Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Forces Thread - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 422 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic Forces Thread

#6241 User is offline LukyHRE 

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:37 PM

• The only one who has a Portal-themed avatar
  • Project:Bitching and complaining about my country -.-'
  • Wiki edits:2

View PostDark Sonic, on 13 February 2018 - 08:53 AM, said:

Huh. Apparently Forces has time overs. Although instead of the usual 10 minutes they give you a whole hour.

Like I'm surprised they bothered.

I can totally see there was a 10 minutes time over in the beginning, which justifies the programming of the message and the red glow on the timer, but then the "HURR DURR LET'S MAKE IT VERY EASY SO EVERYBODY CAN PLAY IT HURR DURR" thing came, and instead of eliminating it, they just increased it to 60 minutes :P

Everything about this game is just plain ridiculous.

#6242 User is offline Lozicle 

Posted 19 February 2018 - 06:28 PM

I was weak and ended up buying Sonic Forces from the Steam sale. I have... thoughts.

The good:
Spoiler

The bad:
Spoiler

I'm sure most of this stuff has been said before. I get what Sonic Team was going for, and I feel like I enjoyed it more than most people. Any game that lets me play as my own characters is fun to me.
This post has been edited by Lozicle: 19 February 2018 - 06:41 PM

#6243 User is online Blue Blood 

Posted 20 February 2018 - 05:24 PM

• Wiki edits:6
Is someone able to explain this to me?

If you take Sonic (or Shadow) to a wall in a 3D area and try to make him walk into it, this quite often happens. It's not everywhere, but it does happen in a lot of places and it's easily repeatable in those spots. You can see in this video that all I'm doing is holding right.
This post has been edited by Blue Blood: 20 February 2018 - 06:37 PM

#6244 User is offline urlogic 

Posted 23 February 2018 - 12:30 AM

Has anyone ever replayed this game more than once? I can't find any reason to revisit the game, and I paid 40$ for it. The levels just aren't long or interesting enough.

#6245 User is offline SuperSnoopy 

Posted 23 February 2018 - 06:14 AM

• I prefer Sonic Advance to Sonic 2
  • Project:Learning how to fucking draw
It's fun to speedrun. I think I have 40+ hours in it, trying to beat my best times and trying out new wispons and avatar combinations.
I kinda agree with Izuka here : it's fun to mindlessly boost trough the levels :v:
(Maybe it's why I like this game better than generations, even though I know it's not better)
This post has been edited by SuperSnoopy: 23 February 2018 - 06:15 AM

#6246 User is offline Jayextee 

Posted 23 February 2018 - 06:56 AM

• Comic Mischief
  • Project:I DONE MAKED GAMES.
  • Wiki edits:27

View Posturlogic, on 23 February 2018 - 12:30 AM, said:

Has anyone ever replayed this game more than once? I can't find any reason to revisit the game, and I paid 40$ for it. The levels just aren't long or interesting enough.

If you mean by this "come back to play it after seeing the ending", I did grind until I got the Platinum trophy on PS4. I had a much more positive experience with the game than 99% of the posters in this thread, I have to admit.

#6247 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 23 February 2018 - 07:50 AM

• Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10
Yup I've played it a good number of times, although usually when drinking.

It's actually kinda fun that way.

#6248 User is offline Sonic Warrior TJ 

Posted 23 February 2018 - 11:21 AM

• Likes Rise of Lyric
  • Wiki edits:21
I've gone through it a few times, and had afternoons where I'd blast through the stages in order. It's one of those games that's good, dumb fun. I can tell a lot of work went into it, but somewhere along the way the gameplay took a massive hit. Kinda like Black Knight, but that game controlled like complete shit, whereas this one's faults lie more in the stage design, making it more enjoyable by default.

#6249 User is offline Lozicle 

Posted 23 February 2018 - 11:44 AM

Like I said, I love the avatar system, so I've been going back and creating new avatars. Also, as much as I dislike the way the missions are used to get cosmetics, completing missions is one of my favorite things to do in Sonic games (Adventure 2, Rush Adventure, Generations HD/3D). Missions add a lot to the replayability of these games for me, and they can be useful for learning different or more efficient way to beat levels.

#6250 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 23 February 2018 - 12:09 PM

• Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10

View PostSonic Warrior TJ, on 23 February 2018 - 11:21 AM, said:

I've gone through it a few times, and had afternoons where I'd blast through the stages in order. It's one of those games that's good, dumb fun. I can tell a lot of work went into it, but somewhere along the way the gameplay took a massive hit. Kinda like Black Knight, but that game controlled like complete shit, whereas this one's faults lie more in the stage design, making it more enjoyable by default.

