Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: The Current Sonic timeline - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

The Current Sonic timeline Only the most relevant titles added

#16 User is offline XRick 

Posted 01 January 2019 - 07:50 PM

• Wiki edits:2
Hence the second line of my previous post.
It also kinda pisses me off whenever Iizuka simply evades any question about a possible timeline of the games.

#17 User is offline Hitlersaurus Christ 

Posted 01 January 2019 - 09:09 PM

• @gayanimedad
  • Project:Snoic Generatons 2017
I don't think he evades questions about the timeline so much as gives vague answers because Sega only has a vague concept of a timeline. I think he also doesn't want to ruin things for the fans who have fun making theories and fanon.
This post has been edited by Hitlersaurus Christ: 01 January 2019 - 09:10 PM

#18 User is online Dark Sonic 

Posted 01 January 2019 - 09:26 PM

• Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10

View PostMaster Emerald, on 01 January 2019 - 07:47 PM, said:

View PostXRick, on 01 January 2019 - 07:04 PM, said:

@Master Emerald, as far as I know the handheld games tend to make up a timeline of it's own, parallel to the main console games.
This franchise has that quite bothersome element, the fact that you have many games that could connect to each other, but still have loose knots hard to tie.

The problem is that Colors DS was referenced in Lost World (console) and Forces as its exclusive wisps are now common (Void and Burst).

And starting with Mania and Sonic Forces, the timeline from handheld/console was unified.

Can Fighters be an alternative classic timeline version of Sonic 4? The plot is kind of the same in a way just told out differently. It would also establish bean, bark, and fang in said universe.

Also SegaSonic arcade would have to exist in the classic universe to account for Mighty and Ray.

Chaotix should also exist for similar reasons.

Those 3 games could be placed, yes, but their storyline doesn't make any sense. And yes, you know what I mean. Chaotix and Sonic the Fighters Specially. It almost seems like an alternate dimension or something. Placing Sonic CD on a timeline is alredy painful due to the timestones0. But, admitting Sonic deafeated enemies through boxing just before taking Eggman's Death Egg 2 is just too much to handle :/

I would actually like to know where would you place SegaSonic as Ray and Mighty went unreferenced for a long time.

SegaSonic I would consider being either soon before or soon after Sonic 1. Tails wasnt around yet so he wouldn't be able to help Sonic out and Eggman was temporarily able to catch Sonic which somewhat implies that Sonic isnt at his best yet. After they all got freed from Eggmans grasps they may have just gone their separate ways. The only reason they came back to Mania was because Eggman caught them again.

Alternatively one could argue though that Mighty and Ray don't actually exist because they could be phantom ruby illusions like the hooligans. But that's no fun :v:

I actually think Archie lore placed a very, VERY loose connection to the game as very early in Sonic's lore too.

#19 User is offline biggestsonicfan 

Posted 01 January 2019 - 10:39 PM

• Model2wannaB
  • Project:Formerly Sonic the Fighters
My sig has excellent StF fodder in it, which I keep for satire, but I don't think any version of a timeline should include StF. Why the Death Egg II existed and why it was set to explode in 15 seconds when you defeat Metal is odd enough. Perhaps in an AU, Sonic got to the Death Egg II, but did not defeat the final mech Eggman, and both perished.

#20 User is offline BlackHole 

Posted 02 January 2019 - 04:38 AM

• You're going to need MORE than help.
  • Project:Sprites for Cybernetic Outbreak
Considering the damage Sonic did to the last Death Egg (and this one, if we take Sonic 4 to be a prequel to Sonic the Fighters), it might be Robotnik just being pragmatic and detonating the place as it's getting destroyed either way and this way might take Sonic with it.

Regardless, I still take the timeline to be one long one, regardless of managerial decisions.

#21 User is offline XRick 

Posted 02 January 2019 - 08:32 AM

• Wiki edits:2
If you guys don't mind, I'd like to share with you my own vision of the "Modern" timeline, if possible, since @Master Emerald's "Classic" Timeline seems to be nicely fitting.

