Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic ERaZor – Fulfilled Edition - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 11 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Sonic ERaZor – Fulfilled Edition Sixth Public Release — 05/10/2016

#136 User is offline Selbi 

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:10 PM

• Impaled with Extreme Prejudice
  • Project:Sonic ERaZor
  • Wiki edits:320
Sonic ERaZor - Selbi's Commentary [Episode 2]

'Bout fucking time.

#137 User is offline Selbi 

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:48 PM

Heyo, stuff is happening!

(Dat YouTube thumbnail quality.)

#138 User is offline Lanzer 

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:22 PM

• The saber calls for its master...
  • Project:Doing Stuff.
  • Wiki edits:1
Holy shit! thats awesome. I died at least 6 times when I was fighting that boss the first time around.

#139 User is offline Selbi 

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:15 AM

Sonic ERaZor - The Final Legacy [Codename]

"Who knows, maybe I will continue this game at some point again. So, unlike last year, where I said Version 3 would be the final release but changed my mind, I will say right away that chances are that I will continue this thing after some time has passed." - Selbi (Revision 86 - July 24th 2012)

Well, I said I would be back and so I am! The past year was enough time for me to list some of the issues and bugs still remaining. On top of that I have a bunch of new ideas I want to get into this thing. Whether it's going to be an update in the size of the fourth public release can only be answered by the future, but I don't really think so.

This was written on October 6th 2013. It was supposed to be a semi-big update for that final revision I promised after the Fourth Public Release, but as you know that never came.

The initial motivation was enormous and I worked on my game for many nights straight. Unfortunately, that motivation died down extremely quickly, leaving me with a bunch of ideas I did not want to work my ass off over nothing. So now I stand here with this imperfect update that's somewhere between major and bugfix, stuck in limbo.

I figured keeping this thing on my hard drive, collecting dust for nothing (which is what it has been doing for the past two or so months at least), I've decided to just release it. Sitting down today, I fixed the final major kinks to make it a fully playable version, so you shouldn't worry about crashes or anything. Still, it's not a perfect and bug-free version, so please only report problems if they are absolutely game-breaking.

Main Changelog:
  • Updated all bosses! — Added a hit counter. — The Scar Night Place Bomb Boss is now the big one from Sonic CD.
  • 200% more explosions! — Also improved camera shaking a lot.
  • Atmospheric Mode has been replaced with Nonstop Inhuman Mode, and it unlocks after finishing the game.
  • Put platforms over the tubes in the overworld so you can no longer accidentally fall into them. (Thanks to MarkeyJester!)
  • Revamped Crabmeat Boss music. (Thanks to Spanner!)
  • Story and tutorial texts have been edited. (Thanks to Kaidan and Abcron!)
  • Bunch of other fixes and small changes, but nothing really noteworthy...

Nothing in here is really worth showing in screenshots. So, check out this video and this new video if you haven't already and make up your own mind.

Download

Not sure if I'm going to submit it to the hacking contest this year, since not a lot has changed since it won the Hidden Palace Trophy two years ago, but we'll see.
This post has been edited by Selbi: 11 January 2014 - 10:37 AM

#140 User is offline Kharen 

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:00 PM

That's pretty cool. An awesome hack gets an update released on my birthday. I know you didn't mean to, but thanks for the amazing birthday present!

#141 User is offline Dragon Dude 

Posted 11 January 2014 - 08:28 PM

• My posts are rarer than the rarest Pepe
  • Project:Learning about stuff.
I'm glad this is out, but the second GHZ boss has a lot of slowdown. Do you plan on improving this?
This post has been edited by Dragon Dude: 11 January 2014 - 08:35 PM

#142 User is offline Selbi 

Posted 12 January 2014 - 08:26 AM

View PostKharen, on 11 January 2014 - 05:00 PM, said:

That's pretty cool. An awesome hack gets an update released on my birthday. I know you didn't mean to, but thanks for the amazing birthday present!

Hah, talk about timing!

View PostDragon Dude, on 11 January 2014 - 08:28 PM, said:

I'm glad this is out, but the second GHZ boss has a lot of slowdown. Do you plan on improving this?

As I said, I am aware of its many problems, but I just can't be bothered to fix them all. So here's a playable version – not perfect, but not terribly broken either.

#143 User is offline Knucklez 

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:10 AM

Well that sucks. We all love the work you put into it so that's all that matters, Selbi.

It's awesome.

#144 User is offline Selbi 

Posted 10 May 2016 - 08:57 PM

Sonic ERaZor – Fulfilled Edition (Sixth Public Release)

Technically speaking, Sonic ERaZor has been finished over two years ago. However, after watching many Let's Players suffer at the wrong parts (as in, despite me being a sadistic bastard, they had problems in sections where there weren't supposed to be any), I realized just how many things were left unpolished.

