Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic R Hacking - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 16 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Sonic R Hacking Because somebody should.

#226 User is offline InvisibleUp 

Posted 12 November 2017 - 12:33 AM

• Project:Sonic Redux (Sonic R hack)
Posted Image

Took me a while to get situated with how the mod loader worked, but I've made a widescreen hack for the '04 version of Sonic R. It's actually better than the one in Sonic Redux (my contest hack), because the 2004 version has a variable for the screen X scale. This means I can actually make widescreen work when the screen is split horizontally.

But anyways, download link (with source for Visual Studio 2017) is at https://mega.nz/#!MC...uq2ImvUvW9eK950

EDIT: Updated DL link, fixed phrasing

EDIT2: Also uploaded to GameBanana (https://gamebanana.com/guis/33496) because I saw that MainMemory started a Sonic R section.
This post has been edited by InvisibleUp: 12 November 2017 - 01:32 AM

#227 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 12 November 2017 - 01:33 AM

• Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339
That looks promising, although it seems from your screenshot that certain graphical elements are not properly adjusted. I'd like to see this polished and implemented directly into the mod loader, if that's alright with you.

In other news, I did a music mod. It replaces all the music with SADX music. You can get it on GameBanana.

#228 User is offline InvisibleUp 

Posted 12 November 2017 - 01:46 AM

• Project:Sonic Redux (Sonic R hack)
Alright, wasn't sure if you wanted it in the mod loader or not.

It's only really broken in 3P/4P mode, because it does some funky stuff with the aspect ratio variable I'm using. I think I know how to fix it, though.

EDIT: That was a lot easier than I thought it would be. New link: https://mega.nz/#!QX...jlzmEo_qiI2mpiQ
I simply changed it so that instead of halving the X stretch variable if it was in 3/4P mode, it halved it if the original value was already halved. Works perfectly now. I might work on adding this to the mod loader itself tomorrow.

This post has been edited by InvisibleUp: 12 November 2017 - 02:03 AM

#229 User is offline CheatFreak 

Posted 12 November 2017 - 03:48 AM

• Everything or Nothing.
  • Project:BetterSADX Patch

View PostInvisibleUp, on 12 November 2017 - 01:46 AM, said:

Alright, wasn't sure if you wanted it in the mod loader or not.

It's only really broken in 3P/4P mode, because it does some funky stuff with the aspect ratio variable I'm using. I think I know how to fix it, though.

EDIT: That was a lot easier than I thought it would be. New link: https://mega.nz/#!QX...jlzmEo_qiI2mpiQ
I simply changed it so that instead of halving the X stretch variable if it was in 3/4P mode, it halved it if the original value was already halved. Works perfectly now. I might work on adding this to the mod loader itself tomorrow.

I think he's also referring to the UI elements in general being positioned in the center of the screen. Ideally these elements would be moved to the edges of the screen properly instead.

Also, the change to these appropriate things should scale with the actual resolution, allowing the game to properly render at any aspect ratio ideally, but that's also a bit of work probably.

Regardless, what impressive work! I can tick this off my Sonic R Wishlist.

#230 User is offline CheatFreak 

Posted 12 November 2017 - 07:30 AM

• Everything or Nothing.
This post has been changed significantly since it was originally posted so uh. Redownload junk if you saw it before I changed it.
Yesterday morning I posted a mod called "ADX Looped Music" which I released not knowing there was an issue with one of the included tracks. In addition I found out from MainMemory on IRC that the Saturn version of Sonic R has longer Instrumental Tracks. I also came to the decision that for a proper ADX Music mod, I shouldn't be editing in my own loops, so I've created 2 mods now instead.

So first we have the ADX Music mod.
This contains unedited ADX format encodes of the Sonic R music tracks, which takes advantage of MainMemory's implementation of bass_vgmstream in the Sonic R Mod Loader.
The main purpose of this is to replace the space inefficient (albeit lossless) *.SON files of the standard 2004 Sonic R port, and simultaneously take advantage of the capability for looping that the ADX format provides.

Download ADX Music

In addition, I'm releasing an optional mod that includes edited loops of the main 7 vocal track themes that I made yesterday. They were done by cleanly overlaying the portion of music at the end of the song where it fades out with the first few seconds of music from the start of the song, removing any silence that would ordinarily be there when the music would loop, and setting an appropriate loop point in the song.

Download ADX Music - Overlapping Fades.

I'll also post links to these on my website but uh. Not until I feel like updating my site, so it could be a day or two.
This post has been edited by CheatFreak: 13 November 2017 - 05:11 AM

#231 User is offline CheatFreak 

Posted Yesterday, 11:55 AM

• Everything or Nothing.
So I was saying I was working on a patch for Sonic R 1998 to make it into the 2004 port, and I did it.
Enjoy that for anyone interested in dabbling in Sonic R mods, this might be of use.

http://forums.sonicr...showtopic=37536

• 16 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users