Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Fleetway appreciation / STC:O thread - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 12 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Fleetway appreciation / STC:O thread Right, we were derailing too many threads

#16 User is offline 0r4ng3 

Posted 04 February 2010 - 02:55 PM

• Wiki edits:708
QUOTE (Ell678 @ Feb 4 2010, 11:11 AM)
I think he was just a bit more arrogant and cocky in this. It kind of fits really - he's good, and he knows it. When up against something that was / more than a match for him, this personality tended to retract a little.

First issue. eng101.png The second is even more hillarious.

And so on.

#17 User is offline The KKM 

Posted 05 February 2010 - 09:54 AM

• Welcome to the nExt level
  • Project:Sonic the Comic- Online!
  • Wiki edits:6
To be fair, it did end up toned down a notch. sure, he'll call Tails Pixel Brain and all that, but on the first issues it's just ridiculous.

#18 User is offline Super Rockman 

Posted 05 February 2010 - 11:18 AM

• Wiki edits:11
Some people draw old Sonic pretty weird from a behind point of view.

#19 User is offline 0r4ng3 

Posted 05 February 2010 - 01:32 PM

• Wiki edits:708
QUOTE (Koi Kami Mauro @ Feb 5 2010, 02:54 PM)
To be fair, it did end up toned down a notch. sure, he'll call Tails Pixel Brain and all that, but on the first issues it's just ridiculous.

Very honestly, I never saw a problem with the jerk behaviour. It always made me laugh.

#20 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 06 February 2010 - 11:48 AM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
QUOTE (D.A. Garden @ Feb 4 2010, 05:08 PM)
I used to buy this comic when I was younger and it was available. Not every issue as money when I was the young was hard to come by but when I had the chance I did.
I don't remember a lot, but the stuff I do remember makes me wish they had officially continued it.
The brotherhood of Metallix was brilliant, a shame they all died the way did; seemed like a quick cop out to me.
Super Sonic going mental was funny but at the same time made it hard to tell what was going to happen. I was also a fan of the Super Sonic being a seperate being and living his own life sub-story that happened. I distinctively remember him with swirly eyes holding a shopping bag. Lol
And the italian guys in dungarees who owned Carnival Night Zone... Reference to Mario much?

Ah, the Marxio Bros. No, totally not a swipe at Nintendo at all =P

#21 User is offline True Dude 

Posted 06 February 2010 - 12:49 PM

• Wiki edits:980
It would be interesting to see a crossover between Archie Sonic and Fleetway Sonic, an official one, since Archie goes through other universes and shit all the time. They would have Spaz draw all of Archies characters and settings and Richard Elson do Fleetways characters and settings, with a story co-written by Nigel Kitching and Michael Gallagher!
This post has been edited by True Dude: 06 February 2010 - 12:52 PM

#22 User is offline Azookara 

Posted 06 February 2010 - 01:18 PM

• take it from me, little buddy
  • Project:hoboagogo?
  • Wiki edits:27
I like Sonic's quick, snappy and arrogant attitude in this comic. He's like Spiderman, except a) he actually knows what he's doing and knows (not thinks) he's awesome, and b) because of the lack of angsty emo teen crap. Oh yeah, and he's a friggin' blue hedgehog that runs faster than sound. So that already by default makes him cooler. :p

Screw Archie, Fleetway gave REASON behind the title "A Hedgehog With An Attitude".

#23 User is offline Ben2k9 

Posted 11 February 2010 - 11:24 AM

• We stand to Fight
  • Project:none at the mo
Ah, StC, I was reading a few back issues the other day, that and S3K are my favorate sonic memories of the 90's

anyone read this? STC Online its an official unofficial continuation of the comic, its actually pretty good! Nigel Kitching and few other "humes" have approved and possibly worked on it, Nigel also frequents the messageboards sometimes smile.png

#24 User is online Dark Sonic 

Posted 11 February 2010 - 12:45 PM

• Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10
One thing I've noticed but man did the guys drawing this comic suck. Seriously wtf is this:

what the hell is that a crease on Sonic's head? And what's with Amy's hair in all these comics. I know that they based it off that Sonic CD artwork but damn wasn't there any other art of Amy they looked at that told them "Oh shit we aren't doing it right." Fuck they could have looked at sprites and got a better interpretation

#25 User is offline The KKM 

Posted 11 February 2010 - 01:07 PM

• Welcome to the nExt level
  • Project:Sonic the Comic- Online!
  • Wiki edits:6
QUOTE (Dark Sonic @ Feb 11 2010, 05:45 PM)
One thing I've noticed but man did the guys drawing this comic suck. Seriously wtf is this:

what the hell is that a crease on Sonic's head? And what's with Amy's hair in all these comics. I know that they based it off that Sonic CD artwork but damn wasn't there any other art of Amy they looked at that told them "Oh shit we aren't doing it right." Fuck they could have looked at sprites and got a better interpretation

Because, you know, they did it like that on purpose? To help her look different from "pink Sonic"?

