I hope to find a way to get the diag dash working, as well as a few fixes (the good ending sprites got f***ed up for some reason). I'll also hopefully get a customized title screen working like I did for Sally and Amy. This may take anywhere between a couple weeks or a couple months (especially being Christmas) though if too many problems occur with one point I'll upload what I have at a more frequent pace.

QUOTE (nineko @ Dec 24 2010, 02:58 PM)
I've yet to give this a complete playthrough, so far I played only Final Zone to retrieve a cleaner screenshot for the wiki v.png

Still, in that one zone, I found one of the palette bugs you mentioned:

Speaking of wiki, here it is: Vector the Crocodile in Sonic the Hedgehog. It's a stub as my usual, my main concern is to upload optimised screenshots and zip files, then someone else can take care of the English v.png

Whoa, thanx for the page update. :D

Probably just as well, I keep screwing up uploading onto the wiki.
This post has been edited by E-122-Psi: 24 December 2010 - 08:42 PM

#18 User is online JaxTH 

Posted 24 December 2010 - 08:48 PM

• Pudding Deity
  • Project:Jack shit.
  • Wiki edits:2
QUOTE (BlazeHedgehog @ Dec 24 2010, 01:48 PM)

This picture needs to spread.

#19 User is offline OKei 

Posted 24 December 2010 - 10:18 PM

• OKeijiDragon
  • Project:Learning how to wash my face.
  • Wiki edits:11
QUOTE (JaxTH @ Dec 24 2010, 05:48 PM)
QUOTE (BlazeHedgehog @ Dec 24 2010, 01:48 PM)

This picture needs to spread.

Leave it to me.

I'll help spread it too.

#20 User is offline bolt7 

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:31 PM

A certain Vector-loving friend of mine very much appreciates this hack, so you have his thanks and mine!

I wonder if it's possible to totally port the Chaotix mechanics over to the older games... I can imagine it'd probably be a programming ball ache though. Maybe it'd make more sense to port the levels over from MD Sonic titles to Chaotix. Maybe these are silly ideas all together. v.png

#21 User is offline MarkeyJester 

Posted 28 December 2010 - 02:00 PM

• Wiki edits:16
QUOTE (bolt7 @ Dec 27 2010, 11:31 PM)
Maybe it'd make more sense to port the levels over from MD Sonic titles to Chaotix. Maybe these are silly ideas all together. :v:

Well it's been done before with Sonic Crackers which in a sense is a prototype of Chaotix, so why not? =P

Anyways, I'd be more interested in seeing the older games physics being ported to Chaotix/Crackers rather than the other way around, though an acception to this hack would be cool...

#22 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 28 December 2010 - 02:47 PM

• 2 warps to Neptune
  • Project:Blog Squirrel
  • Wiki edits:20,569
QUOTE (E-122-Psi @ Dec 24 2010, 09:38 AM)
it's hard to quite calculate the stats of the players in Chaotix solo due to the ring co-op physics.

The lobby has solo sections... though granted it doesn't have any loops or ramps. Also it's possible to lose your partner for a bit if you start running out of rings.

In fact, I'm surprised nobody has made a hack of Knuckles' Chaotix without the co-op stuff. I mean we have Sonic 3D without flickies.

#23 User is offline The Game Collector 

Posted 28 December 2010 - 03:48 PM

• Project:helping a local rock band; still a big Sonic & video game fan
I think it's awesome how every once in a while a new character gets their chance at giving Sonic 1 a unique experience with their special moves. Now that Vector who was deemed probably the hardest good guy to fit into Sonic 1 has a hack, it gives me more hope that I'll see a hack of my favorite character playable in a classic Sonic game one day.

One interesting thing I was thinking of questioning though is that maybe it would be easy to swap Nack and Knuckles with Sonic and Tails in Sonic Triple trouble so that most of the sprite artwork is already done. I would laugh if Sonic took Knuckles' place and Tails took Nack's place due to their similar shapes. The plot of Triple Trouble in reverse... I haven't seen much info on 8-bit hacking though. That would be a question for Doc Eggfan or someone like that with experience in hacking SMS & Game Gear.

#24 User is offline Thousand Pancake 

Posted 28 December 2010 - 04:55 PM

• Being a food you put milk on and then eat in the morning
QUOTE (Black Squirrel @ Dec 28 2010, 02:47 PM)
QUOTE (E-122-Psi @ Dec 24 2010, 09:38 AM)
it's hard to quite calculate the stats of the players in Chaotix solo due to the ring co-op physics.

The lobby has solo sections... though granted it doesn't have any loops or ramps. Also it's possible to lose your partner for a bit if you start running out of rings.

In fact, I'm surprised nobody has made a hack of Knuckles' Chaotix without the co-op stuff. I mean we have Sonic 3D without flickies.
I think that nobody who wants to is experienced enough with 32X programming to make it happen.

#25 User is offline bolt7 

Posted 28 December 2010 - 05:28 PM

Well it's been done before with Sonic Crackers which in a sense is a prototype of Chaotix, so why not? =P

Awesome! I'd never seen that before- I guess it makes more sense to use Crackers as already it has Sonic & Tails included and that it's a much smaller game (though still has most of the gameplay mechanics and such programmed in.)