SONIC 1
SONIC CD
SONIC 2
SONIC 3K
SONIC ADVENTURE
SONIC ADVENTURE 2
SONIC HEROES (as much as it pains me to name it here)
SHADOW THE HEDGEHOG
SONIC 06 (despite resetting itself at the end)
SONIC UNLEASHED
SONIC COLORS
SONIC GENERATIONS
SONIC LOST WORLD
SONIC FORCES

Battle & Advance 3, apparently placed after SHADOW, could still exist and Cream could still be counted through those two and Heroes.
Me being the kind of Sonic Fan that liked the games with more of a proper plot, HEROES and all games from COLORS ahead felt pretty underwhelming to me plot-wise.
Gameplay-wise, I liked GENERATIONS a lot. In UNLEASHED's case, I disliked them going full cartoon style for characters, after the realistic attempt in 06.

Like I mentioned before, to me, the handheld games are like a variant of the main console games, hence making it kinda tricky to place games like the Advance, Rush and Rivals series into the Main Timeline.

And I'm not eager to count SONIC 4 since it became quite the mess...in many ways...
This post has been edited by XRick: 02 January 2019 - 08:34 AM

#22 User is offline BlackHole 

Posted 02 January 2019 - 08:57 AM

• You're going to need MORE than help.
  • Project:Sprites for Cybernetic Outbreak
I suppose I'll write up a timeline for the modern games. If anyone remembers the classic timeline thread, you'll know why this might take a bit, especially since it'll tack onto the end of that.

#23 User is offline Xilla 

Posted 02 January 2019 - 02:55 PM

• No promotion for you, laddy.
Personally I've always seen the 8-bit Sonic 1 as an epilogue to the 16-bit one, with Sonic trying to track down the Chaos Emeralds that he'd just collected and to clean up the remains of Robotnik's influence from South Island. After that the 8-bit games just spin off into thier own thing.

#24 User is offline Pengi 

Posted 02 January 2019 - 09:07 PM

It's probably best to assume that the games all take place in order of release, except when we're told or shown otherwise. Of course, it's now been established that Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic are separate universes, but we also know that Modern Sonic has experienced adventures similar to Sonic 1-3&K and CD. The Japanese release of Sonic & Tails 2 (Sonic Triple Trouble) seemingly established the Game Gear series as an alternate universe as well, by describing Knuckles as a stranger to Sonic. With all this in mind, it should be something like this:

CLASSIC SONIC

Sonic the Hedgehog
SegaSonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog CD
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
[Sonic Generations]
Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles
Sonic Mania
[Sonic Forces]
Sonic Mania Plus (Encore Mode)
Chaotix
Sonic the Fighters
Sonic 3D: Flickies' Island
Sonic R

The Sonic Mania Introduction Manual (has anyone scanned this?) implies that Mania is the first time Sonic has battled Eggman since S3&K. As such, Sonic CD would have to take place between Sonic 1 and 2. The Art of Sonic Mania confirms that the events of the SegaSonic arcade game have already happened, so that would take place between Sonic 1 and 2 as well. There are conflicting reports of whether SegaSonic was released June '93 or October '93 (Sonic CD was released September '93) - I've put SegaSonic before CD, but it could be the other way around.

Sonic Generations is a tricky one. Classic Sonic and Classic Tails already know each other, so from their perspective it's after Sonic 2. Classic Eggman was abducted from the final battle of Sonic 2. It seems that everyone was returned to where they came from after the end of the game, and the Death Egg crashing into Angel Island played out as it did before. It's best not to think too hard about it.

Sonic Spinball was kind of a loose tie-in with the DiC cartoon shows, so I've ignored it.

GAME GEAR SONIC

Sonic the Hedgehog (GG/MS)
Tails Adventures
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (GG/MS)
Sonic the Hedgehog Chaos
Sonic Drift
Sonic the Hedgehog Triple Trouble
Sonic Drift 2
Tails' Sky Patrol
Sonic Labyrinth
Sonic Blast

Just release order, except for Tails Adventures which is set before Sonic and Tails met (it could even take place prior to Sonic 1).

