Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Cancelled SegaSonic game SegaSonic Bros. (1992) found - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 17 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Cancelled SegaSonic game SegaSonic Bros. (1992) found Found by guy who found and dumped the popcorn machine thing

#16 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 04 February 2016 - 04:09 PM

• maybe she's born with it
  • Project:maybe it's maybelline
  • Wiki edits:20,569
Extremely important - I thought I'd had a whiff of this sort of thing before:

http://retrocdn.net/...046.pdf&page=52

EGM #47, May 1993.

"We have developed two Sonic arcade games that have never been released because they were not the specialness that Sonic was".

Before the announcement of SegaSonic Arcade.

#17 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 04 February 2016 - 04:18 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
Interesting.

This does of course beg the question of what #2 was...

#18 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 04 February 2016 - 04:21 PM

• maybe she's born with it
  • Project:maybe it's maybelline
  • Wiki edits:20,569
Should point out that "not released" could equate to "it failed its location test".

So this "SuperSonic Bros." thing might be completely finished, just not good enough to manufacture a full run.

#19 User is offline roymcgeeters 

Posted 04 February 2016 - 04:33 PM

• Video games do not make video games
SEGASonic Bros, huh?

I'm willing to buy that this is some sort of SEGASonic prototype, but I would love to humor the idea that this is some sort of long lost bootleg. I dunno, that would be hilarious to me. The Sonic recolors give me that impression too. Though for a prototype, it would have been easier to make Sonic recolors and then make Ray and Mighty sprites later I suppose.

#20 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 04 February 2016 - 04:42 PM

• Wiki edits:18
This can't be an official prototype of SegaSonic.

The prototype we have already features Ray and Mighty and has an older Sonic design than these, in the title screen.

EDIT: Edited for clarification.
This post has been edited by ICEknight: 04 February 2016 - 04:51 PM

#21 User is offline Master Emerald 

Posted 04 February 2016 - 04:56 PM

• Project:-
  • Wiki edits:22

View PostICEknight, on 04 February 2016 - 04:42 PM, said:

This can't be real.

The prototype we already have features Ray and Mighty and has an older Sonic design than these, in the title screen.

Sonic 3D Beta on Mega Drive had assets used buried in the ROM that were later used in the Saturn version (iirc, the title card numbers). That didn't mean they were newer. They could have easily have made many attempts at a 'Sonic' for the title screen and went with an older asset on the final game.

#22 User is offline Doctor Butler 

Posted 04 February 2016 - 04:58 PM

Yeah, the fact that he was involved in dumping Popcorn[/I and Waku gives me a bit more cinfidence that this is the real-deal.

Do we know anything about [I]SegaSonic
's development?

#23 User is offline TimmiT 

Posted 04 February 2016 - 04:58 PM

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Wiki edits:8

The prototype we have already features Ray and Mighty and has an older Sonic design than these, in the title screen.

Posted Image

Sonic looks slightly different =/= it's a different design. The art style is entirely different from SegaSonic Bros. as well, it's more likely that the title screens are just by different artists.
This post has been edited by TimmiT: 04 February 2016 - 05:01 PM

#24 User is offline Yeow 

Posted 04 February 2016 - 05:16 PM

• Official moneylender for the Coalition of Muslim Drug Dealers
  • Project:college courses and holding crusades against anime trash
I can't believe official recolors existed in Sonic before Sonic X recolors plagued the internet

But no seriously this is one hell of a find, aside from the article linked by Black Squirrel I don't think it's ever been mentioned or found in any previously existing informantion. The prototype name "SegaSonic Bros." is also really fascinating. If this was kept for the final released, there would had been an official "Sonic Bros." to counter the Mario Bros. lol.

Oh and is anyone else getting a massive Animaniacs vibe from the three Sonics in the poster? Sonic, Wonic, and...Yonic Blonic Donic.

#25 User is offline TimmiT 

Posted 04 February 2016 - 05:25 PM

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
So I'm guessing that it's not a coincidence that the two Sonic recolours are the same colours as Tails and Knuckles? :V

#26 User is offline Tanks 

Posted 04 February 2016 - 05:29 PM

• Wiki edits:1

View PostOverlord, on 04 February 2016 - 04:18 PM, said:

Interesting.

