Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Mania Plus SPOILER THREAD with UNMARKED spoilers! - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 67 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic Mania Plus SPOILER THREAD with UNMARKED spoilers! ALERT: contains UNMARKED SPOILERS. Beware of spoilers! (Spoilers)

#16 User is offline Yeow 

Posted 25 April 2018 - 10:29 AM

• Official moneylender for the Coalition of Muslim Drug Dealers
  • Project:college courses and holding crusades against anime trash
The new palettes/color schemes for the Encore mode stages look gorgeous. The purple hues for Mirage Saloon look really nice in particular.

Ray seems to control like Mario's cape powerup from Super Mario World, and also looks like he can recurl into a ball after performing it. Looks pretty neat, pretty sold and definitely makes for good contrast against Knuckles' glide/Tails' flight; has a lot of playful aerial mobility.

Mighty meanwhile has a hard ground pound move. Seems to operate like a permanent secondary Bubble shield move; hoping there's more to it than this, he's coming off as more of palette swap of Sonic. I did catch a screenshot of Angel Island (either from the 1.0.4 leak or the Famitsu interview) and there was an opening underneath, so it can apparently break through hard barriers from underground? That's good, but I'll need to see more of him.

The last screenshot in the elevator is great. Really love Mighty and Knuckles grinning at each other (Chaotix nod!), while Tails is more perplexed at Ray crammed next to him. :v

July 17th is actually a pretty good date for release IMO. It's relatively quiet as of this writing (mostly multiplatform / re-releases such as Crash N.Sane and Captain Toad); and it's not June (which has a bunch of releases) or August (which is just before September, a bloodbath of major releases; and also what I would had said too far away from the initial Plus announcement).

Mania Plus being $5 DLC for existing owners (mentioned by the PR) is fantastic.

Will honestly buy the DLC for my Steam copy and a retail copy (presumably for Switch). Really hope the retail release boosts Mania's overall sales immensely.

#17 User is offline XCubed 

Posted 25 April 2018 - 10:35 AM

• Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center
  • Wiki edits:5

View PostDark Sonic, on 25 April 2018 - 10:29 AM, said:

Awwwww I love how Knuckles and Mighty are like so happy to see each other again. Nice touch Tyson.

And so much goodness, I love the sprite work and I love how those moves look. Super Mario World Cape is a very nice idea for Ray, and Mighty's move honestly was completely unexpected, I thought for sure they'd of given him the wall jump from Chaotix.

Anyway, I love this, and July 17th isn't too far in the future. I can wait 2 1/2 months. As far as the palette swaps go though I mean what did you expect? Too drastic and it'd look weird, but if they did nothing it'd be boring. I think it's nice honestly, particularly for the older levels that we've seen in their exact form 1000 times. Although I'll admit Green Hill at Sunset has been done to death, even officially (Hi Splash Hill Zone and Sunset Hill in Sonic Advance 3).

But it's the first "Green Hill" @ sunset that's been done officially that's not Megamix :D

#18 User is offline RikohZX 

Posted 25 April 2018 - 10:35 AM

From what I can guess in the bare glimpses of level layout, the Encore Mode stages seem to be the same layouts but looked to have more enemies. So probably really item/enemy placement changes, while the new patch itself will add extra routes as evidenced for the Mighty ground pound.

#19 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 25 April 2018 - 10:38 AM

• Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10

View PostXCubed, on 25 April 2018 - 10:35 AM, said:

View PostDark Sonic, on 25 April 2018 - 10:29 AM, said:

Awwwww I love how Knuckles and Mighty are like so happy to see each other again. Nice touch Tyson.

And so much goodness, I love the sprite work and I love how those moves look. Super Mario World Cape is a very nice idea for Ray, and Mighty's move honestly was completely unexpected, I thought for sure they'd of given him the wall jump from Chaotix.

Anyway, I love this, and July 17th isn't too far in the future. I can wait 2 1/2 months. As far as the palette swaps go though I mean what did you expect? Too drastic and it'd look weird, but if they did nothing it'd be boring. I think it's nice honestly, particularly for the older levels that we've seen in their exact form 1000 times. Although I'll admit Green Hill at Sunset has been done to death, even officially (Hi Splash Hill Zone and Sunset Hill in Sonic Advance 3).