Pretty much along the lines of this. It's probably my least favorite of the boost games (although looking back idk about Colors these days, in some ways I think this game might be better), but it's not my least favorite 3D Sonic game. I like it more than Lost World, I like it more than 06, Heroes, and Shadow. It definitely is in the same area for me as Sonic R, a short flawed game with some interesting cheesy tracks (with the exception of Classic's music, ekk) that for some reason just works for me. I gotta say the Avatar system surprised me and I hope it comes back in some way, although hopefully with expanded customization. Like if they made a game that was just Tag Team stages with a Sonic Mania 12 stages with 2 acts approach I think I'd have a lot of fun with it. They just really have to up their game with the level design.

Graphics team gets an A+ from me though, they did a great job.
This post has been edited by Dark Sonic: 23 February 2018 - 12:10 PM

#6251 User is offline Windii 

Posted 23 February 2018 - 06:36 PM

• 朴念仁のエッグマン

View PostLozicle, on 19 February 2018 - 06:28 PM, said:

Some of the lines are really out-of-place. “80% of our force has been wiped out”? “Sonic has been tortured for months”? Unsure if this is the writer's fault or the localization.

Yeah, unfortunately it's the localization at it again. In fact, everything about the game's localization is basically SA2 with the English cleaned up. Plot details are muddied, lines and whole dialogues are rewritten, characters say a lot more cringe-worthy/tone-deaf stuff, etc. All for seemingly no reason. I mean, it may not actually be the case, but I can't help but wonder if all those changes were all an "I'm smarter than the Japanese writers" kind of mentality on Graff's part. Which is pretty stupid since most of his changes ended up making certain plot details more nonsensical than they were. Of course the "80% of the troops have been destroyed" is still the same in Japanese, but anyway.

For example, here's a bunch of the more egregious dialogues I can think of, and their Japanese counterparts:
Spoiler

Also I made a cutscene vid a couple months back. I'll probably make another video (or at least a Pastebin script) dedicated to all the radio chatter one of these days, because there's a LOT more examples than I can currently think of.

Of course, slightly improved dialogue can't fix the overall narrative, but at least I cringe at what these characters say a lot less. Plus, it's got all the voice actors I know and have loved for decades. (RIP Eggman)

#6252 User is online Blue Blood 

Posted 23 February 2018 - 07:36 PM

• Wiki edits:6
That dialogue isn't anywhere near as different as I was expecting from reading your post. Sonic has still be "tormented" by Eggman for X months, Knuckles is still spouting rubbish about war and Eggman has terabytes of photos of himself. There's really not a lot of change there at all. Translating "torment" to "torture" just makes me wonder what the difference is in Japanese. In English at least, the two words mean essentially the same thing with different levels of severity.

What does Tails say in the Japanese closing cutscene when he says "true dat" in English? Cause that line is fucking horrible.

#6253 User is offline Stink Terios 

Posted 23 February 2018 - 08:09 PM

Man, it's baffling how graphically unimpressive this game is, even though it's significantly more demanding. Maxed out, 1080p Forces looks good, but pushes my 750Ti to its limits and drops some frames. Meanwhile Generations looks A LOT better at the same settings while using only about 60% of GPU power, leaving room for some FAT supersampling on top of that. Remember when Sonic games were some of the prettiest games around? I miss that.

#6254 User is offline Windii 

Posted 24 February 2018 - 01:17 AM

• 朴念仁のエッグマン
The verb for "tormenting" can also mean "harassing" or "teasing," so make of that what you will. Either way, they're still not explicitly saying "tortured," so it counts as an improvement in my book.

View PostBlue Blood, on 23 February 2018 - 07:36 PM, said:

What does Tails say in the Japanese closing cutscene when he says "true dat" in English? Cause that line is fucking horrible.

He says, "You're right!". It's in my cutscene video.

#6255 User is offline Lozicle 

Posted 24 February 2018 - 03:44 PM

It kinda seems like the localization team was handed the Japanese script but were told by the higher-ups "make it a bit darker; our fans want a darker story-line."
Still, I'm glad Eggman keeps pictures of himself in both versions. That sounds a lot like him.
This post has been edited by Lozicle: 24 February 2018 - 03:47 PM

• 422 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum