Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: OK, here's what's up homies - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 4 Pages +
    Locked Forum

OK, here's what's up homies

#31 User is offline Jayextee 

Posted 02 April 2010 - 04:32 AM

• Comic Mischief
  • Project:I DONE MAKED GAMES.
  • Wiki edits:27
QUOTE (Mercury @ Apr 2 2010, 10:29 AM)
Classic Phantasy Star holds as dear a place in my heart as Sonic.

Ditto. I'll be making sure the classic series' pages are tip-top once I'm in the full swing of things (right now, I'm repeatedly clicking Random Page and performing any small edits I feel confident with -- already edited Phantasy Star 1's page XD).

#32 User is offline 0r4ng3 

Posted 02 April 2010 - 06:21 AM

• Wiki edits:708
I think a Sega games subforum in the general gaming forum would be a great approach. Also, a thread dedicated to each franchise, as a thread for each game sounds a bit too much since this isn't Neogaf. Is it going to have enough traffic though?

SegaNerds is a top notch Sega blog and forums that most Sega fans would know (and visit), acknowledged by Sega as well. Then there's the Sega board where all the faggots reside. The point is, with Retro, there are three major Sega sites with attached forums. I know they're all targeting different things, Retro the hackers, Nerds the discussion people and Sega boards the children but even so, people are too spread out. Even Nerds, who still has a very good blog with regular visits, has a close to dead forums. True the forums were quite active before the move to the Kartel, so that might be why. I'm just afraid we're going to have that many regulars that justify a brand new section.

Also, and I don't want to upset anyone on either side, and I want people to know I respect (and love) both, but maybe Retro could ally with Nerds for a joint effort? I think that a partnership of some kind for the Sega Retro wiki would be very good indeed. They're turned more to the nerdy aspects of the company too and there are a fair number of people with lots of Sega knowledge amongst the staff (and the forum posters) which could contribute a lot.

I'm off to write the Shining Force III page!

#33 User is offline Spanner 

Posted 02 April 2010 - 06:23 AM

• Sonic Hacking Contest Lead Organiser
  • Project:Sonic the Hedgehog Hacking Contest, Other Stuff
  • Wiki edits:2,193
I saw this coming. The split was a great idea due to the influx of SEGA articles there was on Retro. Once all the SEGA articles are moved to the new wiki things can be a lot better.

In any case, I now have two wikis to look at and do shit with. Looks like my work now doubled. smile.png
This post has been edited by SOTI: 02 April 2010 - 06:24 AM

#34 User is offline The KKM 

Posted 02 April 2010 - 06:55 AM

• Welcome to the nExt level
  • Project:Taking control of my life
  • Wiki edits:6
QUOTE (Ritz @ Apr 2 2010, 06:12 AM)
QUOTE (Scarred Sun @ Apr 1 2010, 07:55 PM)
I didn't realize taking away the oh-so-precious GSD for a day and making a fake ragepost would incite so much fucking rage in you all.

Sarcasm? I only saw, like, two or three people who were actually concerned about it- everyone else seemed to wholeheartedly support the idea of scrapping the Sonic side of Retro altogether. Can't we at least make Sega Retro the default title and cram the Sonic forums in a niche somewhere until they shrivel away like vestigial organs? It's for the best.

We need to gather a list of names for every person who actually fell for this. We could do a lot of constructive things with that sort of data!

Actually, looking at it, the majority of reactions was "nice, SEGA Retro!, So, when do you guys finish the prank and reveal we're keeping Sonic?", followed by "NO PLEASE IF SONIC'S GONE I'm OUTTA HERE" and only then, a short minority, "LONG DEATH TO THE BLUE FUCKTARD"

Anyways, I fully support this. I too was starting to find it odd how you'd find articles for anything on Sonic Retro, now they'll have a good home.

#35 User is offline Travelsonic 

Posted 02 April 2010 - 07:24 AM

I honestly was skeptical about the closure of Sonic Retro - supportive of SEGA Retro, as my one post in that thread actually conveys [I hope].

Here's why: Shitcanning an entire forum over a thread?

I have been lurking and posting in the developing Sonic [hacking / research / secrets] community for 10 years now, from the old SSRG, to Area51 to SOSTH to the original Simon Wai's Sonic 2 BETA Page and even for a little bit the separate "Sonic Hacking Community" website.

In those years, I seldom if ever saw saw an idea that stupid - aside from the abrupt shitcanning of the SSRG in 2003. Actually, aside from that, I have seen far far worse user forum behavior than the Sonic 4 thread - but that was usually handled with thread deletion,or thread bans for users.