But it's the first "Green Hill" @ sunset that's been done officially that's not Megamix :D

Actually not even. Some of the challenge acts in Green Hill in Generations were set at sunset :v:

I like how Tails' expression in the elevator is just like "who the fuck are these people" while Knuckles just seems in shock that Mighty's still alive.

#20 User is offline OcelotBot 

Posted 25 April 2018 - 10:39 AM

• Scooty-Puff Jr sucks!
A few more screenshots:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Mania Plus is looking awesome.

#21 User is offline GoldS 

Posted 25 April 2018 - 10:42 AM

• Wiki edits:35

View PostOcelotBot, on 25 April 2018 - 10:13 AM, said:

Posted Image

Is this from an older build? It's missing the transitional colors between the sky / mountains seen in the trailer.

EDIT: Nevermind, the Buzz Bomber is covering it up. Trash please.
This post has been edited by GoldS: 25 April 2018 - 10:45 AM

#22 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 25 April 2018 - 10:43 AM

Oh finally there's a better quality of that Famitsu scan, but I only have this one snippit here:

Posted Image

Whether it's encore mode exclusive I can't tell but it looks like you can swap between characters now.

Also this:

Posted Image

Damn it I want that version of the cover instead. Not that the US/UK one isn't good (It is, and bonus points for not using American Assface Sonic from the 90s), buttttttt my god do I love the Japanese Sonic Mega Drive covers. They've been a huge influence on my art and I went out of my way to buy all those games from ebay because I love the art on those covers so much. Seeing how this harks back to that I need it.

EDIT: Also the higher quality scan shows that Angel Island is indeed a level due to the HUD being present. Probably an Encore mode level I'm guessing.
This post has been edited by Dark Sonic: 25 April 2018 - 10:51 AM

#23 User is offline SuperSnoopy 

Posted 25 April 2018 - 10:52 AM

• I prefer Sonic Advance to Sonic 2
  • Project:Learning how to fucking draw
So you can swap between characters, hey ?
That look really, really cool. I wonder why they didn't show this on trailer, oh well...

And that Japanese cover art is awesome as well.
I wonder if it'll have a cheesy english inspirational quote on it.
Definitely a missed opportunity if not

#24 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 25 April 2018 - 10:53 AM

So this is speculative nonsense but given how Encore mode is another added half of the game...

What are the chances Hyper Sonic comes back in some form :v: If there was ever a time for it this would be it.

#25 User is offline Crappy Blue Luigi 

Posted 25 April 2018 - 10:55 AM

• just a blue bud
  • Wiki edits:2
Posted Image

This image fills me with joy.

#26 User is offline Glaber 

Posted 25 April 2018 - 10:56 AM

• Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA
  • Project:Gmod Ragdolls and Props, Pony maps
Well if you want the Japenese one, Import it. the Switch is region free.

#27 User is offline IndyCotton 

Posted 25 April 2018 - 10:56 AM

Posted Image

I'm so used to giving, and now I get to receive. Thanks so much Mania Team.

Edit: Espio'd.
This post has been edited by IndyCotton: 25 April 2018 - 10:59 AM

#28 User is offline Friend of Sonic 

Posted 25 April 2018 - 10:58 AM

• ^ My only lasting impact to the Sonic community
My friend who's got a decent handle on Japanese states the caption says you can swap characters. I approve of that addition.

I'm pretty hyped for the game. I hope there's some surprises we don't know about-- I hope Angel Island is a full zone, etc. Pretty exciting it's in July!

#29 User is offline Ashura96 

Posted 25 April 2018 - 10:59 AM

• FUTURE 2222
  • Wiki edits:6
Yeah, interesting that Angel Island is not shown at all in the Plus trailer.

GOD I want that Mega Drive cover from the JP physical copies...but I only have Xbox. :( :( :( :(

#30 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 25 April 2018 - 10:59 AM

View PostGlaber, on 25 April 2018 - 10:56 AM, said:

Well if you want the Japenese one, Import it. the Switch is region free.

Hmm, and that is the version of the game I don't have. And Day 1 or not I have the PS4/PC versions to upgrade day 1 so it doesn't matter.

Ya know I just might.

• 67 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users