MODERN SONIC

Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog CD
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles

Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode I / Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode Metal
Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode II
Sonic Adventure
Sonic Shuffle
Sonic Adventure 2 (first Shadow)
Sonic Advance
Sonic Advance 2
Sonic Pinball Party

Sonic Heroes (Shadow returns with amnesia)
Shadow the Hedgehog (Shadow regains his memories)
Sonic Battle (Shadow has his memories)
Sonic Advance 3
Sonic Riders
Sonic the Hedgehog [2006] (first Silver, timeline resets)
Sonic Rush
Sonic Rush Adventure

Sonic Rivals (first Silver in reset timeline)
Sonic and the Secret Rings
Sonic Rivals 2
Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity
Sonic Unleashed
Sonic and the Black Knight
Sonic Free Riders
Sonic Colours
Sonic Generations
Sonic Lost World
Sonic Forces

I've colour coded this one according to sub-series (orange: classic, red: core platformer, blue: Nintendo handheld, green: Riders, grey: Rivals, brown: story book, pink: Shuffle).

It might be best to think of Sonic 1-3&K and CD as having "loosely" happened in Modern Sonic's world, to account for certain differences between the Modern and Classic universes (the location of the Master Emerald, Amy's age and attire, etc.).

It's all fairly solid and linear, except for the Rush/2006/Rivals mess with Blaze/Silver/Eggman Nega. Sonic doesn't interact with Blaze in Sonic 2006, and he doesn't knowingly interact with Eggman Nega in Rivals 1 and 2, so it's hard to place them. The way I see it is, Blaze seals herself in another dimension at the end of Silver's story in Sonic 2006, and isn't seen in the last story. I believe this was an awkward attempt to serve as a prequel to Sonic Rush. Then the timeline is reset, but Blaze is disconnected from Sonic's dimension at that point, so she is permanently erased from it after the reset, and tethered to her new dimension. It doesn't make complete sense, but it's something. Then the Sonic Rush games happen with Eggman and Eggman Nega teaming up, Nega almost killing them both at the end of the second. Then the Rivals games happen, Eggman and Eggman Nega are now enemies, he reveals himself to be Eggman's descendant and Silver meets Sonic and co for the first time after the timeline reset. Eventually, the DS version of Sonic Colours happens, Blaze and Silver finally meet, but have a strange feeling they've teamed up before "somewhere, some time".

Sonic Pocket Adventure is a bit of an odd duck. It doesn't really fit between SA1 and SA2, because Tails is supposed to have been awarded the yellow Chaos Emerald by the mayor of Station Square between games. There's also the strange detail of Knuckles protecting the purple Chaos Emerald, on the planet's surface, and fighting Sonic for no discernible reason. If it has to fit somewhere, it can be before Sonic Adventure, or before Sonic Advance.

I've ignored Sonic Chronicles, since it ended on a massive unresolved cliffhanger, and according to Sonic Team, Knuckles is still considered to be the last echidna. I think it's safe to assume it's non-canon at this point.

#25 User is offline Hitlersaurus Christ 

Posted 02 January 2019 - 10:02 PM

• @gayanimedad
  • Project:Snoic Generatons 2017
Wildcard: Nothing in Sonic 1 suggests it's the beginning of the timeline, so CD, SegaSonic, etc could technically come before it.

#26 User is offline Fadaway 

Posted 02 January 2019 - 10:16 PM

CD is a time travel romp anyway, so fit where needed.*

#27 User is offline rata 

Posted 02 January 2019 - 10:30 PM

• Project:Trying to be useful somehow.
He can't spindash, so it has to be before Sonic CD. :specialed:

#28 User is offline DigitalDuck 

Posted 03 January 2019 - 06:12 AM

• Arriving four years late.
  • Project:TurBoa, S1RL
Okay, let's copy the previous post I made when this topic came around and add a few things that have changed since then:

Sonic 1 (8-bit) and Sonic 1 (16-bit) - shared by both Classic and Modern Universes:
Spoiler

