don't click here

Sonic Adventure 2 Hacking

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Turbohog, Feb 20, 2012.

1. SF94

SF94

Tech Member
    Texture edits are quite easy to do. I've been able to do it successfully using a tool designed for Phantasy Star Online called VMT.

You just open it up, open up a PRS as "GC Format" (which is secretly just a GVM), export the textures as bitmaps, modify what you like, replace the textures within the file with the ones you changed (of course, when importing a texture, select "GC Format" after selecting a bitmap), save as "GC Format" (which should come out as a PRS, but just rename it to GVM), paste back into the SA2B root directory, and rebuild the disc image.

2. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    In, that thread I mention using VMT, But my problem is that the prs file becomes a lot larger than the original file, so it cannot be put back into the GC iso. How do you get around that?

3. SF94

SF94

Tech Member
    I don't really know, to be honest. Although it does come out a little bit larger, it's only by a few KB, so I haven't had any issues. Did you make sure everything was "GC format", or were you just working with large textures or something? O_o

4. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

Just to test I extracted a texture, didn't modify it, and attempted to put it back in. It was in GC format, I don't know why it was getting so large.

5. darkspines35

darkspines35

It's Easy Actually. No, seriously. Tech Member
    .V.
    Sanik Adevnt Casters
    Weird how you, qwertysonic, had issues. I've never had issues. I've also never worked with VMT. I just rip it directly from the files themselves. I've also never had an issue when rebuilding the iso of something being too large.

6. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

What did you use to rebuild the iso?

7. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Interesting. Have people hacked Sonic Adventure 2 enough before? I'm sure there are lots of secrets in the game we probably haven't discovered.

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I don't think so. SA2, Heroes, and Shadow have been left largely untouched IIRC

9. SF94

SF94

Tech Member
    I at least, use GCRebuilder. It's the only tool I could find that actually worked for me, but maybe I was doing something wrong.

10. Resiting urge to squee in fangasmic delight at the Super Sonic in Level images... not easy.

Totally watching this thread.

11. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    I wouldn't get too excited, these are model swaps, not like what you can get in SADXPC. You'd have to figure out how to get Super Sonic's model and textures loaded, and figure out how to activate the transformation. It might not be part of Sonic's code like it was in SA1. It might even have necessary code in the Finalhazard level file. And Super Sonic probably isn't coded to work in standard levels, so you'd end up flying around the level unable to properly interact with any gimmicks, or even crash the game when you touch them.

SADXPC was great for Super Sonic for three reasons:
    1. As a PC game, Cheat Engine and IDA Pro (with the decompiler) are excellent tools for reverse engineering and modifying the game.
    2. The way the port was set up, the model was always loaded into memory.
    3. The Perfect Chaos level worked in the same manner as the regular levels.

I'm not trying to say he's not doing anything interesting, but it's probably not going to be on the same level as Super Sonic in SADXPC or Heroes.

12. darkspines35

darkspines35

.V.
    Sanik Adevnt Casters
    I use GCRebuilder too. So I don't know what the issue could be.

And as far as editing like that goes MM, I've looked into editing Start.dol. And Dolphin has a debugger thankfully, so something could come of that too.

13. Thousand Pancake

Thousand Pancake

Being a food you put milk on and then eat in the m Member
    Not trying to be rude, but why didn't you use the Dreamcast version instead? It seems like it would be an easier version to hack, given that the DC is a much more open platform and thus more conducive to hacking. It also seems like the DC is an easier platform to emulate in spite of the odd graphics hardware, although I could just be spouting ignorant drivel.

14. SF94

SF94

Tech Member
    The problem is getting SA2 to even boot up again after modifying it and rebuilding the disc image. I've never been able to do it, and nor has anyone else I know (as far as I'm aware). Edit: And for whatever reason, it just isn't an issue with SA2B. It just kinda works.

15. Turbohog

Turbohog

Just thought I'd drop in and let you guys know that I've managed to extract the MLT files from Sonic Adventure successfully and convert them to wav. I've also got the menu sounds from SA2, but not the rest of the effects. Working on getting those working next...

16. Chemical Heat

Chemical Heat

Being the new guy is hard... Member
    Iceland
    None at the moment
    ..... We know. Super Sonic in SA2B is not designed for regular levels. But it's cool that we have his model in regular levels. :3

17. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Well it's good that you know that, but I'm sure there are people that don't. I'm just trying to stop people from jumping to conclusions and expecting the impossible/improbable. A futile exercise but I'm trying anyway.

On the topic of things that can actually happen: darkspines35, do you think you can figure out how to properly read SA2B models? Also, how about making a SCHG:Sonic Adventure 2/Model Format page (you seem to know more than I do)?

18. darkspines35

darkspines35

.V.
    Sanik Adevnt Casters
    Yeah man. I'll look into that stuff later today, got stuff going on right now. And I did start work on a MaxScript for the SA2B models. Have it reading the headers at this point, and I did have it processing models to a minor extent. I'll pull it out again here in a bit along with my notes and start a wiki page for it. The only question I have for it is whether you want it to be for both SA2 and SA2B or just SA2B. Oh, and just to make a big note. Something I did learn about the models in the past were that some nodes contained only vertex data and others would contain only face data. They were always related though, like one was the parent of the other. I'd have to look into it again to make sure.

19. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    It would be nice if you could get both on one page, and note where they are different, like the SA1 model format page does.

20. CrashSG32

CrashSG32

Australia
    Project Crash & Generations Hacking
    That's one of the most awesome hacks I've ever seen!
    From the first time I played SA2B I wanted to try and hack Super Sonic (even if it's just the model) into the normal stages. Super Sonic is my fav character, I love it when people hack him into normal stages :3
    As I already said in the comments, I'm waiting for a tutorial or a download =D

Sorry for the minor bump too, I found it too awesome to not say anything...