Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Battle Racers Boardgame Kickstarter - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Sonic Battle Racers Boardgame Kickstarter

#31 User is online JaxTH 

Posted 17 March 2018 - 11:21 PM

• Pudding Deity
  • Project:Jack shit.
  • Wiki edits:2

View PostHedgeHayes, on 17 March 2018 - 08:42 PM, said:

Double posting because Sonic Mania Plus reminded me of something I didn't know the last time I posted, and you may want to know it as well if you haven't yet:

Developers have licenses for classic characters, not just for the modern ones included on the kickstarter. Just saying.

So what you're saying is...Ray the Flying Squirrel figure.

#32 User is offline HedgeHayes 

Posted 18 March 2018 - 07:59 PM

• Project:Too many of them
Not sure, but quite possible considering it would be Mania merchandise. Infinite was there on the kickstarter, so I suppose hard.boiled heavies and the arcade couple are bound to be available someday; on the other hand, there's been no news about Storm, so who knows which specific characters are licensed.

#33 User is offline MartiusR 

Posted 27 March 2018 - 02:12 AM

It's officialy confirmed - Storm will be included as well:
https://www.kickstar..._project_update

I'm rather neutral about Babylon Rogues, but still - it would feel a bit incomplete to have only two out of three, so it's good that now we've got a complete set.

Storm will be included for free for all who choose "Hyper" pledge (or those who will declared "Everything" in Late Pledge option, which will start "soon").

They left possibility to buy Storm separately, but... I highly doubt that there will be much of interest due to price - 15$ (sic!).
This post has been edited by MartiusR: 27 March 2018 - 02:18 AM

#34 User is offline HedgeHayes 

Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:53 AM

That's great news for me, but I don't get why is Storm more expensive than the other big characters, like Omega or Vector. If it's because that will be their price at stores, I'm scared of how much will any non-KS content cost. It's not more expensive than other games with miniatures, though.

They've also made a redesign for some characters in order to make them more dynamic, but I liked the first design most in some cases, and, in Eggman's case, it's even less dynamic. Oil Ocen modules were redesigned as well to look more like, well, Oil Ocean, and I'm grateful for it. They're redesigning all the board modules, not just those, and they've promised weekly updates from now on, so we'll probably see more changes like this one in the upcoming months.

#35 User is offline MartiusR 

Posted 18 April 2018 - 02:57 AM

View PostHedgeHayes, on 27 March 2018 - 08:53 AM, said:

They've also made a redesign for some characters in order to make them more dynamic, but I liked the first design most in some cases, and, in Eggman's case, it's even less dynamic. Oil Ocen modules were redesigned as well to look more like, well, Oil Ocean, and I'm grateful for it. They're redesigning all the board modules, not just those, and they've promised weekly updates from now on, so we'll probably see more changes like this one in the upcoming months.

I totally agree, the last project of Robotnik's figure is showing "barely moving" pose. Amy looks like she dropped something by accident. I like new Tails' design though, have hope that it'll be the final one. And while board's graphics is (at least for me) not so important as figure's design, it's nice to see that it has this "classic vibe".

New update, but not too much, it's rather about another board re-design, launch of "pledge manager" in May, plus incoming Kickstarter survey:
https://www.kickstar...0/posts/2147619
This post has been edited by MartiusR: 18 April 2018 - 02:58 AM

#36 User is offline winterhell 

Posted 18 April 2018 - 04:09 AM

Are any of you guys excited to play this? Just curious.

#37 User is offline HedgeHayes 

Posted 18 April 2018 - 07:26 AM

Of course, I'm both an enthusiastic of Sonic and of board games, and the product itself looks good enough, plus having the plethora of things we get at once through KS makes it a great bundle since day one. On the other hand, part of my interest is the miniature collection itself, which doesn't really need the game to be played, and the game looks good but I know it won't be great, just good enough for the purchase. I hope I can play it with my cousins like we did with the 16-bit games, and I also want a friend's son to try it, since it looks like a good game to be played together by children and grown-ups. That sums up all my excitement and expectatives about it, I think.
This post has been edited by HedgeHayes: 18 April 2018 - 07:29 AM

#38 User is offline Blue Blood 

Posted 18 April 2018 - 08:23 AM

• Wiki edits:6
Honestly? Not particularly. I doubt I'll ever get much of an opportunity to play it. But for the sale of collection it's a nice and interesting product, so that's what justifies it for me.

#39 User is offline HedgeHayes 

Posted 02 May 2018 - 07:39 PM

Another update, basically showing redesigns of a couple of board module packs. They look good, but something interesting about them is that they were also renamed. Ok, it doesn't sound that great, but I'll explain:

- Metal Sonic boss racer used to come with the "Mechanical madness" board pack. They fixed that and is now named "Metallic Madness", which is good, but...