This does of course beg the question of what #2 was...

I would think he would be referring to Sega Sonic the Hedgehog. This was a May 93 issue of EGM which would mean they had this interview by Feb-March at the latest. SegaSonic the Hedgehog showed up in Japan one month later in June (and in the US Sept that year). So, and I'm speculating here, but I'd think Al Nilsen saying there are two unreleased games is purely that since SStH wasn't quite released then.

As for him being unsure about Sonic's viability in the arcade... I'd say we can look at Black Squirrel's point about "location testing." If you remember correctly, SStH had the unused SatAM Robotnik sprites which I'd guess means they weren't seeing much success in the US market and floated the idea of connecting it to the popular TV show of the time. Something tells me some higher-ups (possibly SoJ) didn't like that idea which would have left the project seemingly in limbo from SoA's perspective. of course the game did get released in the US with the original "Eggman" sprites and that's the game we have today.

I like this little story I've concocted. But of course all of this won't matter if this guy pulls another Sonic arcade game out of his magical proto-producing ass. :v:

#27 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 04 February 2016 - 05:39 PM

View PostTimmiT, on 04 February 2016 - 04:58 PM, said:

Posted Image

Sonic looks slightly different =/= it's a different design. The art style is entirely different from SegaSonic Bros. as well, it's more likely that the title screens are just by different artists.

No, I mean it does show Sonic's pre-final design. The one which was used everywhere until his first spine was lowered (due to SoA feedback?). See here and notice how the top spine looks just like in the SegaSonic proto title screen. I believe that some assets made for promotional material had to actually be altered to reflect this change.

For all we know, development on SegaSonic may have been started shortly after Sonic 1's, before it became one of those two "not up to par" scrapped Sonic arcades mentioned in the article, only for it to be rescued and completed in 1992 because hey turns out that Sonic can sell anything. This would also explain the lack of badniks or any familiar elements and characters from the series, other than Sonic, Robotnik and the rings.
This post has been edited by ICEknight: 04 February 2016 - 05:49 PM

#28 User is offline DigitalDuck 

Posted 04 February 2016 - 05:42 PM

• Arriving four years late.
  • Project:TurBoa, S1RL

View PostTimmiT, on 04 February 2016 - 05:25 PM, said:

So I'm guessing that it's not a coincidence that the two Sonic recolours are the same colours as Tails and Knuckles? :V

I'm guessing it's not a coincidence that the two Sonic recolours are the same colours as Ray and Mighty.

Turns out primary colours are a thing.

#29 User is offline TimmiT 

Posted 04 February 2016 - 06:07 PM

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

View PostICEknight, on 04 February 2016 - 05:39 PM, said:

No, I mean it does show Sonic's pre-final design. The one which was used everywhere until his first spine was lowered (due to SoA feedback?). See here and notice how the top spine looks just like in the SegaSonic proto title screen. I believe that some assets made for promotional material had to actually be altered to reflect this change.

For all we know, development on SegaSonic may have been started shortly after Sonic 1's, before it became one of those two "not up to par" scrapped Sonic arcades mentioned in the article, only for it to be rescued and completed in 1992 because hey turns out that Sonic can sell anything. This would also explain the lack of badniks or any familiar elements and characters from the series, other than Sonic, Robotnik and the rings.

Then maybe the art guy just mistakenly drew the old Sonic or used outdated character model rules or something. It doesn't have to be an earlier build. The guy who posted this has more than enough credibility for me to believe that it's legit.

View PostDigitalDuck, on 04 February 2016 - 05:42 PM, said:

I'm guessing it's not a coincidence that the two Sonic recolours are the same colours as Ray and Mighty.

Turns out primary colours are a thing.

Welp.
This post has been edited by TimmiT: 04 February 2016 - 06:07 PM

#30 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 04 February 2016 - 06:32 PM

Hey chibisake, think you could please post sources in your news articles? =P

View PostTimmiT, on 04 February 2016 - 06:07 PM, said:

The guy who posted this has more than enough credibility for me to believe that it's legit.
I'm not doubting him. He may have been scammed or maybe he just bought it as a cool mod.
This post has been edited by ICEknight: 04 February 2016 - 06:45 PM

• 17 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users