Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Streets of Rage 4 - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 6 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Streets of Rage 4

#76 User is offline saintminya 

Posted 28 December 2018 - 09:20 PM

• Project:music production, mental archiving.
This is looking gorgeous. Really can't wait to hear the accompanying tunes.
This post has been edited by saintminya: 28 December 2018 - 09:20 PM

#77 User is offline steveswede 

Posted 29 December 2018 - 12:19 AM

• Project:Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
  • Wiki edits:6
While I do like the look of things I can't help but think I've seen it all before with the same enemies from previous games. This is fine as a remake but this is Streets of Rage 4. I would like to see new stuff for the sequel please.

#78 User is offline Xilla 

Posted 30 December 2018 - 12:43 AM

• No promotion for you, laddy.
I wouldn't mind if they just stuck with tradition and gave the old punks some new moves, and added a bunch of new enemies to the roster. It's pretty much what the sequels did anyway.

I'm guessing the SWAT guy is a mid boss of some kind and the snake lady is an end of level boss. I'm also hoping they take their cue from 1 and 2 and have the bosses turn up as regular enemies in later stages, something that was missing in 3 (apart from the flock of Robo.X's in the lab stage but that doesn't really count).
This post has been edited by Xilla: 30 December 2018 - 12:44 AM

#79 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 30 December 2018 - 10:36 AM

• match up tails to the cards
  • Project:you just can't catch 'em, wiggly worms
  • Wiki edits:20,569
It does run the risk of looking more like "Streets of Rage HD Remix" than "Streets of Rage 4".

I mean I suppose you could argue it's the same "streets" so you're not going to get wildly different scenery, but if Axel has changed his clothes and grown a beard, you'd think some of the enemies would too.

But then again I guess it depends what you want from a sequel. My feeling is that the reason Streets of Rage was successful, is because it looked at all the established beat-'em-ups of the time (or at the very least, Final Fight) and said "we can do better". And then they did. I'm not convinced this iteration is following the same mindset.

You know what would be sweet and innovative and something all games with reasonable budgets should be trying to do? Not have two enemies look the same. You can give them the same movesets and have them look similar for sure, but there's no reason in 2018 why everyone should have the same hairdo and wear the same clothes. Particularly if you're going to give each one a name anyway.

(this isn't unique to SoR4 btw - I was annoyed when Assassin's Creed Syndicate (which is the latest one I've played) pulled the "all brutes are fat and bald, all snipers are thin women with top hats" card. Get a bit of rand()/RAND_MAX in there)

#80 User is offline steveswede 

Posted 30 December 2018 - 10:50 AM

• Project:Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 30 December 2018 - 10:36 AM, said:

You know what would be sweet and innovative and something all games with reasonable budgets should be trying to do? Not have two enemies look the same. You can give them the same movesets and have them look similar for sure, but there's no reason in 2018 why everyone should have the same hairdo and wear the same clothes. Particularly if you're going to give each one a name anyway.

A great example of this would be Cadillac's and Dinosaurs as that game does exactly this.

#81 User is offline Jason 

Posted 30 December 2018 - 10:54 AM

• *Results not lab tested.
All 3 games shared basic enemy types, 2 and 3 were especially similar. We don't have a solid release date yet, nor unscripted gameplay footage. I think there'll be more enemy types when they feel they need to show more gameplay.

#82 User is offline Ashura96 

Posted 30 December 2018 - 02:59 PM

• FUTURE 2222
Pretty sure there wasn't a police enemy with a cyber riot shield you had to fight before.

Posted Image

#83 User is offline 360 

Posted 30 December 2018 - 04:48 PM

• Light Vision Overdrive
  • Project:Sonic Neon
It's sufficiently evocative of Megadrive-era Streets of Rage in these new batch of screens and this new build, almost like this new version was a direct response to the initial lukewarm reaction that the game wasn't "Streets of Rage" enough - and these guys have profound love for the original series and thus know what they're doing. They even name checked the Streets of Rage Remake in a recent interview.

Confirmation of Yuzo Koshiro on the soundtrack in some form, hopefully the entire thing - and this'll be a fantastic new instalment.
This post has been edited by 360: 30 December 2018 - 04:51 PM

#84 User is offline Xilla 

Posted 19 January 2019 - 08:05 PM

• No promotion for you, laddy.
I've noticed on the recently posted juggle GIF that Axel seems to pull off all 3 of his jumping attacks in a single motion. He goes from his Down+B knee attack, to his standing jumping high kick, to his directional jumping kick.

Wonder if this is a new gameplay mechanic of sorts or if they've made a mistake here (hopefully the former).

• 6 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users