Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Levels & Items Art - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 115 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Levels & Items Art —Current goals: Chemical Plant and Aquatic Ruins—

#1696 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 28 February 2010 - 05:28 PM

• Wiki edits:18
QUOTE (MaximusDM @ Feb 28 2010, 04:58 PM)

That was tree I made a while back even though the lighting/shadows are giving off some funky stuff and the render is missing the top of the tree.
I would need to dig around for the file to find it again though.

Now there's the volume it lacked. smile.png

...Except for the trunk, for some reason?
This post has been edited by ICEknight: 28 February 2010 - 05:29 PM

#1697 User is offline Gambit 

Posted 28 February 2010 - 05:29 PM

• Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist
  • Project:Sonic 2 HD
  • Wiki edits:6
That tree was made last year around this time and just looking at that image I can already tell what the issues are with it. Perspective is really weird.

#1698 User is offline MaximusDM 

Posted 28 February 2010 - 05:38 PM

• Sonic 2HD - Concept Artist
The trunk looks like shit, with the trunks I see on the ones other people have, it would be best if I just rendered without it and put them together.

#1699 User is offline nineko 

Posted 19 March 2010 - 08:29 PM

• I am the Holy Cat
  • Project:I... don't even know anymore :U
  • Wiki edits:5,251
<Gambit> feel like ripping a few things for me quick
<nineko> Sure no problem, I'm on my laptop atm though so I might need a bit more time
<Gambit> alright, well we need a complete rip of the hill top boss, the hill top rocks, and the ski lift platforms
Nothing to see here, just dropping stuff :p

More to come.

#1700 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 20 March 2010 - 11:07 AM

• Wiki edits:18
Here's something that couldn't be replied to, at the closed topic.

QUOTE (Gambit @ Mar 15 2010, 09:13 PM)

QUOTE (MaximusDM @ Mar 16 2010, 12:17 AM)
I don't know about that bush. Maybe its the style, but I think it might just be the ears. Give them back.

My suggestion:

I think those four "exploded" bits would give it a more varied look (while also keeping it closer to the original).
This post has been edited by ICEknight: 20 March 2010 - 11:09 AM

#1701 User is offline Gambit 

Posted 20 March 2010 - 12:30 PM

The issue I can see already is that those bits just look like they're floating there for no reason. Yeah they're close to the bush, but they're really disjointed. If anything is going to be added back onto the top sides it'll have more substance than that so it all feels like one piece instead of a piece with some little bits floating around it. Actually, one of the reasons I left those off was because they didn't look like they did much for the design overall. It looked to me like the super complex shading on the bush everywhere else was the star of the show, which is part of what inspired the diamond shapes on each section.

Here's a good comparison shot for the original and new bushes.

#1702 User is offline steveswede 

Posted 20 March 2010 - 01:12 PM

• Project:Saerching for Google alternatives

while I am starting to really like this. The thing that bugs me is that it appears to be like half a sphere. It's like the back side that is not facing us is missing. I also think it would look better if the chequered pattern blocks were connected some how with roots from the branch inside the bush. Like if they were going diagonally across the blocks so the branches don't go over the gaps. The roots wouldn't have to be thick. But it would give the bush structure if roots were there.

#1703 User is offline test-object 

Posted 20 March 2010 - 01:46 PM

• By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea I had this effect on you.
  • Wiki edits:1
QUOTE (nineko @ Mar 20 2010, 02:29 AM)
Ehm.. well, I don't know whether we need to continue with handing on remasters, seeing the closed project and stuff, but I really felt like making this rock. Don't question it.

Also, still acting in the La Traviata musical.
This post has been edited by test-object: 20 March 2010 - 05:26 PM

#1704 User is offline Canned Karma 

Posted 20 March 2010 - 03:13 PM

• S2HD Project Manager
  • Project:Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
You might want to read my last post in the General Project Thread before it got locked T.O. wink.png

#1705 User is offline Hamneggs 

Posted 20 March 2010 - 03:31 PM

• Official Breakfast of S2HD
  • Project:Networked lighting
QUOTE (ICEknight @ Mar 20 2010, 10:07 AM)
Here's something that couldn't be replied to, at the closed topic.

My suggestion:

I think those four "exploded" bits would give it a more varied look (while also keeping it closer to the original).

QUOTE (Gambit @ Mar 20 2010, 11:30 AM)
The issue I can see already is that those bits just look like they're floating there for no reason. Yeah they're close to the bush, but they're really disjointed. If anything is going to be added back onto the top sides it'll have more substance than that so it all feels like one piece instead of a piece with some little bits floating around it. Actually, one of the reasons I left those off was because they didn't look like they did much for the design overall. It looked to me like the super complex shading on the bush everywhere else was the star of the show, which is part of what inspired the diamond shapes on each section.

That looks like something STRAIGHT out of Ratchet and Clank. Even if it does look a bit retar-tar, I like it!

This post has been edited by Hamneggs: 20 March 2010 - 03:32 PM

#1706 User is offline test-object 

Posted 20 March 2010 - 03:50 PM

• By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea I had this effect on you.
QUOTE (Canned Karma @ Mar 20 2010, 09:13 PM)
You might want to read my last post in the General Project Thread before it got locked T.O. wink.png

I'm sorry, I just have this immense love/hate relationship with HTZ that I want out of my system : (
I love it as a stage, but I hate it for its lazy design.

#1707 User is offline nineko 

Posted 20 March 2010 - 04:51 PM

• I am the Holy Cat
  • Project:I... don't even know anymore :U
  • Wiki edits:5,251
So Vincent asked me to rip "the flames". I'm not sure if I got his request right, so I replied to his PM asking for more details. My initial guess was that you needed a clean rip of the lava:

4x version (1268kB)

#1708 User is offline Gambit 

Posted 20 March 2010 - 05:06 PM

I think he was referring to the rest of the boss frames that you sent me. I'll have to finish cutting those out.

#1709 User is offline ancara 

Posted 20 March 2010 - 05:18 PM

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=qrj7rr&s=5

My WIP of the ski lift thingy. Got the left vine in a somewhat-decent state, but'll likely need much more work.

This took about 2-3 hours to do what I did so far (and once again it was in paint, since I can work pretty well with it). All the shades of each color I worked with are there if ya wanna know what I used or wanna mess with it yourself.

I'm gonna continue with this later, due to eyes hurting from working on it (the green....the GREEN.... ;_; ), but until then tell me what ya think. I'd love to hear any critisism that could help me fix it up while it's still like this, ok? :3

#1710 User is offline Hamneggs 

Posted 20 March 2010 - 05:45 PM

• Official Breakfast of S2HD
  • Project:Networked lighting
QUOTE (ancara @ Mar 20 2010, 04:18 PM)
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=qrj7rr&s=5

My WIP of the ski lift thingy. Got the left vine in a somewhat-decent state, but'll likely need much more work.

This took about 2-3 hours to do what I did so far (and once again it was in paint, since I can work pretty well with it). All the shades of each color I worked with are there if ya wanna know what I used or wanna mess with it yourself.

I'm gonna continue with this later, due to eyes hurting from working on it (the green....the GREEN.... ;_; ), but until then tell me what ya think. I'd love to hear any critisism that could help me fix it up while it's still like this, ok? :3

That looks like good progress, but two quarrels I have:

1: Don't keep it so true. Add flair to it. There's a lot more room for detail now that it's in hd.

2: Paint simply won't cut it. It has to be in vector form, so what you give can only be used as a concept piece.

• 115 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users