EDIT: I mean, they aren't even using her original clothing. Why would they keep Sonic hair on her?
This post has been edited by Koi Kami Mauro: 11 February 2010 - 01:12 PM

#26 User is online Dark Sonic 

Posted 11 February 2010 - 01:53 PM

QUOTE (Koi Kami Mauro @ Feb 11 2010, 10:07 AM)
QUOTE (Dark Sonic @ Feb 11 2010, 05:45 PM)

Because, you know, they did it like that on purpose? To help her look different from "pink Sonic"?

EDIT: I mean, they aren't even using her original clothing. Why would they keep Sonic hair on her?

I guess but damn it's just such a strange hair style. The clothes they picked for Amy weren't that great either, but then again Amy has basically never had a good outfit so eh least they tried I suppose

#27 User is offline Ross-Irving 

Posted 11 February 2010 - 06:19 PM

• Wiki edits:1
I'm not going to comment on the writing in the series as I have read no full issues. I do want to say that the art looked awkward on many occasions, though, from pictures I've seen.

I feel that the physical proportions given to Sonic and the rest of the cast look awkward and ungainly. Sonic's body being almost the same size as his head, along with really small hands and shoes. It doesn't look sleek, and it doesn't even look cute. Tails had a big forehead, which is a characteristic which helps make a character look cute and childlike, and then he ended up having old man wrinkles above his small eyes. Other characters like Johnny and Porker look outright strange when you compare their evened out, human-like proportions to those of the established characters. Odder still was that things like hands, clothes and other smaller individual details that made up the characters look well drawn. Maybe the artists didn't know how to draw cartoony stuff very well. Compositions within the panels (again, only from what I've seen), look very cluttered most of the time. Colors are alright.

Now, this is not to say that the Archie comics are better. As others have pointed out, the amount of drama found in the series is unbearable, and personally, I think the colors Archie uses are sometimes too saturated and garish compared to StC.

#28 User is offline Ben2k9 

Posted 12 February 2010 - 09:01 AM

• We stand to Fight
  • Project:none at the mo
Ok, I can see some pretty harsh comments from ignorant Americans;

The artists didn't for the most part base the style on the sprites, they based it on promotional material at the time and if you cast your mind back to the god-aweful low poly renderings of Sonic 3d that was the most up-to-date sonic artwork available. Don't forget this was 1996, there wasnt really an internet, the writers got most of their art from sega themselves. As for Amy, for the first few comics she DID look like her Sonic CD version, but, a new editor (Deborah Tate) wanted to expand the comics fan base to girls so she ordered Amy to be much tougher and have a stronger female lead. I hope that helps.

I feel that the physical proportions given to Sonic and the rest of the cast look awkward and ungainly. Sonic's body being almost the same size as his head, along with really small hands and shoes. It doesn't look sleek, and it doesn't even look cute. Tails had a big forehead, which is a characteristic which helps make a character look cute and childlike, and then he ended up having old man wrinkles above his small eyes. Other characters like Johnny and Porker look outright strange when you compare their evened out, human-like proportions to those of the established characters. Odder still was that things like hands, clothes and other smaller individual details that made up the characters look well drawn. Maybe the artists didn't know how to draw cartoony stuff very well. Compositions within the panels (again, only from what I've seen), look very cluttered most of the time. Colors are alright.

Artist interpretations kthnxbai, Sonic wasn't supposed to be cute, he was a sarcastic, bitter, reluctant hero who got cast into the future by one of his best freinds (forced by Robotnik) where his arch nemesis ruled, killed and enslaved his home zone. Oh and he also created Robotnik to save the world from Metallixes, and his Super side was a sadistic murderer. Hardly cute.

As for tails, well, as I said it wasnt really a 'cute' universe.

#29 User is online Dark Sonic 

Posted 12 February 2010 - 08:03 PM

QUOTE (Ben2k9 @ Feb 12 2010, 06:01 AM)
Ok, I can see some pretty harsh comments from ignorant Americans;

The artists didn't for the most part base the style on the sprites, they based it on promotional material at the time and if you cast your mind back to the god-aweful low poly renderings of Sonic 3d that was the most up-to-date sonic artwork available. Don't forget this was 1996, there wasnt really an internet, the writers got most of their art from sega themselves. As for Amy, for the first few comics she DID look like her Sonic CD version, but, a new editor (Deborah Tate) wanted to expand the comics fan base to girls so she ordered Amy to be much tougher and have a stronger female lead. I hope that helps.

Good point I was sort of thinking of that earlier. I suppose if they were basing their art off the abortion below they did the best they could
http://info.sonicretro.org/images/thumb/7/...d-md-eu-box.jpg
If you're 3D rendering skills are that poor, go back to drawings D:

#30 User is offline Overbound 

Posted 12 February 2010 - 10:24 PM

• Project:Sonic Time Twisted Creator
  • Wiki edits:236

Life is like a hurricane here in...

• 12 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users