Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic the Hedgehog's Way Past Cool Panel (Comic-Con '18) - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 5 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Sonic the Hedgehog's Way Past Cool Panel (Comic-Con '18) News on upcoming games and surprise announcements. July 19.

#31 User is offline Laura 

Posted 19 July 2018 - 05:11 PM

• Brightened Eyes
They didn't really reveal much, as was to be expected.

#32 User is online 360 

Posted 19 July 2018 - 05:50 PM

• Light Vision Overdrive
  • Project:Sonic Neon

View PostLaura, on 19 July 2018 - 05:11 PM, said:

Yeah I probably over hyped this a little so apologies for doing so - as the posters that indicated this would be comic book focused with maybe just a little bit of gaming news were right. Lots of comic book announcements so amazing if you're an IDW fan but only a new track confirmed for Team Sonic Racing as the only gaming related news. The Q&A didn't reveal too much either with the only remarkable things being that Iizuka said the Chao Garden could return in a future game and Ray and Mighty would only be in Classic games - and not Modern ones. So not really too much interesting new info.

At a guess Sega will probably focus on Team Sonic Racing for the remainder of the year - though I'm hoping more news arises about other stuff before the end of 2018.
This post has been edited by 360: 19 July 2018 - 05:51 PM

#33 User is offline saintminya 

Posted 19 July 2018 - 07:20 PM

• Project:music production, mental archiving.
That's dissapointing. I really wish they would handle press releases better in the future so as to not be misleading. Ice course does look cool though.
This post has been edited by saintminya: 19 July 2018 - 07:21 PM

#34 User is offline HEDGESMFG 

Posted 19 July 2018 - 10:21 PM

View Post360, on 19 July 2018 - 05:50 PM, said:

View PostLaura, on 19 July 2018 - 05:11 PM, said:

Yeah I probably over hyped this a little so apologies for doing so - as the posters that indicated this would be comic book focused with maybe just a little bit of gaming news were right. Lots of comic book announcements so amazing if you're an IDW fan but only a new track confirmed for Team Sonic Racing as the only gaming related news. The Q&A didn't reveal too much either with the only remarkable things being that Iizuka said the Chao Garden could return in a future game and Ray and Mighty would only be in Classic games - and not Modern ones. So not really too much interesting new info.

At a guess Sega will probably focus on Team Sonic Racing for the remainder of the year - though I'm hoping more news arises about other stuff before the end of 2018.

Well, Classic games at least implies they could come back again, and says there could be more than one.

WHY Izuka refuses to bring back the missing 5 (Mighty, Rey, Nack, Bark, Bean) I will never figure out... but it's not like the modern era is short on characters either.

Now I kind of wonder what Classic Rouge, Shadow, Big, and Cream would look like. Oh dear.

#35 User is online Sir_mihael 

Posted 20 July 2018 - 03:16 AM

• DON'T TRUST THIS MAN
It does seem a bit odd. Out of the Modern Sonic cast, (barring Charmy), all the original crew have been well received. Meanwhile, characters created exclusively for the Modern era haven't 100% gone down so well with people.

Does Iizuka just want to keep focus away from bringing back more old characters for the sake of pandering (at the expense of moving forward with original new characters)?, or does he legitimately think that people wouldn't enjoy seeing Mighty or Fang in a modern title?

#36 User is offline saintminya 

Posted 20 July 2018 - 08:53 AM

• Project:music production, mental archiving.
Perhaps Iizuka thinks that Mighty and Ray (and other classic heroes) should remain in the classic series to avoid overlap? At this rate, if the Chaotix come back as playable, it'd clearly be in a modern game. If Ray and Mighty were in said game, they really wouldn't be much different than Charmy and Vector, would they?

Maybe that's overthinking, and maybe he just doesn't want to over-clutter the modern cast. At any rate, I'd rather the classic players be in the classic series anyway. (Come on playable Fang and Amy in Mania 2...)

#37 User is online Dark Sonic 

Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:12 AM

• Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10
I'm all for keeping the Classic 5 in the Classic universe if it means that that universe can be fleshed out a bit more. The Modern universe is already pretty bloated and doesn't necessarily need more characters anyway, so why not give the Classic universe it's own flare?

#38 User is offline runde 

Posted 22 July 2018 - 09:13 AM

• Using Plan "B"...
  • Project:What was I was supposed to do again?
Now I kind of wonder what Classic Rouge, Shadow, Big, and Cream would look like. Oh dear.

EDIT: Three are covered for you!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
This post has been edited by runde: 23 July 2018 - 08:24 PM

#39 User is offline HP Zoner 

Posted 22 July 2018 - 09:50 AM

• Project:Crash Mania

View PostDark Sonic, on 20 July 2018 - 09:12 AM, said:

I'm all for keeping the Classic 5 in the Classic universe if it means that that universe can be fleshed out a bit more. The Modern universe is already pretty bloated and doesn't necessarily need more characters anyway, so why not give the Classic universe it's own flare?

Seconded. I still think making the classic stuff its own universe was one of the best decisions they made. Now we can have stuff like Mighty, Ray, Fang, and Super versions of all the heroes again without Iizuka losing sleep over it. Keeping the amount of characters shared between both universes to a minimum also gives them more of an identity.

The classic universe already has a very strong line-up too. There are plenty of characters both heroic and villainous, and they all have very distinct personalities.

