Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Explaining Our Downtime - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 7 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Explaining Our Downtime

#31 User is offline Metal Knuckles 

Posted 08 August 2009 - 08:18 PM

• HAVE SOME FUN WITH MIKU
  • Project:Shadow Alpha, an awesome hack of Sonic 1
  • Wiki edits:10
QUOTE (Tweaker @ Aug 8 2009, 04:40 PM)
[*]Myself, for beating the shit out of people in #retro

I think I un be having the concussions now, nyea nyea nyeaaaaaaaa...

Are you going to toss a mention to the whole ordeal with Tristan's yellow journalism as well? Since Xkeeper mentioned it on the temp front page, it seems to merit a spot in the top post.

Also, congrats on Gerbil getting admin and Jimbo finally getting unbanned. I expect penguins spilling tea will be the norm from here on.

#32 User is offline Impish 

Posted 08 August 2009 - 08:20 PM

• Wiki edits:7
Yay, gerbil definitely deserved the adminship, well done man. And well done to the rest of you'se folks, for getting retro back online.
This post has been edited by Impish: 08 August 2009 - 08:21 PM

#33 User is offline GeneHF 

Posted 08 August 2009 - 08:22 PM

• SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be.
  • Project:Complete Global Conquest
  • Wiki edits:381
OK. LET'S DO THIS AGAIN, ffs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0Sq5uVgDWI&fmt=18

I'm back
And better than ever
Got a knack
For making things better
Face facts
'Cause your opinion don't matter
This maniac
Is gonna step on whoever

It's time
Get in line
'Cause I'm gonna make some changes
Kickin' ass
Takin' names
Screamin', "I'm so famous!"
I'm burnin' out the dead wood
Burnin' down time
'Cause it's only my way
So get your ass in line

They all talk
They say that I've lost it
But chop me down
And I swear it's gonna cost ya'
Now I'm back
The boss of you morons
To never count me out is one thing you can count on

It's time
Get in line
'Cause I'm gonna make some changes
Kickin' ass
Takin' names
Screamin', "I'm so famous!"
I'm burnin' out the dead wood
Burnin' down time
'Cause it's only my way
So get your ass in line

Also, it was a pleasure keeping the staff amused because I have no technical prowess otherwise. It was a very stressful situation and they all needed some laughs to keep them sane, which TSSZ provided in certain cases. However, they get no credit because I fucking said so. colbert.png

#34 User is offline CyberKitsune 

Posted 08 August 2009 - 08:22 PM

• Never enough time.
  • Project:aaaaaaaaa
  • Wiki edits:52
Congrats Gerbil, you can now RickRoll on a Massive scale! ^^

#35 User is offline Sonikku 

Posted 08 August 2009 - 08:44 PM

• Project:dsfgdfgcbvnbvhgvbc
  • Wiki edits:69
QUOTE (Blanche Hodapp @ Aug 8 2009, 09:13 PM)
This would never have happened on Usenet

That's not important. At least the Wiki survived more or less intact

Well, barely, because all the images got deleted.

Shibunoa can take a dildo and stick it in his ass.
This post has been edited by Sonikku: 08 August 2009 - 08:45 PM

#36 User is offline Shadic 

Posted 08 August 2009 - 08:45 PM

• Project:Home improvement eternal
  • Wiki edits:1
Damn, I just reformatted my computer yesterday, else I'd help with the Wiki restoration, oh well.

Yay, I can come back to Retro and piss my time away again!

#37 User is offline TSSZNews 

Posted 08 August 2009 - 08:47 PM

• First @ Something or Other
  • Project:Occasional JOURNALISM
Well, I'm very happy to see that a true community effort was set forth to return Retro to its origWAIIIIIT AAAAAA MINUTE!

This time, though, we weren't as lucky—not only did he delete the SQL for the forums and the wiki, but he also wiped the images directory, taking literally thousands of files hosted on our wiki with it. Normally this wouldn't be a problem—after all, we had been in the process of making more backups for such an occasion—but Scarred Sun hadn't finished making a full backup, and only had 1,000 or so of the 10,000+ files that were originally in the directory. In addition, the uploads directory on the forum suffered the same fate. As of now, we've managed to re-obtain about 1,500 of the lost files.

In order to combat this potential staggering loss, GerbilSoft stepped up to the plate and downloaded an image of the entire CulTNET HDD, running several diagnostic tools that would hopefully be able to scan the drive for any deleted files that might have still existed on the disc. After hours upon hours of downloading, transferring, and analyzing the disc image, however, it appeared that none of the deleted files existed on the drive any longer

So...wait.