- They also redesigned and renamed the board pack coming with Infinite boss racer, which used to be called "Metropolis". That was quite right, since Forces has a location with that name, and it was also a level in a classic game, but that's now history: Studiopolis is the new name, and also the new design for the modules. While bumper-looking springs fit better in a level like that, having Infinite lurking a Mania level takes the crossover from the last year to a new tier. We already had Shadow in Oil Ocean, I guess.

Either way, all the redesigned boards look great so far, and there's a lot from the basic box they haven't revealed, but I wouldn't be too optimistic about that since all basic board modules could be Green Hill themed, or even have more than one copy of some if not all of them.

The rest of this and other recent updates are info on the manufacturing process, so at least we know they're working hard to bring us the games on the date they gave us, which happens to be before the end of the year. I don't know many KS projects being this quick and dilligent with their backers, specially if you compare it with Super Dungeon Legends. Thumbs up for Shinobi7. :thumbsup:

#40 User is offline MartiusR 

Posted 10 May 2018 - 04:37 AM

View Postwinterhell, on 18 April 2018 - 04:09 AM, said:

Are any of you guys excited to play this? Just curious.

At this moment I'm decided to try - at least a couple of times. I like competetive board games (especially such as Neuroshima Hex), I like the fact that they've completely resigned from using dice in this game. But on the other hand I will probably have problem with finding someone to play with, since I'm usually playing with my siblings, and they generally don't like anything Sonic-related :P

On the other hand - I consider figures included as quite nice trophy "just to have", and there is always this 1P mode.

Funny thing though, this will be probably the last "sonic game" (or rather game with Sonic) I'm going to play. After disappointment with Mania and complete lack of interest in Forces I simply don't feel that I'm interested in series anymore(I've recently lost interest even in fan-made games). Or franchise anymore, feel free to use there adequate word.

#41 User is offline HedgeHayes 

Posted 10 May 2018 - 12:33 PM

Funnier thing: at this moment, all the zones represented in this game are also present in Mania.
I understand how do you feel, since I wasn't as impressed with Mania as others were, but I can't get why are you so disappointed. I won't be asking though, since that's a different topic and I kind of remember you sharing your impressions about it in said topic.

#42 User is offline MartiusR 

Posted 11 May 2018 - 04:35 AM

View PostHedgeHayes, on 10 May 2018 - 12:33 PM, said:

Funnier thing: at this moment, all the zones represented in this game are also present in Mania.
I understand how do you feel, since I wasn't as impressed with Mania as others were, but I can't get why are you so disappointed. I won't be asking though, since that's a different topic and I kind of remember you sharing your impressions about it in said topic.

I'm generally fine with "graphical side" of Mania (although I admit that there is something inside me, that I'm starting to dislike things which are so "intrusively" and intensively praised by many people), so presence of mentioned style on board is acceptable for me. The whole "disappointment" thing was rather because I've changed my preferences in the meanwhile (more details in Mania thread), while Mania was rather a glorified and beefed (technically) return to the past.

Don't know why I was still expecting that Mania will provide me some fun... It didn't, I felt tired before I've finished the game. Which is not a good sign for such short game :P

But anyway - all of these (fortunately) don't have influence on my reception of Battle Racers - I'm curious how will it work in practice and have hope that it'll bring a lot of fun.

#43 User is offline HedgeHayes 

Posted 25 May 2018 - 08:50 PM

If someone wanted to get this game with all the benefits of the Kickstarter campaign, but made that decision too late to make a pledge, BoardOx is running the game's pledge manager which I think it allows for everyone to purchase the game under the campaign's conditions. The Hyper Pledge, with a price of 150$, would have a price of above 400$ if sold on stores, but that's just an estimated number since some stuff is KS exclusive, starting with Super Sonic but not limiting to him.

#44 User is offline HedgeHayes 

Posted 29 August 2018 - 06:56 PM

Deserved bump for sad news: due to diverse circumstances in China, the game will be delivered to backers later than expected. They planned to start shipping in October, but the best new estimated time will be the end of the year or so, and only if nothing else happens.

Besides that, I haven't updated this thread in the last months because there haven't been major news. They've been upgrading designs and models to pass the quality controls Sega imposes, and it seems like Sonic Team is involved in those because Sonic is their thing, but I don't think that's a close involvement, just the usual bureaucracy.

Now that I'm around, I want to ask about the criteria for things that should go on the wiki when the time comes and I take care of this board game's page or at least its photos and scans. I know "everything" is the usual answer, but I need something more specific. For example, we could take all those pictures from the capaign and add them to wiki, but I think just a link to kickstarter would do, as they don't remove the sites for the finished campaigns, I think. That also goes for updates history, as they have a journal there. I'll scan the boards and similar things, and take photos of the miniatures as they come in the box, also taking photos of the boxes themselves both before opening and after doing it to show the blisters, etc. I think we could ask kindly to Shinobi7 if they want to provide pictures instead of relying on my scans, but I'd leave that to someone used to do this kind of things. Right now, I'm only worried about what should be saved from the campaign for the wiki, just in case, and if we should add a preliminary page now, since most of the info is already there.

• 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users