#40 User is offline Dr. Mecha 

Posted 22 July 2018 - 11:48 PM

• Project:3d Models
I think the reason why Sonic Team separates the Sonic Series was because it was fractured already, so they might as well split the classic and the modern so they can pander to both crowds more easily.

#41 User is offline biggestsonicfan 

Posted 23 July 2018 - 01:55 AM

• Model2wannaB
  • Project:Formerly Sonic the Fighters

View PostHEDGESMFG, on 19 July 2018 - 10:21 PM, said:

WHY Izuka refuses to bring back the missing 5 (Mighty, Rey, Nack, Bark, Bean) I will never figure out... but it's not like the modern era is short on characters either.

Bean and Bark theory time since the Archie comics are done and I kinda feel like it's time I throw this out there.

Bean and Bark were specifically created by AM2's Masahiro Sugiyama, who also was Honey/Candy's character designer, to be included as new characters specifically for the Sonic the Fighters arcade title. Sonic and crew never made it in any fighting games on the Saturn, but Bean and Bark made several cameos in other AM2 games on both consoles and in the arcade? Why? I'm sure it has to do with licensing. I'm fairly certain AM2 got to push the envelope a lot with hidden features and content if all the wild extras like PEPSIMAN in the home console edition of Fighting Vipers (Okay, yes, Picky had a licensed PEPSI skateboard), I would not be surprised if Sugiyama or someone at AM2, Yu Suzuki or maybe Hiroshi Kataoka, might have helped preserve the original content, including some licensing rights to Bean and Bark. What transpired between the mysterious "surprise" announcement of a Saturn port of StF to Kataoka and the rest of AM2 and the release of Sonic Gems collection to see Bean and Bark back on console is a mystery to me, but I believe the Sega AGES collection for PS2 holds a clue, but that would be getting way off topic.

As an aside, Ray and Mighty were never usually discussed until AFTER the posters in Generations I think. Bean and Bark had a strikingly similar revitalization with the Archie comics with Ian's massive love for the arcade fighter. But until these events, I had never heard close to any love for these characters.
This post has been edited by biggestsonicfan: 23 July 2018 - 01:58 AM

#42 User is offline Laughingcow 

Posted 23 July 2018 - 02:29 AM

I think one of the problems with bringing back old characters is that after you bring them back then what? What is their purpose? We've seen in Generations, Lost World, and Forces that the extended cast amounts to nothing more than cheerleaders. Hell, bloody Silver comes back in Forces and gets bodied by Infinite (why a psychic doesn't have immunity to mindjacking I don't know) which is what you can expect to happen should any of the old cast gets brought back. Just look at the Chaotix in Sonic Heroes, might as well not be there.

We're still riding high on Mania but be realistic. Sonic Team has nothing for them to do. At best they might show up in some Sonic Jam type hub world but that's it.

#43 User is offline Blue Spikeball 

Posted 23 July 2018 - 02:40 AM

View Postbiggestsonicfan, on 23 July 2018 - 01:55 AM, said:

As an aside, Ray and Mighty were never usually discussed until AFTER the posters in Generations I think. Bean and Bark had a strikingly similar revitalization with the Archie comics with Ian's massive love for the arcade fighter. But until these events, I had never heard close to any love for these characters.

Well, I recall people complaining about Mighty's absense when they brought back the Chaotix in Heroes. But other than that, yeah, fans weren't so hot on Mighty and Ray. It seemed like people cared about Mighty only because the Chaotix felt incomplete without him. I recall him being referred to "Sonic with a wig", and Ray as "poor man's Tails", years ago. TBH, I find it hard to disagree with these assessments; I've always felt that they had bland designs, and Mighty seems to alternate between being a Sonic clone and being just "the strong guy" (a role already filled by Knuckles).

Same for Bean and Bark, they were obscure characters that tended to get ignored by fans. Personally, I'm indifferent to them. Bark has an okay-ish design, while Bean is a Bin clone.

So yeah, I don't think fans would care about them if it wasn't for them being "classic" characters, fueled by this recent retro resurgence.

I do like Fang, though, as I feel he brings something different to the table, being one of the very few villainous anthros in the series. He can work if they keep him as a side villain who has his own agenda and antagonizes heroes and baddies alike, serving as the occasional boss fight.
This post has been edited by Blue Spikeball: 23 July 2018 - 03:22 AM

#44 User is offline Aerosol 

Posted 23 July 2018 - 03:07 AM

• FML and FU2
  • Project:Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
This reminds me. I'd like to see more differences between characters in the future. Give Tails a weaker spindash maybe, and remove it from Knuckles entirely. Things like that.

#45 User is offline HP Zoner 

Posted 23 July 2018 - 04:05 AM

• Project:Crash Mania
To be completely honest, I never cared for Mighty or Ray until Mania either, but that's just the thing — There's a lot you can do with the classic characters because a lot of them never really got a chance to shine. Fang is kind of an exception, since his lovable personality as an incompetent villain was showcased well in Triple Trouble, but for me, Mighty and Ray went from "who are these guys again" to some of my favorite Sonic characters (even if it's a little weird to have two characters whose main trait is super strength). If Bark and Bean make a proper return, there is a good chance they will be treated with the same amount of love, depending on who handles things from here.

• 5 Pages +
    Locked Forum

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users