Some of the reporting I did that you're mocking right now on the front page was actually correct for a few fleeting moments, before GS and others via caches and such stepped up?

#38 User is offline Glisp 

Posted 08 August 2009 - 08:47 PM

• It's classic Super Sonic with Green eyes. Get over it.
  • Project:None at the moment I'm afraid.
  • Wiki edits:73
Shibnoa's (Or however the fuck it should be spelled.) wiki page needs to be updated so we can continue to mock him for the rest of his banned years!!!

The only question I have is why he did it? I mean its obvious it had something to do with Tweaker and how he runs things here but is there any background explanation as to his motive behind committing the intolerable and fucking retarded act? (Granted I don't have any problem with how Tweaker runs things. I think he should do whatever works for him, which he does.)
This post has been edited by Glisp: 08 August 2009 - 08:49 PM

#39 User is offline Commadoo 

Posted 08 August 2009 - 08:50 PM

• Wiki edits:40
http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=17008

Now that it's back, go here and show your support!

Also, Good to have this place back. Provides the lulz

#40 User is offline Spanner 

• Sonic Hacking Contest Lead Organiser
  • Project:Sonic the Hedgehog Hacking Contest, Other Stuff
  • Wiki edits:2,193
QUOTE (Glisp @ Aug 9 2009, 02:47 AM)
Shibnoa's (Or however the fuck it should be spelled.) wiki page needs to be updated so we can continue to mock him for the rest of his banned years!!!

The wiki is still locked. Tweaker did edit his page mentioning that he was banned for the attack before Retro was hit for the 2nd time.

#41 User is offline Chimpo 

QUOTE (TSSZNews @ Aug 8 2009, 06:47 PM)
Some of the reporting I did that you're mocking right now on the front page was actually correct for a few fleeting moments, before GS and others via caches and such stepped up?

No.

#42 User is offline Afti 

Posted 08 August 2009 - 08:51 PM

• ORIGINAL MACHINE
  • Wiki edits:336
QUOTE (TSSZNews @ Aug 8 2009, 09:47 PM)
Well, I'm very happy to see that a true community effort was set forth to return Retro to its origWAIIIIIT AAAAAA MINUTE!

This time, though, we weren't as lucky—not only did he delete the SQL for the forums and the wiki, but he also wiped the images directory, taking literally thousands of files hosted on our wiki with it. Normally this wouldn't be a problem—after all, we had been in the process of making more backups for such an occasion—but Scarred Sun hadn't finished making a full backup, and only had 1,000 or so of the 10,000+ files that were originally in the directory. In addition, the uploads directory on the forum suffered the same fate. As of now, we've managed to re-obtain about 1,500 of the lost files.

In order to combat this potential staggering loss, GerbilSoft stepped up to the plate and downloaded an image of the entire CulTNET HDD, running several diagnostic tools that would hopefully be able to scan the drive for any deleted files that might have still existed on the disc. After hours upon hours of downloading, transferring, and analyzing the disc image, however, it appeared that none of the deleted files existed on the drive any longer

So...wait.

You got it by quoting an impostor. eng101.png

#43 User is offline Xkeeper 

Posted 08 August 2009 - 08:52 PM

• get in the zone. badnikzone.
  • Project:herpa derpa doop
  • Wiki edits:221
QUOTE (TSSZNews @ Aug 8 2009, 06:47 PM)

Well, no, because your reported that it was I that said that, when it was in fact some bullshit impostor.

So you're still wrong, just like always.

#44 User is offline Nik Jam 

Posted 08 August 2009 - 08:54 PM

• The Man
  • Project:Sonic Mode: Sounds of the Universe (But not really)
  • Wiki edits:12
It's nice that #retro has calmed down now, I'm happy no text was lost. I feel like I've found a new home. (don't mean that in a corny way)

#45 User is offline Tweaker 

Posted 08 August 2009 - 08:54 PM

QUOTE (TSSZNews @ Aug 8 2009, 09:47 PM)

It was offhandedly mentioned in IRC upon assessing the damage that we may have lost every single image; I'm sure an overzealous lurker in the IRC decided to adopt Xkeeper's handle for some reason and make the comment immediately after, leaving absolutely no room for any actual solutions to be proposed in order to rectify the situation.

In any case, I prefer that you wait for official statements (like this one) right from us in the future before reporting so you don't get anything wrong next time. Trust me—it's better for all of us.

Oh, and by the way—this will not turn into a TSSZ bashing thread. Keep your comments to yourselves.

• 7 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users