Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Greg Martin Sonic 2 prelim (not mine) recent private sale - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Greg Martin Sonic 2 prelim (not mine) recent private sale

#1 User is offline Buyatari 

Posted 09 July 2018 - 11:17 AM

I know you guys like seeing these things. This one is not mine (was not the buyer nor seller) but recently traded hands.

Posted Image

#2 User is offline McAleeCh 

Posted 09 July 2018 - 11:24 AM

• Wiki edits:27
Ooh, nice - thanks for sharing! Great to see an in-progress version of this iconic piece - one of my favourite pieces of western Sonic cover-art. Tails with skin-coloured fur is something I've not seen since those old... what were they, Burger King or McDonald's toys? Wonder if there's a connection, haha - can't remember which year those were produced.
This post has been edited by McAleeCh: 09 July 2018 - 11:26 AM

#3 User is offline VectorCNC 

Posted 09 July 2018 - 12:09 PM

• Project:CNC Sculpture/Artwork
Wow, so cool!

Buyatari, how does one become informed when this sort of thing goes up for sale? And how/why are you in possession of so much of this artwork?

#4 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 09 July 2018 - 12:54 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204

View PostMcAleeCh, on 09 July 2018 - 11:24 AM, said:

Ooh, nice - thanks for sharing! Great to see an in-progress version of this iconic piece - one of my favourite pieces of western Sonic cover-art. Tails with skin-coloured fur is something I've not seen since those old... what were they, Burger King or McDonald's toys? Wonder if there's a connection, haha - can't remember which year those were produced.

Not the Sonic christmas crackers figurines? Tails had flesh-coloured fur in the prototype shot of those.

#5 User is offline Buyatari 

Posted 09 July 2018 - 01:20 PM

View PostVectorCNC, on 09 July 2018 - 12:09 PM, said:

Wow, so cool!

Buyatari, how does one become informed when this sort of thing goes up for sale? And how/why are you in possession of so much of this artwork?

I'll start off by saying again that I was not the buyer or the seller. This particular piece was never mine.
The video game art that I do have comes from getting a head start on most other buyers.

As for how to keep an eye on the video game art marketplace, I would recommend this group on facebook.
Closed group so you have to be a member to see posts.

https://www.facebook...02536466816380/

#6 User is offline Pengi 

Posted 09 July 2018 - 01:38 PM

View PostOverlord, on 09 July 2018 - 12:54 PM, said:

Not the Sonic christmas crackers figurines? Tails had flesh-coloured fur in the prototype shot of those.

Not just the prototypes, the final figures had that colouring too.

#7 User is offline Adamis 

Posted 09 July 2018 - 01:39 PM

• Gimme waffles!
  • Project:Lammy and "Fafnir"
  • Wiki edits:53
I've often thought that the skin colored Tails pictures were influenced by the Sonic 2 manga...

Posted Image
This post has been edited by Adamis: 09 July 2018 - 01:39 PM

#8 User is offline McAleeCh 

Posted 09 July 2018 - 02:03 PM

• Wiki edits:27

View PostOverlord, on 09 July 2018 - 12:54 PM, said:

Nah, after a bit of Googling I found the one I was thinking of - it's the one seen in this picture:

Posted Image

Apparently a 1993 Burger King kids' meal toy, so I guess my memory was better than I thought! Even at the young age I was back then, it still bothered me his fur colour was wrong, haha. XD
This post has been edited by McAleeCh: 09 July 2018 - 02:04 PM

#9 User is offline Pengi 

Posted 09 July 2018 - 04:39 PM

Christmas Cracker toys, photos from Sega Memories: http://sega-memories...acker-toys.html

Posted Image

As with Greg Martin's image, tan coloured tummy/muzzle/ears, but white tail tips.

#10 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 10 July 2018 - 12:15 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
Oh, right. They were more extreme in the protos, though.

#11 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 10 July 2018 - 03:56 PM

• match up tails to the cards
  • Project:you just can't catch 'em, wiggly worms
  • Wiki edits:20,569

View PostAdamis, on 09 July 2018 - 01:39 PM, said:

I've often thought that the skin colored Tails pictures were influenced by the Sonic 2 manga...

Posted Image

It's unlikely this particular manga did much influencing - you'd expect Sega of America to be leading the way for Sonic 2 and 3. In fact, Tails looks as if he's been nabbed from some Warner Bros. cartoon (the cheapo ones from the 1960s) - like they only had a vague description of the character to work with.

This Greg Martin painting is probably the first to use the wrong colours, and I would imagine licensors copied it from there.

#12 User is offline Adamis 

Posted 10 July 2018 - 04:00 PM

• Gimme waffles!
  • Project:Lammy and "Fafnir"
  • Wiki edits:53
It would still be a strange coïncidence that this manga has a Tails with a color scheme that was used later by the US merchandising... and let's not forget the brown Tails from the nineties cartoons.

#13 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:57 AM

• Wiki edits:18
Can't be just a coincidence... It's very likely that Tails' prototype design did have that color scheme and then that merchandise and artwork was made from SEGA's rushed orders.

Thanks for sharing it, Buyatari!
This post has been edited by ICEknight: 11 July 2018 - 07:59 AM

#14 User is offline The Growler 

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:02 AM

View PostPengi, on 09 July 2018 - 04:39 PM, said:

Christmas Cracker toys, photos from Sega Memories: http://sega-memories...acker-toys.html

Posted Image

As with Greg Martin's image, tan coloured tummy/muzzle/ears, but white tail tips.

That's a bit odd, the picture I had of them of Tails definitely had a very brown colour for his fur:
Posted Image

#15 User is offline Pengi 

Posted 11 July 2018 - 11:29 AM

Yeah, it's not unusual for promotional photos to have prototypes. The Sonic and Robotnik figures’ eyes are a bit off too.
This post has been edited by Pengi: 11 July 2018 - 11:31 AM

• 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users