I've decided to dig it out ERaZor for one final instance (hopefully for real this time) to fix these issues, and also go back and change a few other things that have always bothered me. One thing is that I finally got rid of the superfluous Life system! There always were infinite Continues by default anyway, so it served no purpose at all. Instead, it's now displaying how many times you've died already, so you always know just how bad you are!

Listing all the new features would be boring, as these are mostly bugs most people wouldn't even notice.

However, there is one specific feature I wanted to have added years ago...

Download:
http://selbi.hapisan.com/erazor/

Now also on Steam:
http://steamcommunit...s/?id=674699953

#145 User is offline D.A. Garden 

Posted 11 May 2016 - 06:34 AM

• Wiki edits:44
I have just been torturing myself for the last few hours (Oh, the joy) and can officially say that the newly added last challenge has broken me. I can't do it, and I don't want to. I just don't see any benefit in doing it, and I have come to the conclusion that, even if it offered me everything I ever wanted for completing it, I'd tell it where to go. Well done, Selbi!

Also, I have come across a few issues that may either be as a result of newly added fixes, or may have been there from the start and no-one has noted them:
  • If you spam the air dash when breaking the three 10 ring monitors and the invincibility in Green Hill Place (Act 2?), it will create a permanent white palette for objects.
  • You can make game lag really badly due to too many explosions graphics loading. Take the lower path in Green Hill Place and keep spamming air dash. The game will begin to lag horribly, and won't go back to normal, even during the boss fight.
  • If you hold right at the start of the first special stage and keep pressing jump at the right time, you will complete the stage without actually playing it.
  • You can drown at the end of Labyrinth Place after the signpost, but it doesn't count as a death if the end-of-level text still shows up. It's just glitchy if it does. Only graphical issues.
  • Same as Special Stage 1, you can jump repeatedly left at the start of the second special stage and it will eventually think you've cleared it, throwing up the completion text and letting you continue.
  • You can spam the air dash in the walls in Scar Agony and get stuck with a full while palette again.

Also, spoiler for an issue with the new challenge:
Spoiler

This post has been edited by D.A. Garden: 11 May 2016 - 06:35 AM

#146 User is offline tuanpingas 

Posted 11 May 2016 - 10:15 AM

• Project:some small Sonic Generations mods
Oh my! This hack is as difficult as Dark Souls 😨

#147 User is offline Sith 

Posted 11 May 2016 - 08:46 PM

• The molotov bitch
I just discovered this hack so I tried it today.
If there ever would be a hack that makes me love and hate it at the same time, then this one is it.

That opening cutscene made me smile. I could almost hear that bug bomber scream hadoken every time he fired one. :D
I love what you did to the game. You invented new gameplay mechanics and totally changed the experience.
The ruined place is like a whole different game with that S monitor. And the bloody spikes are a nice touch. :p
Wet pit of death changes the rules by limiting the scrolling. I even had to find out you couldn't touch a small piece of scenery to stay alive and had to jump over it. These neat little touches makes it all so much better.
You turned a stage of the game into 'don't touch the wire' and how you implemented that concept into the special stage is epic.
Your partially new tile art makes the stages feel somewhat different but retaining their familiar appearance.

The hate part is the difficulty level obviously. It's mentally insane. lol
I absolutely cannot beat this game without savestates. The final boss is a nightmare.
To get through I used a savestate for every succesful hit. :p

And then you offer a surprise with the hidden special stage. Disorientation can be a problem here, causing you to go back the wrong way if you don't keep track of where you need to go from each save point.
I was persistent though and made it.

"You have beaten the black challenge. Here is a secret for you. ..."

Overall this hack oozes brilliance, professionalism but also a whole bag of frustration.
Selbi you are a genius bastard!
This post has been edited by Sith: 11 May 2016 - 08:58 PM

#148 User is offline Eduardo Knuckles 

Posted 12 May 2016 - 09:58 PM

• Not a loved one, but the most hated person.
  • Project:Sonic Harder Levels
  • Wiki edits:66
I didn't play it yet, but I shall record a full playthrough of it. My beloved most preferred hack from all the times deserves this. <3

#149 User is offline redhotsonic 

Posted 13 May 2016 - 11:13 AM

• Also known as RHS
  • Project:Sonic Bash!
  • Wiki edits:24
With Selbi giving the green light, I made a video on my first 20 minute play though (with commentary, obviously).

Link

#150 User is offline Selbi 

Posted 14 May 2016 - 12:07 PM

Welp, this is curious. Truly curious. I got interviewed. And yet, I wasn't. It was, as the article clearly states, an interview for my evil arch nemesis!

Posted Image

CURSE YOU, SELDI! COURSE YOUUUUUUUUUU!!!

• 11 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users