Would certainly be interesting! I can imagine a lot of the game would be quite difficult without a partner (as obviously it was designed with two characters in mind.) Maybe it's just the way I play Chaotix, but at some points if I couldn't use the 'Hold' thing with one character while spin-dashing with the other to gain speed, the stage would be impossible to complete. =X

#26 User is offline Ravenfreak 

Posted 28 December 2010 - 05:34 PM

• Beast Boy Stahp
  • Project:Mighty No. 9 Universe,various hacking projects
  • Wiki edits:112
You don't need to much knowledge of how the 32X works, you just need knowledge of 68K asm and a Knux Chaotix disassembly. Awesome hack btw Psi, perhaps there'll be a Espio in Sonic 1 hack in the future? ^_^
This post has been edited by Ravenfreak: 28 December 2010 - 06:09 PM

#27 User is offline nineko 

Posted 28 December 2010 - 07:14 PM

• I am the Holy Cat
  • Project:I... don't even know anymore :U
  • Wiki edits:5,251
QUOTE (Ravenfreak @ Dec 28 2010, 11:34 PM)
perhaps there'll be a Espio in Sonic 1 hack in the future? ^_^
You mean this?

#28 User is offline E-122-Psi 

Posted 28 December 2010 - 08:15 PM

• Wiki edits:41
Which, out of the existing 2D playable roster, leaves only Charmy, Heavy and Bomb remaining for the Sonic 1 treatment (I might try immitating Charmy's basic mechanics in Sonic 1 later on, I already have programming skills to have characters dash while on the ground thanks to Amy In Sonic 1). I also have a Cream sprite sheet planned which may be put into use for such a project.

QUOTE (The Game Collector @ Dec 28 2010, 03:48 PM)
I think it's awesome how every once in a while a new character gets their chance at giving Sonic 1 a unique experience with their special moves. Now that Vector who was deemed probably the hardest good guy to fit into Sonic 1 has a hack, it gives me more hope that I'll see a hack of my favorite character playable in a classic Sonic game one day.

One interesting thing I was thinking of questioning though is that maybe it would be easy to swap Nack and Knuckles with Sonic and Tails in Sonic Triple trouble so that most of the sprite artwork is already done. I would laugh if Sonic took Knuckles' place and Tails took Nack's place due to their similar shapes. The plot of Triple Trouble in reverse... I haven't seen much info on 8-bit hacking though. That would be a question for Doc Eggfan or someone like that with experience in hacking SMS & Game Gear.

The basic idea I'm going for with all these really, placing numerous characters into a classic game to practice with unique gameplay. Sorta like giving characters a chance to show their potential (still working on giving Sally an impressive gameplay mechanic). :D

And which character may this be?

It's a nice enough idea (along with maybe Tails playable in 8 bit Sonic 2, I'd love to see that) but right now like you said, resources and knowledge of 8 bit hacking is more limited, in comparison to Genesis hacking which is almost pick up and play with programs like SonED and MapED.

About Chaotix porting, I have zero knowledge how to do so, I'm just trying to emulate the basic stats with Sonic 1's programming. I also felt that Chaotix was a much clunkier game in terms of physics so edits perhaps should be kept accordingly (how does Knuckles compare in this and the Genesis games for example?). What is competant in Chaotix is different to what is in another title like 1 or 2 after all.
This post has been edited by E-122-Psi: 28 December 2010 - 08:20 PM

#29 User is offline The Game Collector 

Posted 28 December 2010 - 08:35 PM

• Project:helping a local rock band; still a big Sonic & video game fan
QUOTE (E-122-Psi @ Dec 29 2010, 02:15 AM)
Which, out of the existing 2D playable roster, leaves only Charmy, Heavy and Bomb remaining for the Sonic 1 treatment (I might try immitating Charmy's basic mechanics in Sonic 1 later on, I already have programming skills to have characters dash while on the ground thanks to Amy In Sonic 1). I also have a Cream sprite sheet planned which may be put into use for such a project.

QUOTE (The Game Collector @ Dec 28 2010, 03:48 PM)

And which character may this be?

I was going for Nack the Weasel aka Fang. I attempted to hack Sonic 1 and copy a custom sprite sheet pixel by pixel from a website I found after changing Sonic's palette to match his, but I failed after numerous attempts. Whenever I saved my work in Sonik Sprite I kept getting a gray box where the character's head is supposed to be and it wouldn't let me change it and would have to start over from scratch. I never could get it to work. I figured if I could at least get the basic sprites down first to match the basic actions, then I could worry about special moves and matching sprites for them later. He's not part of Robotnik's team and wants the emeralds for himself so it doesn't really contradict any storyline canon as long as he's not teaming up with anyone.

#30 User is offline shihe 

Posted 28 December 2010 - 09:16 PM

This is probably my favorite Sonic 1 hack so far. E-122-Psi, you have outdone yourself once again. Your hacks are a bliss to play.

Just today, I tried speedrunning some levels with several different character hacks, and Vector always comes in Top 3.
He's A BEAST in Labyrinth Zone! Which is awesome because he's an alligator after all! Which I should mention... It's the first time I've defeated Robotnik in Labyrinth Zone 3 before he makes it to the top!

I can't wait to see what you'll come up with next. I see you have an interest in Charmy. Perhaps to balance him out a bit, you could make him sloooow in water. (Bees hate water after all).

I'll also eagerly await your Vector in Sonic 2 version if you ever decide to do it. (... and a Cream hack if you someday decide to make one...huge Cream supporter right here)

Don't know what else to say. You've given so much life back to Sonic 1 with your character hacks, and Vector is my favorite. Amy comes 2nd.
There's nothing like rolling off a platform, and immediately cancelling momentum by double jumping to the gound to start a new spindash. That's just sick! :D
This post has been edited by shihe: 28 December 2010 - 09:33 PM

• 7 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users