Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Earthworm Jim CD Sample Replacement - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

Earthworm Jim CD Sample Replacement Now with 50% less prior research!

#1 User is offline Shalpp 

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:46 AM

• WHAT A HIT -- HE'LL REMEMBER THAT NUMBER
  • Project:some sonic cd video for a channel that's not gonna kick off lmfao
So I'm sure everyone knows Earthworm Jim and how awesome of a game it was. When the MegaCD was released, Shiny decided to make a version of the game with slightly enhanced animations, delicious CDDA music, and some extra parts to levels (or an extra level altogether). This was also released on the PC with a slightly better color palette, and higher quality samples when compared to the MegaCD version. I have no idea why, but the samples in EWJ:SE for the MCD sound like complete garbage; the voices and a handful of sound effects sound like they were recorded straight from the MegaDrive original and compressed even more (including some PSG white-noise explosions), even though the MCD is capable of outputting PCM audio at a decent rate. Meanwhile the Windows version was blessed with much higher-quality voice clips and select sound effects. I'm completely inexperienced when it comes to ROM hacking so I'm not entirely sure of what's possible and what's not, but would something as conceptually simple as replacing audio samples from the MCD original with the Windows version be feasible? I feel like the MCD version could've been a slightly more enhanced version had the samples been taken care of differently.

Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users