Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Boom TV Show Megathread - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 58 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Sonic Boom TV Show Megathread Getcha CG cartoon chat here!

#856 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 19 August 2018 - 11:52 AM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
Given the length of time involved I think it's fairly safe to say the show's dead.

#857 User is offline Laughingcow 

Posted 19 August 2018 - 12:42 PM

It's dead, we knew that while back when some of the staff were off looking for work.

R.I.P. retarded Knuckles and his infinite jumping glitch.

#858 User is offline Nexeno 

Posted 19 August 2018 - 01:41 PM

View PostOverlord, on 19 August 2018 - 11:52 AM, said:

Given the length of time involved I think it's fairly safe to say the show's dead.

At least it introduced alot of Young people to Sonic...

#859 User is offline Yeow 

Posted 19 August 2018 - 04:30 PM

• Official moneylender for the Coalition of Muslim Drug Dealers
  • Project:college courses and holding crusades against anime trash

View PostNexeno, on 19 August 2018 - 01:41 PM, said:

View PostOverlord, on 19 August 2018 - 11:52 AM, said:

At least it introduced alot of Young people to Sonic...

Eh...no, not really. A successful new refresh of the brand that brings in a new wave of fans, this isn't, if anything, it might be the complete opposite. At best, Boom probably caught the attention of people who weren't really into Sonic...for a few minutes; but nothing more than that otherwise.

That of which is something I've felt for a while now but I want to really accentuate--this sub-brand was terribly managed from top to bottom and just comes off as a huge waste of resources.

The launch of the Boom series as a worldwide brand was horribly inconsistent and delayed; the show was supposed to start airing at the same time the games launched, which only happened in the US and France. Other countries (including the UK, despite not getting a special English dub for the show) had to wait for over a year before the show started showing in those regions, despite already getting the (poor) tie-in games on time. And speaking of the UK--I'm pretty sure it has actually yet to have aired the second season of the show there, despite S2 having finished its US run last year.

That's not even getting into the fact that the TV show got absolutely awful timeslots/scheduling and promotion (primary network of choice CN/Boomerang may be more to blame about that, but choosing them as the network for the show to air also reflect badly on Sega and co. as CN has had a history of treating such cartoons pretty poorly) or that the series doesn't really distinguish itself as a product that had to be a spinoff--there really isn't anything in Boom they couldn't had done in the main series and with the standard designs. Sega also originally claimed to have over 40 vendors up for licensing merch; but from what I know/observed, the actual number of vendors seems to actually be just a fraction of that.

It's just a mess, and a mostly unnecessary one at that that caused another identity split in the series and its fanbase, and stained the franchise with another godawful game (no matter how loud people scream from the rooftops otherwise, solely because "it's a spinoff").

In light of all of this, I'm not really shocked Sega's quietly shelved it and refocused their efforts back to the main series after just four years in. Outside of learning just how horrible Rise of Lyric managed to turn out, there's not much about Boom's reception that could be described as an exceptional venture.
This post has been edited by Yeow: 19 August 2018 - 04:35 PM

#860 User is offline Vangar 

Posted 19 August 2018 - 05:38 PM

• Wiki edits:2
Does anyone have links to season 2? The ones in that google doc seem to be long dead. Can't find season 2 anywhere.

#861 User is offline SystemsReady 

Posted 29 August 2018 - 01:31 AM

• Project:Right now just focusing on getting this new PC machine all set up!

The launch of the Boom series as a worldwide brand was horribly inconsistent and delayed; the show was supposed to start airing at the same time the games launched, which only happened in the US and France. Other countries (including the UK, despite not getting a special English dub for the show) had to wait for over a year before the show started showing in those regions, despite already getting the (poor) tie-in games on time. And speaking of the UK--I'm pretty sure it has actually yet to have aired the second season of the show there, despite S2 having finished its US run last year.

Can we also bring up the fact that the show and the games seemed to have absolutely nothing to do with one another outside the setting and characters? Where does Lyric fit into any of that? There's time travel, does that factor into the show at all?

They sunk what seemed to be a decent and funny show by tying it to a terrible game that didn't factor at all into it...

#862 User is offline Sonic Warrior TJ 

Posted 29 August 2018 - 10:32 PM

• Likes Rise of Lyric
  • Wiki edits:21

View PostSystemsReady, on 29 August 2018 - 01:31 AM, said:

Can we also bring up the fact that the show and the games seemed to have absolutely nothing to do with one another outside the setting and characters? Where does Lyric fit into any of that? There's time travel, does that factor into the show at all?

They sunk what seemed to be a decent and funny show by tying it to a terrible game that didn't factor at all into it...

The first two Boom games were supposed to be prequels to the show. There isn't a ton of carry-over though, aside from the crew arriving on the island from the show and meeting Sticks in RoL, and the gadget Eggman obtains at the end. As far as canon goes, I guess Shattered Crystal comes after RoL since they already know Sticks, and Lyric is just sorta there.
This post has been edited by Sonic Warrior TJ: 29 August 2018 - 11:07 PM

#863 User is offline Dr. Mecha 

Posted 30 August 2018 - 12:09 AM

• Project:3d Models

View PostSonic Warrior TJ, on 29 August 2018 - 10:32 PM, said:

View PostSystemsReady, on 29 August 2018 - 01:31 AM, said:

The first two Boom games were supposed to be prequels to the show. There isn't a ton of carry-over though, aside from the crew arriving on the island from the show and meeting Sticks in RoL, and the gadget Eggman obtains at the end. As far as canon goes, I guess Shattered Crystal comes after RoL since they already know Sticks, and Lyric is just sorta there.

Don't forget about Fire and Ice, and the episode with the character of said game, Defect.

But yeah, the sub series is dead; the only thing it had was Stick the Paranoid Badger, and she was designed by Sonic Team themselves.
This post has been edited by Dr. Mecha: 30 August 2018 - 12:11 AM

• 58 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users