As in, I doubt that the moderators are THAT overwhelmed by their powers to shitcan a forum over arguments over Sonic's eye color, or trivial things like that.
This post has been edited by Travelsonic: 02 April 2010 - 07:25 AM

#36 User is offline NHY 

Posted 02 April 2010 - 10:08 AM

• Now with an original avatar
Well, given that it was a joke ( which I knew to an extent anyway, I'm just gullible! ) I'm not surprised.

I fully behind SEGA Retro though but its logo NEEDS TO GO.

Anyway, congrats on the launch, doing it in one of the most unique ways I've seen on the internet and I hope its a huge success!

#37 User is offline Glisp 

Posted 02 April 2010 - 11:28 AM

• It's classic Super Sonic with Green eyes. Get over it.
  • Project:None at the moment I'm afraid.
  • Wiki edits:73
I started an Eternal Champions: Challenge From the Dark Side page on the wiki if anyone is interested in editing it. It needs a lot of clean up.

#38 User is offline Friend of Sonic 

Posted 02 April 2010 - 12:09 PM

• ^ My only lasting impact to the Sonic community
I did pick up on the anal bleeding referrence, but I just thought that was a jab at Andy out of the blue. Didn't think it was something to consider as evidence for April Fool's.

#39 User is offline RevFirst 

Posted 02 April 2010 - 01:04 PM

It wasn't even you guys. It's those damn Sonic 4 leaks that got me to lose interest. Not their fault though as they saved me a few quid from downloading a shitty game. Have fun though and here's hoping for a better Episode 2. [/useless post]
This post has been edited by RevFirst: 02 April 2010 - 01:07 PM

#40 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 02 April 2010 - 04:21 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
Yeah, the decision as to when we revealed Sega Retro was made about the 29th March when in staff chat someone mentioned about how launching the site on the 1st of April would be hilarious - I suggested the rage post idea, and it kinda snowballed from there as we scrambled to get everything ready in time. =P I really didn't see the amount of anger over GSD being removed though - heaven forbid the Sonic 4 topic not get posts for 24 hours. rolleyes.png

And yes, it's genuinely a real site that we're keeping - the second part of the joke! =P I hope it grows as well as Sonic Retro has done over the years, and that people will scan & contribute to BOTH sites.

#41 User is offline Glisp 

Posted 02 April 2010 - 05:00 PM

• It's classic Super Sonic with Green eyes. Get over it.
  • Project:None at the moment I'm afraid.
  • Wiki edits:73
I think the sub boards should go by developers rather than series if we decide to make a subforum for certain different Sega games. That narrow's the catagories down a little and still broadens what can be talked about in these subforums.

#42 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 02 April 2010 - 06:53 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
There's not going to be half a billion subforums, we should be clear on that now.

#43 User is offline Nova 

Posted 03 April 2010 - 02:27 PM

• Sonic CulT Advanced Research Zone
  • Wiki edits:17
All I can hope for is that the batshit-crazy Sonic fans on the forum don't drive away the more level-headed Sega fans that are drawn to the site by the new Wiki.

Seriously, the Sonic 4 thread is the biggest travesty on any forum I've ever seen and I know the management is taking steps to lower the level of stupidity but it's extremely hard to do given the volume of posts.
Trying to keep up with that thread is like picking ant shit out of a jar of pepper with boxing gloves on. It's fucking impossible. If Sonic fans could be a little calmer with their excitement/rage/disappointment, we'd be all the better for it.

#44 User is offline Travelsonic 

Posted 04 April 2010 - 02:03 AM

Seriously, the Sonic 4 thread is the biggest travesty on any forum I've ever seen...

Somebody hasn't been in the sonic scene long enough. :P It is bad, but more so in the drivel / nonsensical form of bad, not outright travesty. For that, do dig around in the archive.org records of some of the old SOSTH/A51/SSRG stuff.

The only thing about SEGA Retro I may be concerned about is the name/site, only because of the whole SEGASonic.net thing that happened many years ago. Having the company's name (SEGA) in any of our URLs is just asking for trouble, in my humble and semi-informed (semi-paranoid) opinion.

#45 User is offline Chaos Knux 

Posted 04 April 2010 - 02:21 AM

• Stable avatar temporary. Randomizer site down.
  • Wiki edits:4
SEGA knows we exist and haven't pulled the plug on SonicRetro, I don't think they'll blast us over their company name. Besides, free advertisment, amiright?

• 4 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users