Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Monthly downloadable backup package (Jul 1st, 2011) - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Jump to content

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 3 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
    Locked
    Locked Forum

Monthly downloadable backup package (Jul 1st, 2011) Now up!

#1 User is offline Simon 

Posted 01 March 2005 - 08:10 PM

  • Posts: 1538
  • Joined: 17-December 02
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canadia
  • Wiki edits:1
Away from the Internet and wanting to read Sonic Retro? Guess I'm out of luck, you say? Not anymore! Now there'll be a monthly backup package of the Sonic Retro forums for off-line reading. This is a must for hardcore Sonic research/hacking fans.

Current package: Jul 1st, 2011 (52494668 bytes)

After downloading, unzip and open _index.html to view all the juicy stuff.

ALL topics and posts in these subforums are included:
General Sonic Games
General Sonic Games -- Archive
Engineering & Reverse Engineering
Engineering & Reverse Engineering -- Archive
Prototype Discussion
Sonic 2 HD
Community SVN Project
Gens/GS

This post, and the package, will be updated each month.
This post has been edited by Retro Backup Bot: 01 July 2011 - 01:30 AM

#2 User is offline Syren 

Posted 02 March 2005 - 03:03 AM

  • Posts: 4331
  • Joined: 20-March 04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Teesside, UK
  • Project:Reintergration
Wow, this is very nice. Now, when S2B's offline, I can browse through the E+RE/Archives and see if I can learn something.... or masturbate.

#3 User is offline Qjimbo 

Posted 02 March 2005 - 07:40 AM

  • Your friendly neighbourhood lemming.
  • Posts: 4408
  • Joined: 17-February 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Vancouver
  • Wiki edits:69

Syren, on Mar 2 2005, 03:03 AM, said:

Wow, this is very nice. Now, when S2B's offline, I can browse through the E+RE/Archives and see if I can learn something.... or masturbate.

You mention that last point WAY too often :P

Anyway, nice work on the backup simon!

#4 User is offline Sonic McTails 

Posted 02 March 2005 - 02:01 PM

  • Posts: 35
  • Joined: 01-April 04
  • Location:Won't you like to know
  • Project:Sonic Classic/SSonicNet
Simon, how about an SQL version of this. It would be better for me if I could just load an SQL dummy thing, log in after creating a default password (aka wipe all personal info from the database), and then I can search and make notes in invidual topics.

#5 User is offline Simon 

Posted 02 March 2005 - 09:24 PM

  • Posts: 1538
  • Joined: 17-December 02
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canadia
  • Wiki edits:1

Sonic McTails, on Mar 2 2005, 02:01 PM, said:

Simon, how about an SQL version of this. It would be better for me if I could just load an SQL dummy thing, log in after creating a default password (aka wipe all personal info from the database), and then I can search and make notes in invidual topics.

Not many people can make use of an SQL dump of this; they would need access to an SQL server. On the other hand, everyone can just unzip it and start reading the html.

An SQL dump would make it too easy for people to start a new forum based on existing content of S2B, a possibility I don't want to open up. This backup is more meant to be read-only, like a piece of history. Of course, I do full SQL dumps routinely for disaster-recovery purpose.

#6 User is offline Sonic McTails 

Posted 03 March 2005 - 12:47 AM

  • Posts: 35
  • Joined: 01-April 04
  • Location:Won't you like to know
  • Project:Sonic Classic/SSonicNet
Well, what if you leave out the member database. If a post exists with no user exists, everyone becomes just unregistered guests. Also, MS Access (in theory, not pratice) could be used as the database backend.

#7 User is offline Qjimbo 

Posted 03 March 2005 - 07:09 AM

  • Your friendly neighbourhood lemming.
  • Posts: 4408
  • Joined: 17-February 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Vancouver
  • Wiki edits:69
Sounds like a lot of hassle that isn't needed to me.

#8 User is offline LocalH 

Posted 03 March 2005 - 02:31 PM

  • roxoring your soxors
  • Posts: 3211
  • Joined: 11-January 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:wouldn't you like to know
  • Project:Guitar Hero II: Rhythm Games Community Edition aka Pizza Hero II: Electric Pizza
  • Wiki edits:3

Simon's link said:

Sorry, this site is temporarily unavailable!

The web site you are trying to access has exceeded its allocated data transfer.

Access to this site will be restored within an hour. Please try again later.
http://

If you continue to have trouble, visit our help area for information and assistance.


#9 User is offline Simon 

Posted 03 March 2005 - 07:34 PM

  • Posts: 1538
  • Joined: 17-December 02
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canadia
  • Wiki edits:1

LocalH, on Mar 3 2005, 02:31 PM, said:

Simon's link said:

Sorry, this site is temporarily unavailable!

The web site you are trying to access has exceeded its allocated data transfer.

Access to this site will be restored within an hour. Please try again later.
http://

If you continue to have trouble, visit our help area for information and assistance.

Updated link in original post. Try now.

SMT said:

Well, what if you leave out the member database. If a post exists with no user exists, everyone becomes just unregistered guests. Also, MS Access (in theory, not pratice) could be used as the database backend.

Hmm, it still isn't any more useful or any easier to use than plain HTML for the majority of members.

#10 User is offline JetBlack 

Posted 29 March 2005 - 09:22 AM

  • Desu? Fuck off!
  • Posts: 104
  • Joined: 22-December 04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Hull, United Kingdom
  • Project:Nothing yet!
very good idea simon! :)

#11 User is offline Tweaker 

Posted 03 October 2005 - 08:41 AM

  • Posts: 12389
  • Joined: 27-June 04
  • Gender:Male
I may be neglecting to check this thing, but do you include Sonic Programming in the package? There's a lot of handy info in there. If it isn't, could you? Thanks.

#12 User is offline LOst 

Posted 03 October 2005 - 11:06 PM

  • Posts: 4886
  • Joined: 10-January 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Wiki edits:2
Simon has now made backups for months! He is such a work machine.

#13 User is offline Simon 

Posted 04 October 2005 - 01:00 AM

  • Posts: 1538
  • Joined: 17-December 02
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canadia
  • Wiki edits:1

Tweaker, on Oct 3 2005, 09:41 AM, said:

I may be neglecting to check this thing, but do you include Sonic Programming in the package? There's a lot of handy info in there. If it isn't, could you? Thanks.

No, the Sonic Programming subforum is not included. Talk to LOst if you have a problem with this.

LOst said:

Simon has now made backups for months! He is such a work machine.

Hmm the backup process is fully automated. It's too much of a chore to do it manually each month.

#14 User is offline LOst 

Posted 04 October 2005 - 09:20 PM

  • Posts: 4886
  • Joined: 10-January 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Wiki edits:2

Simon, on Oct 4 2005, 09:00 AM, said:

Tweaker, on Oct 3 2005, 09:41 AM, said:

I may be neglecting to check this thing, but do you include Sonic Programming in the package? There's a lot of handy info in there. If it isn't, could you? Thanks.

No, the Sonic Programming subforum is not included. Talk to LOst if you have a problem with this.

Only real members can see that sub forum by my request. If any people can download it, than that rule would be useless. Perfect chaos is one reason why the forum is hidden. There may be other reasons that I won't take them up here and now.

#15 User is offline Tweaker 

Posted 05 October 2005 - 08:39 AM

  • Posts: 12389
  • Joined: 27-June 04
  • Gender:Male
He can see it. He's posted in it before.

Also note that only real members can view the member lounge to download this. :P
This post has been edited by Tweaker: 05 October 2005 - 08:40 AM

  • 3 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
    Locked
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users