Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Mania: Hacking Discussion - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 47 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic Mania: Hacking Discussion Will update when news comes out

#631 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 06 April 2018 - 02:51 PM

• Wiki edits:18
Wow, that's really impressive. Maybe the game should get Steam Workshop support when Plus comes...

#632 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 12 April 2018 - 08:15 AM

• Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10

What a weird level to port to Mania. The mobile version of Unleashed's Windmill Isle.

#633 User is offline REPO Man 

Posted 12 April 2018 - 11:49 AM

• Wiki edits:1
Gorgeous!

Please say this is the beginning of a Sonic Mania TC based on Unleashed.

Personally I liked Unleashed (though Colors is the best 3D Sonic IMHO), save for the Werehog levels.

But... I could see the Werehog levels adapted into a Ristar hack.

#634 User is offline Chris Highwind 

Posted 13 April 2018 - 05:40 PM

• Project:Slacking
  • Wiki edits:13
Call me crazy, but...I'm actually looking forward to that mod being finished.

#635 User is offline Drex 

Posted 13 April 2018 - 10:10 PM

• Lazy perfectionist
The background may be a little ass, but I've always thought that the mobile game had very usable tiles. Almost makes me want create a proper background for it (I'm no background artist, though)

#636 User is offline TheSillyMoose 

Posted 06 May 2018 - 05:22 PM

As far as Mania hacking goes, I've been wanting to get into it myself, mostly for level creation and character mods. I don't really have any experience in hacking though, so if someone could point me in the direction of a post or a thread that could help me get started, I would really appreciate it!

#637 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 06 May 2018 - 05:59 PM

• Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339
Well, they have a Discord. Other than that, I guess there's some stuff on GameBanana.

#638 User is offline TheSillyMoose 

Posted 06 May 2018 - 07:33 PM

Gotcha. Thank you!

#639 User is offline Axanery 

Posted 09 May 2018 - 11:56 PM

• Project:Various Sonic Mania Mods

View PostKharen, on 29 January 2018 - 06:36 PM, said:

Possibly a stupid question, but I wanted to ask the people who have been making the various tools and everything.

Given the way that Mania is set up, would it be possible at some point in the future to add levels instead of replacing current ones? From what I've seen, one of the things that messes up custom levels is the transition cutscenes beforehand. If a mod was used that removed those so the levels were just directly one after the other, additional levels could be added pretty much seamlessly. (Also, I think it would be awesome to just slot in a whole bunch of custom levels all at once, and have something like a 50-level marathon Classic-style Sonic game)

Anyways, is this something that could potentially be done, or does something like the level format or save-file format prevent this?

This is totally possible via editing the gameconfig to add more "nodes". However, we currently don't have that much knowledge about properly editing the level order, so it can cause issues. The 8-bit Sonic 2 Revamped mod uses this method of removing and adding nodes.

#640 User is offline Kharen 

Posted 11 May 2018 - 12:48 AM

Oh, I had almost forgotten about having asked that. In that case, mind if I ask a follow-up question?

Is there a way to end a level without a boss fight? Every video that I've seen that's featured a custom level has had the level end with a refight against one of the bosses, or some sort of custom boss that's just an Eggmobile moving back and forth in a very dangerous arena.

I was thinking maybe using whatever is used in the Time Trials mode to end the level, but I don't know if those can be used in the main story mode. If we rearranged the bosses to work like Sonic 1 and 2 did, and only have a single boss at the end of each Zone instead of at the end of each Act, even without any additional bosses being made, you could expand the game to quite a few levels without it feeling unnatural and empty.

#641 User is offline KingofHarts 

Posted 11 May 2018 - 01:31 AM

• Project:Project Sonic 8x16
  • Wiki edits:1

View PostKharen, on 11 May 2018 - 12:48 AM, said:

Oh, I had almost forgotten about having asked that. In that case, mind if I ask a follow-up question?

Is there a way to end a level without a boss fight? Every video that I've seen that's featured a custom level has had the level end with a refight against one of the bosses, or some sort of custom boss that's just an Eggmobile moving back and forth in a very dangerous arena.

I was thinking maybe using whatever is used in the Time Trials mode to end the level, but I don't know if those can be used in the main story mode. If we rearranged the bosses to work like Sonic 1 and 2 did, and only have a single boss at the end of each Zone instead of at the end of each Act, even without any additional bosses being made, you could expand the game to quite a few levels without it feeling unnatural and empty.

I could've sworn that I saw videos that had levels without bosses. I'd imagine there is a flag that determines if a boss is present. IIRC Sonic 2 IOS had that and cleared the flag for multiplayer.

#642 User is offline jubbalub 

Posted 11 May 2018 - 03:43 PM

• W E L C O M E T O T H E N E X T L E V E L
  • Project:Project Sanctuary, Sonic Mania: The Misfits Pack
There doesn't have to be a boss for the level to end, no. You can just remove the boss and place a stationary signpost/capsule and the level should end like normal.

#643 User is offline Marcus101RR 

Posted 12 May 2018 - 01:19 AM

• Provisional
  • Project:http://leafosgaming.wixsite.com/leafos
If someone actually made Sonic Mania Heroes (Sonic Classic Heroes) + All the Sonic 1, 2, 3, CD Level Pack in one mod, I would pay them $60.00 for it. Holy crap, seeing some of the other levels from sonic in this is really nice. I honestly thought when I first saw Sonic Mania that it literally be a coliseum of previous sonic levels from all the games that you can just go through revamped, but then I got disappointed that it was only a few. Glad to see the modding scene isn't being handicapped by greedy sega companies lol

#644 User is offline LJSTAR 

Posted 12 May 2018 - 01:42 AM

Mania modding is fun.

(Also, Mario's ground-pound in CPZ's chemicals isn't quite a good idea)

#645 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 12 May 2018 - 07:21 AM

• Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10

View PostMarcus101RR, on 12 May 2018 - 01:19 AM, said:

If someone actually made Sonic Mania Heroes (Sonic Classic Heroes) + All the Sonic 1, 2, 3, CD Level Pack in one mod, I would pay them $60.00 for it. Holy crap, seeing some of the other levels from sonic in this is really nice. I honestly thought when I first saw Sonic Mania that it literally be a coliseum of previous sonic levels from all the games that you can just go through revamped, but then I got disappointed that it was only a few. Glad to see the modding scene isn't being handicapped by greedy sega companies lol

If someone made what you described I'd pay $100 for that.

• 47 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users