Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sega Model2 Emulation Thread - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

Sega Model2 Emulation Thread 32-bit Arcade Classics in HD! (Win only)

#1 User is offline biggestsonicfan 

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:15 AM

• Model2wannaB
  • Project:Formerly Sonic the Fighters
Greetings, if you're here, you might have some interest in ElSemi's Model2 emulator.

We've had threads on this emulator on the past but it has not received an update since 2014, so I would like to "update" it with this little tutorial.

For this tutorial, you will need the emulator linked above and DxWnd.

• Extract both the compressed emulator and DxWin to whatever directory you would like.
  • In the extracted emulator folder, edit "EMULATOR.INI" with Notepad or the text editor of your choice.
  • Under "[RomDirs]", put the location of your zipped ROM files, eg "Dir1=c:\Model2\roms".
  • Edit "FullScreenWidth" and "FullScreenHeight" to your desired 4:3 resolution but 16:9 resolution sizes will also work but are not recommended.
    Posted Image
  • Save and exit EMULATOR.ini.
  • Navigate to and run "DxWnd.exe" from the extracted DxWnd folder.
  • Click "Edit" and "Add"
  • Name the shortcut to the ROM you wish to load, EG "Fighting Vipers"
  • For both "Path" and "Launch" navigate to your emulator's exe (32-bit or multicpu 64-bit) and type the ROM name after the exe, EG "C:\m2emulator\emulator_multicpu.exe fvipers"
    Posted Image
  • Click the "Try" button and your game should launch, if you get errors, exit out try going back to step 2 and changing your ROM directory.
  • In the emulator, set the video resolution to "custom", then click "Switch to Fullscreen".
  • You should now have a high definition, windowed version of the emulator, ready for video capture (directx/game capture does not work, you must capture the window itself) or streaming!

It changes this: Posted Image

To this:
Posted Image

This is the only known method to play The House of the Dead in fullscreen and windowed resolutions without recalibrating the gun for each resolution. The results are super crisp and I imagine you can tweak some of DxWnd's settings to crank a few more graphics enhancements for some of the other games but leaving as-is is recommended.

I have been creating cheat codes for Model2 games, so if there are any requests, please let me know below and I will tell you if they can be done or not.

#2 User is offline Sir_mihael 

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:01 AM

• DON'T TRUST THIS MAN
This is great. I remember playing Sonic the Fighters on this Emulator, but the scaling options weren't too fantastic at the time - still, I was amazed that the game fully ran without any real issues (that I could spot).

Although I'm more of an accuracy fanboy who's usually a sucker for sticking to Native res without upscales, I gotta admit some games really benefit from a HD buff! Nice tutorial.

#3 User is offline biggestsonicfan 

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:56 PM

• Model2wannaB
  • Project:Formerly Sonic the Fighters

View PostSir_mihael, on 13 June 2018 - 09:01 AM, said:

This is great. I remember playing Sonic the Fighters on this Emulator, but the scaling options weren't too fantastic at the time - still, I was amazed that the game fully ran without any real issues (that I could spot).

Although I'm more of an accuracy fanboy who's usually a sucker for sticking to Native res without upscales, I gotta admit some games really benefit from a HD buff! Nice tutorial.

Trhough some LUA modification I did indeed find that the Model2 emulator under windowed circumstances does emulate at 1:1 scale. What is missing, however, is some way to render scanlines on the screen for a CRT effect.

From the documentation
int Video_CreateSurfaceFromFile(filename)
	Loads a image file (.png) as surface
	Returns a surface to use with ReleaseSurface and DrawSurface

Video_DrawSurface(surface,x,y)
	Draws a surface to the given position

Video_ReleaseSurface(surface)
	Release a loaded surface

Video_GetScreenSize()
	Returns screen size (width,height) pair

However I have yet to get anything but the Video_GetScreenSize() to draw anything on the screen.

EDIT: I managed to create a scanline overlay for the emulator and it looked great! But it crashes the emulator after so many frames. I am not sure what the author intended to do with this function but I do not believe it was tested in the way I was using it, which goes to show another oversight perhaps on this emulator and why the MAME team needs to step up to the Model2 plate.
This post has been edited by biggestsonicfan: 14 June 2018 - 07:28 AM

Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users