Tails' Skypatrol - shared by both Classic and Modern Universes:
Spoiler

Sonic 2 8-bit - shared by both Classic and Modern Universes:
Spoiler

SegaSonic the Hedgehog - shared by both Classic and Modern Universes:
Spoiler

Sonic 2 16-bit - shared by both Classic and Modern Universes:
Spoiler

Sonic 3K - shared by both Classic and Modern Universes:
Spoiler

Sonic Generations (Classic) - Classic Universe only
Spoiler

Sonic & Tails - shared by both Classic and Modern Universes:
Spoiler

Sonic 3K (Knuckles) - shared by both Classic and Modern Universes:
Spoiler

Sonic & Tails 2 - shared by both Classic and Modern Universes:
Spoiler

Sonic 3D - shared by both Classic and Modern Universes:
Spoiler

Sonic CD - shared by both Classic and Modern Universes:
Spoiler

Tails Adventure - shared by both Classic and Modern Universes:
Spoiler

Sonic the Fighters - Classic Universe only:
Spoiler

Sonic 4 - Modern Universe only:
Spoiler

Sonic Mania - Classic Universe only:
Spoiler

Sonic Forces (Classic) - Classic Universe only:
Spoiler

Chaotix - Classic Universe only:
Spoiler

Sonic Mania Adventures - Classic Universe only:
Spoiler

The rest of the games are Modern Universe only and order is effectively game order starting from Sonic Pocket Adventure. I'm not counting many spinoffs in this as they should be considered non-canon.

Classic Universe:
Sonic 1 (8-bit) and Sonic 1 (16-bit)
Tails' Skypatrol
Sonic 2 8-bit
SegaSonic the Hedgehog
Sonic 2 16-bit
Sonic 3K
Sonic Generations (Classic)
Sonic & Tails
Sonic 3K (Knuckles)
Sonic & Tails 2
Sonic 3D
Sonic CD
Tails Adventure
Sonic the Fighters
Sonic Mania
Sonic Forces (Classic)
Chaotix
Sonic Mania Adventures

Modern Universe:
Sonic 1 (8-bit) and Sonic 1 (16-bit)
Tails' Skypatrol
Sonic 2 8-bit
SegaSonic the Hedgehog
Sonic 2 16-bit
Sonic 3K
Sonic & Tails
Sonic 3K (Knuckles)
Sonic & Tails 2
Sonic 3D
Sonic CD
Tails Adventure
Sonic 4
Sonic Pocket Adventure
Sonic Adventure
Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic Advance
Sonic Advance 2
Sonic Heroes
Shadow the Hedgehog
Sonic Battle
Sonic Advance 3
Sonic '06
Sonic Rush
Sonic Rush Adventure
Sonic Unleashed
Sonic Colours
Sonic Generations
Sonic Lost World
Sonic Forces

Spinball, Labyrinth, Blast, Shuffle, Pinball Party, and Drift are non-canon; Riders, Rivals, and storybook games are AU (or also non-canon).

Sonic '06 is of course the story of how Blaze ended up in another dimension, and still exists in canon despite not quite happening (the presence of Sonic in Soleanna afterwards is a testament to the fact it's not completely erased).

TL;DR: Generations caused Classic Universe Sonic to focus on the air dash, this developed into the Drop Dash; Peelout is a Modern Universe thing, eventually developed into the Boost. Minus Peelout but plus experience, Classic Universe Sonic was more direct in fights against Metal Sonic and caused more damage against him than his Modern Universe counterpart, massively diverging the timelines and creating the Phantom Ruby as a result.
This post has been edited by DigitalDuck: 03 January 2019 - 06:14 AM

#29 User is offline Pengi 

Posted 03 January 2019 - 08:41 AM

Tails’ Sky Patrol isn't a prequel. The Japanese Sonic Labyrinth and Tails’ Sky Patrol manuals strongly imply that they happen around the same time.

The JP Sonic 2 Mega Drive manual tells of how Tails first met Sonic on West Side Island, so the 8-bit Sonic 2 can't really be set before it.

Sonic Rivals has to be canon, since it explains how Sonic and Silver came to know each other after the events of Sonic 2006 were reset.

#30 User is offline Adamis 

Posted 03 January 2019 - 09:51 AM

• Gimme waffles!
  • Project:Lammy and "Fafnir"
  • Wiki edits:53
Isn't Tails Adventure set before Tails met Sonic, or am I remembering wrong ?

• 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users